Author Topic: How does the presidency affect you personally?  (Read 8042 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: How does the presidency affect you personally?
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2008, 08:34:34 PM »
Well that's only true on mundane local issues.  Feds call the ultimate shot and all these departments, department of transportation etc etc, get their appointments from the president.  This all guides the nation with a cumulative direction.  Just considering the appointment power of the president alone is enough for any American to take personal interest in who is elected. With congress, we have long left the time that members vote individually.  For the most part these days they vote the party and the president's party has for the most part backed him in hole.  So if they have a majority, if they don't have a majority has become the main issue of congress serving as a legitimate check againts the presidency.  That's an unknown now when looking to future presidents.  So far this president has gotten his way even with a small dem lead in congress.  Part of that is due to the fact that the dems seem to be still operating under the way it was while the republican march as a whole and we could go on with a few more reasons.

I disagree.  The issues I mentioned are hardly mundane.  We have 18 state departments here dealing with everything from transportation, to crime, to education, labor, budget and finance, agriculture, business, etc.  Essentially everything that impacts our day-to-day living.  There are county equivalents for many of these departments.  This is where most of the rubber meets the road.    

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2008, 08:36:10 PM »
yes it is also true BB that the president took wartime authorities on a great many things outside of congress.  The justice department's loyal bushie gave his the consitutional legal opinion to skip congress on a lot of shit.

Berserker, AG retired several months ago.  The statute of limitations has clearly run out.  I say we give him a golden parachute package and focus our energies on impeaching mayors who text the F-word to their mistresses.  Rampant constititional abuses are one thing, but this guy having an affair is way huger.  I was just telling my college students that tonight, after I had dinner with the Easter Bunny and Ronald Reagan, who I voted against.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2008, 08:38:45 PM »
Congressional approval didn't matter when he authorized illegal wiretaps. Congressional approval didn't matter when he vetoed legislation. it didn't matter when he used signing statements. And it didn't matter when he made the US the laughing stock of the world. it didn't matter when he squandered the unprecedented support from allies and even former enemies after 911. There were men & women in the streets of Tehran crying & holding candles for the 911 victims right after 911. I don't think there are as many now.

He was checked by the judiciary regarding wiretaps.  A veto can be overridden.  Signing statements do not have the force and effect of law.  About the closest he can come to unilateral, significant action is his role as Commander in Chief.  But even then Congress controls the purse strings. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2008, 08:40:03 PM »
yes it is also true BB that the president took wartime authorities on a great many things outside of congress.  The justice department's loyal bushie gave his the consitutional legal opinion to skip congress on a lot of shit.

You mean the war that he started with Congressional approval that Congress has continued to fund? 

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2008, 08:40:34 PM »
Well, Abortion should be taken off the table forever just so people can shut the fvck up about it either way.

Maybe I'm not being specific enough. A few people have been pissed at Bush, hated Hillary or thought Obama sucked too... but no one has really shown how their actual personal intrests or bottom line would be affected bu the election. Even 240 didn't come up with a conspiracy that included selling more websites!!!

I just don't get how people that passionate about something can't give a lucid, simple explanation about how/why it's important. None of them serve my intrests and nothing would change at all.

Well, I'm not willing to ask again, LOL! HC will end up responding "because". :)

Congressional approval didn't matter when he authorized illegal wiretaps. Congressional approval didn't matter when he vetoed legislation. it didn't matter when he used signing statements. And it didn't matter when he made the US the laughing stock of the world. it didn't matter when he squandered the unprecedented support from allies and even former enemies after 911. There were men & women in the streets of Tehran crying & holding candles for the 911 victims right after 911. I don't think there are as many now.

Judi,

At this point 911 really doesn't matter and I'm bored shitless with repubs pissing their pants saying "911 changed everything" and that a democratic president gurantees another attack. I'm specifically trying to find out if someone can demonstrate how/why the presidency affects them. My guess is a huge percentage of americans might feel more included on an emotional level but in reality their lives probably wouldn't change either way.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »
You mean the war that he started with Congressional approval that Congress has continued to fund? 

