Author Topic: Celtic Strongman 2008  (Read 1677 times)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Celtic Strongman 2008
« on: June 18, 2008, 06:20:44 PM »
Right guys, I have put my name down for a drug free strongman comp in August of this year. I know what most of the events will be and most of my gym training should compliment them. One thing I would like to ask is how I could train for a 130kg hold each hand for time considering the dbs in my gym only go to 50kg? (  :( ) This is an event I know will be very weak for me because I have had an injury in my left wrist for almost three months now. It's a pity, because the grip in my right hand is pretty good at the moment  >:(

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: Celtic Strongman 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:00:36 PM »
Double overhand shrugs with heavy weight. You can do this in one hand as well (suitcase DL).

Try farmers handles. I made my farmers out of iron pipe from the plumbing section in Home Depot. They have held near 300lbs a piece without bending and cost less than $30.

A rolling thunder handle would be great. IronMind.com has them.

I heard Kaz say once that "there is only one way to be able to hold that much weight in your hands and thats by lifting big weight in the gym everyday." 

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 07:24:08 AM »
Double overhand shrugs with heavy weight. You can do this in one hand as well (suitcase DL).

Try farmers handles. I made my farmers out of iron pipe from the plumbing section in Home Depot. They have held near 300lbs a piece without bending and cost less than $30.

A rolling thunder handle would be great. IronMind.com has them.

I heard Kaz say once that "there is only one way to be able to hold that much weight in your hands and thats by lifting big weight in the gym everyday." 

Perfect advice!

Suitcase DL, double overhand DL, double overhand shrugs...

Throw your straps in the trash if you use them. my grip is one of my best strengths, i do all my rows and chins with a thumbless grip. i haven't used straps in years and i use a lot of chalk.

i don't train forearms, i just train my "grip"...farmer's walks, static holds, plate flips.

Good luck mate, i know you will do well.

8)

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 04:33:49 PM »
1. Use no straps on any movements.

2. Rolling Thunder

3. Pinch plates for time

4. If you chin or do pull ups, use a towel or ropes without the end grips

5. Static holds with a towel hanging from a pull up bar (or whatever) for time. Start with bodyweight and progress.

6. If your weight only go to 50kg. Farmers walks.

7 . If you have to train for 130kg and only have 50kg. Get sandbags of equal weight and put them in a dufflebag.

8. Train with a fat bar.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 05:18:43 PM »
Thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate the advice. I'm going to buy a rolling thunder when I get paid at the end of the month.

I already train with no straps, so my grip is reasonable, it's just a matter of conditioning myself to long static holds.

Again, thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!!  :)