Author Topic: Opening Day...One week away!!  (Read 5487 times)

dov

• Getbig IV
Re: Opening Day...One week away!!
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »
The Yankees are projected through PECOTA to have a 30% chance to score 1000 runs.  The next closest teams are tied at 2%.  The offense looks very good.  I give credit to Girardi for calling all players' agents in the offseason and telling them that they'd better report to camp in shape.  This seemed to have impacts ons Giambi and Abreu and Damon healthwise, although Damon's spring hasn't been special.

They won 94 games with a staff that averaged 4 2/3 innings and had a ridiculous amount of injuries in the  beginning.  They were easily the best team in baseball over the last 120 games.

They have greatly improved the bench, and the bullpen looks  to be solidified from the mess it was last year.

If healthy, they should have no excuse for not making the playoffs.
Girardi was a great choice to manage the Yanks..he did a great job down here with the Marlins..he and the front office butted heads though...will be interesting to see how off the field relations will be dealing with front office things... 8)

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 01:26:49 PM »
President Bush will throw out the 1st pitch tonight in Washington...it won't be to catcher Paul LoDuca though, but to one of the coaches ..I think..This is due to LoDuca being named in the Mitchell Report..OH SHITE!!

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 07:35:36 PM »
Verlander is a stud and might win 20 games. I don't think Willis will ever regain the form he had earlier in his career, but he could be a 2 or 3 starter. After that there is questions.

Speaking of Verlander, I was at his no hitter last year. Absolutly amazing.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 08:36:58 AM »
The more i think about I don't like the Tigers. Don't get me wrong, they have an incredible lineup. After Verlander they have a huge drop in the rotation and the bullpen is shaky at best. Pitching wins titles and right now Detroit doesn't have it. Cleveland is the team to beat in the AL right now.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 09:51:14 AM »
The more i think about I don't like the Tigers. Don't get me wrong, they have an incredible lineup. After Verlander they have a huge drop in the rotation and the bullpen is shaky at best. Pitching wins titles and right now Detroit doesn't have it. Cleveland is the team to beat in the AL right now.

I agree.  There's been a number of us at my home site that think Detroit's overrated.  Their starting pitching is completely suspect after Verlander, and their closer sucks.

If they get to the playoffs, it's anyone's game, but it should be a fight to get there.
Y

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2008, 06:54:43 PM »

I hate to say it but you may be right. Unless something crazy happens the pitching or lack of will sink them.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 07:03:41 AM »
Mass04, Rimbaud, and Grape Ape looking smart right now in terms of Detroit.   Let's see if it holds up.
Y

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 09:01:46 AM »
Mass04, Rimbaud, and Grape Ape looking smart right now in terms of Detroit.   Let's see if it holds up.
damn tey got smoked last night

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2008, 10:26:22 AM »
I was down at the Marlins game Sat. night vs. Pirates...Jacobs hit a granny to seal the deal..Hanley Ramirez is as good as advertised..that guy can really do it all..3rd base is , of course, a concern..with Cabrera gone..Jorge Cantu started at 3rd Sat and he fckin sucks..I don't know how in the hell this guy is in the big leagues...the next day they acquired Wes Helms..thank god...I'm guessing he's there to play 3rd base..u guys been to any games yet???

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2008, 07:52:38 PM »
Hanley is a stud.  Another great young player the Marlins have acquired.  They have an incredible eye for talent.   2 championships in the last 10 seasons is pretty good for a team that stopped spending money and includes the disgracefull sell off of a championship team by Huizenga.   I really wish Cleveland won it that year.
Y

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2008, 07:38:06 AM »
damn tey got smoked last night

I was there...I ended up leaving in the 6th inning. I've been to about 30 games since the start of 2007 & that was only the second I left early (I was sick at the other one).

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 09:36:20 AM »
Hanley is a stud.  Another great young player the Marlins have acquired.  They have an incredible eye for talent.   2 championships in the last 10 seasons is pretty good for a team that stopped spending money and includes the disgracefull sell off of a championship team by Huizenga.   I really wish Cleveland won it that year.
Sad to say, he'll probably be another great player they trade away or leaves.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2008, 09:36:30 AM »
Hey! How about them Orioles!

Best record in the American League so far! :D

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2008, 09:42:24 AM »
Hey! How about them Orioles!

Best record in the American League so far! :D
if only the season was 6 games long!!!!!Every team wins 60 games and loses 60 games....it's the other 42 games that decide the season! Let's go Marlins 8)

milfer

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2008, 11:21:27 AM »
Atlanta Braves all the way!!!
?

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2008, 01:12:24 PM »
if only the season was 6 games long!!!!!Every team wins 60 games and loses 60 games....it's the other 42 games that decide the season! Let's go Marlins 8)

I know--shut up! :)

The O's do this every year. Come out of the gate strong, show their true colors, and then falter come summer time.

They are winning 6-0 over Texas right now though. ;D

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2008, 05:55:35 PM »
I know--shut up! :)

The O's do this every year. Come out of the gate strong, show their true colors, and then falter come summer time.

They are winning 6-0 over Texas right now though. ;D
Dude, I'm a Marlins fan....I know, I know.....haha...we finish strong and then TOTALLY DISMANTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2008, 06:52:20 PM »
Dude, I'm a Marlins fan....I know, I know.....haha...we finish strong and then TOTALLY DISMANTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beckett, Penny, Pavano, Burnett, Willis, Cabrera, and soon, Hanley.   You must enjoy pain.  At least Pavano and Burnett are pretty much always injured.
Y

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2008, 02:30:12 AM »
Beckett, Penny, Pavano, Burnett, Willis, Cabrera, and soon, Hanley.   You must enjoy pain.  At least Pavano and Burnett are pretty much always injured.
No kidding!!  Hey, we just got Wes Helms back!!!!!!!!!!!LMAO

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2008, 06:28:03 AM »

Yeah but at least you have 2 championships in the last decade. That's 2 more titles than 75% of the MLB teams have in that same period.

You have a hell of a scouting team working for the Marlins. Still don't understand why they traded Cabrera. Guy's not even 25 years old yet.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2008, 06:36:30 AM »
Still don't understand why they traded Cabrera. Guy's not even 25 years old yet.

His would have been awarded a salary in arbitration that was probably 60-70% of their total payroll.  Plus, they were able rid themselves of Willis in the process.
Y

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2008, 06:51:46 AM »
Cabrera put on about 50 lbs. in the past 2 years hangin in Little Havana........not to mention the HGH!!!!! I could see this guy looking like Cecil Fielder in a few years... :o

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2008, 06:54:41 AM »
No team has ever started 0-7 and made the playoffs.....hmm..I may wanna change my prediction about the Tigers!! ;D

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2008, 07:27:50 AM »
Cabrera put on about 50 lbs. in the past 2 years hangin in Little Havana........not to mention the HGH!!!!! I could see this guy looking like Cecil Fielder in a few years... :o

Yeah, he is turning into a porker. What's up with the weight gain? It's not all muscle either.

He'll become a liability defensively if he keeps it up. Strictly DH'ing in a few years.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2008, 04:06:41 PM »

I'd would've rather the Tiger's got some decent relief pitching then him.