Author Topic: Calcium/ Magnesium/ Zinc  (Read 10576 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Calcium/ Magnesium/ Zinc
« on: May 07, 2008, 04:03:22 AM »
How many of you take it?  Effective?

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: Calcium/ Magnesium/ Zinc
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 04:54:23 AM »
How many of you take it?  Effective?

i take it.

effective? can't say anything about calcium and magnesium, they are obviously good for you and cheap.

zinc makes me feel more energetic and makes me sleep well. i take it togethr with chrome and selen. it's a combi-supp.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 06:39:26 AM »
i take it.

effective? can't say anything about calcium and magnesium, they are obviously good for you and cheap.

zinc makes me feel more energetic and makes me sleep well. i take it togethr with chrome and selen. it's a combi-supp.

yep.. once i started taking a few supps that contained zinc i started sleeping alot better. DK is spot on as usual

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:09:00 AM »
tried it for a month

not sure it did enough good to warrent buying it regularly
Z

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 05:14:15 AM »
tried it for a month

not sure it did enough good to warrent buying it regularly

is it expensive in CR?

I buy my calcium and magnesium in a german supermarket, one months supply costs me about 2 euros.

Zinc is different, in germany one months supply would cost me about 25 Euros, i buy it in Japan where the combo of Zinc, Chrome and Selen costs me 2 Euros per month.
I can't say why, but zinc is so expensive in germany. Most supplements come in 3g caps.  >:(

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 02:32:16 AM »
i take it.

Do you take 15mg per day?
S

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 02:48:33 AM »
I took ZMA but it gave me vivid and bad dreams.
As DK says you need all of them but as far as BB goes I am not sure if it does any good.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 03:16:43 AM »
Zinc and magnesium are good - never tried taking calcium supplements as I tend to get a lot of my protein with milk, and the calcium in the milk should be enough for me.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 06:23:26 AM »
many athletes are deficient in zinc, beradi regularly gives his athletes over 100mgs for a quite some time to correct imbalance. it catalyzes so many reactions in your body and does have a direct effect on hormonal levels along with catecholamines.

i would definitely supplement with zinc if your training hard for  the above stated reasons. high dose magnesium is also a good idea.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 12:37:26 AM »
i do dream more on it... very odd lol...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 04:30:03 PM »
as zma its pretty expensive if i were to take it year round

ive heard many talk about it affecting their dreams though, but i never get to sleep long enough to actually dream between posts so i cant tell
Z

Alex23

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 11:11:23 PM »
as zma its pretty expensive if i were to take it year round

ive heard many talk about it affecting their dreams though, but i never get to sleep long enough to actually dream between posts so i cant tell

Quoted for nutritional honesty.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 11:29:19 PM »
Do you take 15mg per day?

yes, 30mg when i feel sick.

bigerthanu

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 07:23:27 PM »
take mhp cyclin gh it has all that stuff and works great and you will sleep like a baby

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 10:17:35 AM »
It was my understanding that you shouldn't take Zinc & Magnesium with Calcium containing foods or supplements, because the Calcium would block the Z & M's absorption?

I'm fairly certain that it's stated on the bottle of most ZMA products.

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 07:14:57 AM »
Just to follow up on my last statement...  See these nutrition labels for ZMA products (read the Recommended Use):

http://www25.netrition.com/zmass_pm_page.html

http://www25.netrition.com/iss_zma_page.html

http://www25.netrition.com/kaizen_zma_pm_page.html

http://www25.netrition.com/musclelink_tmz_page.html

But to sum up, they all say: For Best Results, Avoid Taking With Dairy Or Other Calcium-Containing Foods Or Supplements.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 01:10:49 PM »
It was my understanding that you shouldn't take Zinc & Magnesium with Calcium containing foods or supplements, because the Calcium would block the Z & M's absorption?

That is true.  Actually, calcium compromises the absorption of many minerals.
:

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 01:27:04 PM »
okay so how would absorbign calcium effect the bodies ability to absorb any other nutrient/mineral/vitamin..?   i guess every other vitamin nutrient and mineral inside of milk and green leafy vegetables is useless since those items contain calcium? whats the deal here? 

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 01:34:45 PM »
okay so how would absorbign calcium effect the bodies ability to absorb any other nutrient/mineral/vitamin..?   i guess every other vitamin nutrient and mineral inside of milk and green leafy vegetables is useless since those items contain calcium? whats the deal here? 

I don't think she said it was useless.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 01:37:43 PM »
I don't think she said it was useless.
no, but that is pretty much my point exactly..   "competing for abosbtion"..id like to see some kind of study shwoing that this is real and has a significant impact at all...   the only way i can see anything SORT of like that happening is with dietary fiber binding to fat in the intestines..   other wise your pretty much going to absorb 100%

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 01:45:27 PM »
no, but that is pretty much my point exactly..   "competing for abosbtion"..id like to see some kind of study shwoing that this is real and has a significant impact at all...   the only way i can see anything SORT of like that happening is with dietary fiber binding to fat in the intestines..   other wise your pretty much going to absorb 100%

There are many studies out there showing this.  Calcium is a very dense mineral and our bodies do a poor job of absorbing it even in the most ideal conditions.  Each person is different in how well they absorb it and what form is best absorbed for them.  Minerals too.  Depends on the form as to how well they're absorbed.  Many factors...

These 2 articles have many good points to consider.

http://paleodiet.com/losspts.txt

http://www.americanlongevity.net/misc/mineral_absorption.php

:

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 01:50:50 PM »
both of those links do address the fact that you at time do ntot absorb minerals for some reasons...  but neither shows that ingested cerating things together causes one to not get absorbed.. thats what i mean... 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 02:41:07 PM »

they compete for transport. similar to ingesting multiple aminos at one time. for instance tyrosine causes increases in dopamine and norepinephrine via tyrosine hydroxylase and ingesting 2 grams of tyrosine would leave one feeling speedy, but if you take it with other aminos, co transporters, symporters, antiporters etc cause multiple effects which cause tyrosines effects to be moot.

in the same way calcium decreases magnesium absorption, b6 increases zincs. there are multiple nutrient interactions. B12 is a cofactor in alot of reactions for example, so a lack would lead to other nutrient deficiets along. There are alot of examples. Milk is bad to take with green tea for example.

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 06:44:04 AM »

Minerals can affect other minerals absorption.  No, calcium won't have much of an effect on any vitamins, amino acids, nutrients of any kind - except other minerals.  You do know the difference between minerals and vitamins right?

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 07:56:53 AM »
i do dream more on it... very odd lol...

I'm glad I read this.  I thought I was going nuts.  I was in the middle of a flood and my car was filling up with water - just a couple of nights ago (LOL).