If you weren't teaching PhDs how to knit all day, you'd see Bush on TV quite often telling congress they'll pass his bill, or they don't love the troops.  They've continually tried to stop it, but he keeps telling FOX news that blood is on their hands if they stop the $.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2008, 08:47:54 PM »

I just don't get how people that passionate about something can't give a lucid, simple explanation about how/why it's important. None of them serve my intrests and nothing would change at all.

Well, I'm not willing to ask again, LOL! HC will end up responding "because". :)

I know, I'm in shock as well. I expected more here to at least have some inkling about how their lives are affected by the presidency. Shoot, ...I'm a Canuck, and even I know the im[act the presidency will have oon my life. Didn't include it because I know the reaction will be "who cares, you're Canadian".
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2008, 09:05:54 PM »
I know, I'm in shock as well. I expected more here to at least have some inkling about how their lives are affected by the presidency. Shoot, ...I'm a Canuck, and even I know the im[act the presidency will have oon my life. Didn't include it because I know the reaction will be "who cares, you're Canadian".

You Canadians should be happy.... look at where the canadian dollar was when Clinton took office!

Ross Perot's crazy ass warned us all that American workers would be the biggest losers with NAFTA and GAT but no one listened.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2008, 09:17:26 PM »
I disagree.  The issues I mentioned are hardly mundane.  We have 18 state departments here dealing with everything from transportation, to crime, to education, labor, budget and finance, agriculture, business, etc.  Essentially everything that impacts our day-to-day living.  There are county equivalents for many of these departments.  This is where most of the rubber meets the road.    
but not where the national direction goes which in turn affects local departments ;)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2008, 09:19:16 PM »
no, I mean more than that ::) He's taken quite a bit of liberty with his wartime power,...

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2008, 10:05:20 PM »
You Canadians should be happy.... look at where the canadian dollar was when Clinton took office!

Ross Perot's crazy ass warned us all that American workers would be the biggest losers with NAFTA and GAT but no one listened.

Why should I be happy about the state of the Canadian dollar. I earn my income in US?  :-\

In life, just as in poker, ...it's not always about the cards you're dealt, ...it how you play them.

Regardless of who is in office, financially I will not only survive, but thrive, and prosper abundantly.

My sail is always set to catch the wind, whichever way it blows. I may not be happy about a foul smelling wind, but darnit, if that wind is gonna blow, ...it's gonna power my sail and carry me to my intended destination.

The challenge is, one cannot get to the promised land alone, you need people there... happy prosperous people

Up here in Canada, most of us are praying for a Democratic win south of the border. We realize it will have a negative impact on our economy, and the value of our dollar will probably dip somewhat because no doubt the Dems will take care of the US economy and bring some stability and value back to your dollar, ...but we realize short term pain for long term gain and stability is what is needed in order for the countries on this continent not to go to hell in a hand basket. The US is our biggest trading partner. Your economy tanks, it takes ours with it along with many others around the globe. We could have 4 more years of Bush (via McCain), ...but that would destroy the US economy completely leading to further instability in the US, the middle east, and the world. An invasion of Iran shuts down the straits of Hormuz. That's ok, Canada has oil. But what do you do about nuclear armageddon? That's the path we're on with these guys in charge. It's time for America to turn her sights homeward towards taking care of the domestic issues in her country... NOW! When you strengthen you economy, you strengthen your country, ...and by extension your military. We're all on this little blue / green marble together, and we need to look out for each other, ...even when some people don't know what is best for them. And right now... Barack Obama is the best shot you guys have of turning things around.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2008, 10:41:30 PM »
but not where the national direction goes which in turn affects local departments ;)

I never said there was no impact.  Most of the things that we really care about are primarily controlled by the agencies I mentioned, not the president. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2008, 10:43:59 PM »
no, I mean more than that ::) He's taken quite a bit of liberty with his wartime power,...

Namely?  What liberty has been taken from you? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2008, 10:49:59 PM »
Namely?  What liberty has been taken from you? 
re-read my statement.  you read it wrong.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2008, 10:59:45 PM »
I never said there was no impact.  Most of the things that really care about are primarily controlled by the agencies I mentioned, not the president. 

Another dumbass statement from our dumbass in residence.

It's not like the president doesn't appoint the heads of most agencies  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2008, 11:02:30 PM »
re-read my statement.  you read it wrong.

Ah so.  You mean taking liberties with decisions, not taking individual liberties we enjoy in the Constitution? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2008, 11:04:56 PM »
Another dumbass statement from our dumbass in residence.

It's not like the president doesn't appoint the heads of most agencies  ::)

lol.  The grammar Nazi is wrong again.  No, the president does not appoint the head of state and county agencies.   ::)   

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2008, 11:06:34 PM »
lol.  The grammar Nazi is wrong again.  No, the president does not appoint the head of state and county agencies.   ::)   

Yeah, 'cause they're the ones who're listening to phone conversations and monitoring internet posts.   ::)

why don't you go create a "raucous" somewhere else?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2008, 11:08:49 PM »
Ah so.  You mean taking liberties with decisions, not taking individual liberties we enjoy in the Constitution? 
I wasn't even going to that issue.  I was speaking only with him being liberal with his war powers.  Some of that was covered in tonight's Frontline episode.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2008, 11:20:32 PM »
As soon as we needed a mod, he was suddenly a PhD who taught psychology in Hawaii.  He's living the dream, baby! 

Where'd you get this from, 240? it's just like I said.  See bolded font.

Give it a rest, 240, you're not going to get anywhere with the willfully blind.

Judging from the way he writes, BB definitely has a college degree of some sort.  But it's probably from a school one step above a degree mill, UNLV or some place where critical thinking does n't exist (Ok, I'm being totally unfair to UNLV here, as I have no idea of what goes on there.... it's just one of those schools that I know is out there, somewhere in the backwoods of America :D

He might even be a teacher as he claims.  Does not take much to teach at some schools.  Probably got an MA in ed psych or an MBA from a degree mill.  

He also probably watched a bunch of Court TV & Fox.... which leads him to come on here and drop terms like "Due Process" and then say, "doesn't matter what the law says."  On the one hand, the law makes it ok to kill, and so he gives it porps, and on the other, the law doesn't know wtf it's doing.

Never mind that the "due process" accorded to most death row inmates has been shown by study after study to be little more than a joke.  But hey, when you graduate from UNLV  :D and when Jesus is your personal "blesser", you don't care about shit like that.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2008, 01:43:27 AM »
I disagree.  The issues I mentioned are hardly mundane.  We have 18 state departments here dealing with everything from transportation, to crime, to education, labor, budget and finance, agriculture, business, etc.  Essentially everything that impacts our day-to-day living.  There are county equivalents for many of these departments.  

This is where most of the rubber meets the road.    

It doesn't matter where the rubber meets the road if you can't afford the fuel, ...the vehicle isn't going anywhere.

How much is the price of gas in Hawaii these days?

w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2008, 02:09:42 AM »
And let us not forget the gift of Unnecessary Censorship they've bequeathed to your society.  >:(

w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2008, 02:35:41 AM »
censorship my ass... We'll see... Keep it up, we'll hardly have to justify another ban when the complaints keep flowing in ;)  A word of advice, you best stop now.  As said, your political opinions are welcome but we're going to draw the line even at the "slight of hand" pimping of yours...   Keep doing it, there will be a concensus....  Keep in mind, we are not being picky, we are acting on complaints at you doing exactly this.  I'm sure you can post your political opinions without filling our inbox with complaints, that shouldn't be hard for you to do.

Ace ;)

3.... 2...

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2008, 08:08:32 AM »
He was checked by the judiciary regarding wiretaps.  ... 
What do you mean?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2008, 08:48:27 AM »
What do you mean?

Judge: NSA warrantless wiretapping unconstitutional
Updated 8/17/2006 10:44 PM ET

By David Jackson, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — President Bush's warrantless surveillance program is unconstitutional because it authorizes illegal searches, a federal judge ruled Thursday.
"There are no hereditary kings in America and no powers not created by the Constitution," wrote U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor in Detroit.

. . .

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-08-17-judge-nsa_x.htm