Author Topic: London vote: Conservative or wot? This is the first time I've  (Read 5312 times)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
actually been able to vote in an election that might mean something.

In the past, my votes were were wasted because Labour have a landslide.  But now we have an election in London that might sway things.

Although I adore Ken, I reckon he's been there far too long.  (And I'm old enough to remember the GLC and everything Ken's done for London.

Also my family and their parents and grandparents were all working class Liverpuddlian Labour voters, until my Dad became an engineer and we all went kinda middle class and moved to Essex and then Canada and he started voting Conservative.  All those taxes !

I did vote for Pierre Trudeau more than once when I lived in Canada ages ago, I even kissed him on each cheek and then shook his hand once, that worked!  edit:  I've just worked out that I must've just reached voting age that year.  Was it 1986?

I've seen and met Ken umpteen times in the last 10 years.  Never bothered to kiss him.  There's something I don't like about him I haven't figured out yet. 

He's so green, he says, he's mouldy. 

Anyone here care to tell me how to vote?   This is an election which will make a diff.

Boris cycles and he's a high-class blond and ...

War-Horse

• Getbig V
Re: London vote: Conservative or wot? This is the first time I've
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 09:05:59 PM »
Sadly, I fit the american prototype of arrogant, and know nothing of which you speak...sorry. :-[

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 10:20:29 PM »

In the past, my votes were were wasted because Labour have a landslide.  But now we have an election in London that might sway things.

Although I adore Ken, I reckon he's been there far too long.  (And I'm old enough to remember the GLC and everything Ken's done for London.

Also my family and their parents and grandparents were all working class Liverpuddlian Labour voters, until my Dad became an engineer and we all went kinda middle class and moved to Essex and then Canada and he started voting Conservative.  All those taxes !

I did vote for Pierre Trudeau more than once when I lived in Canada ages ago, I even kissed him on each cheek and then shook his hand once, that worked!  edit:  I've just worked out that I must've just reached voting age that year.  Was it 1986?

I've seen and met Ken umpteen times in the last 10 years.  Never bothered to kiss him.  There's something I don't like about him I haven't figured out yet. 

Anyone here care to tell me how to vote?   This is an election which will make a diff.

Linda,

Back in the days when you were still living here in Ontario was probably the last time I ever thought it made sense to vote Conservative. I too was a Bill Davis conservative, until he stepped down. Then my vote went to David Peterson in the Liberal party. Then in the next election it went to Bob Rae of the NDP. When he helped to defeat the Conservative minority and put Peterson's Liberals in power.

I saw the way those two worked together to stimulate business in this province, and how they worked to attract the film industry here. With his wife Shelley also being an actor, I knew he would have first hand knowledge about our needs within the film industry, and we'd be well taken care of. The way Bob Rae of the NDP worked with Peterson of the Liberals to bring about change in this province demonstrated to me the leadership, strength and non-partisan efforts we needed from our elected officials.

It was no surprise to most of us when he swept the next elections with a majority mandate from the people. Every single riding in Toronto went orange. I loved it. My boyfriend at the time had an absolute kanipfit, as did most of Bay Street, ...but the people were loving it.

He did do one thing that pissed me off to no end tho. It was when he altered the structure of how OHIP coverage came about. Instead of charging each person individually for it whether they wanted it or not, or whether they were covered elsewhere or not, (the way the Conservatives did) he shifted the burden to employers. Because I owned a corporation, I got dinged BIG TIME for health insurance premiums for employee health care coverage. And at the time, my corp only had one employee... moi, and I wasn't even drawing a salary, so I got dinged up the wazzoo. Thankfully, they restructured that pretty quickly.

Sadly, he did inherit a huge mess, and the BS mulroney did at the federal level didn't leave him with much wiggle room. He had a tough task ahead of him, but he pulled it off. Sadly, this province voted him out in 96 to usher in the conservatives of Mike Harris in the supposed "Common Sense" revolution, ...and we've been paying for it ever since.

After what the conservatives did to this province, and the legacy that is just now being felt, people are realizing what a good man Bob Rae really was, and they voted him out of office not for what he did wrong, ...but instead for what he did right. Within the last year, Bob Rae has exitted from provincial politics and moved to the federal level, and he's also crossed the floor from the NDP party to the Liberal party.

I've never met a Conservative on the Federal level I'd vote for except perhaps Jean Charest, ...but in recent years, in an attempt to help save this country and keep all provinces in confederation, he too crossed the floor and moved from the Conservative party to join the Liberal party, stepped down from politics at the federal level to assume leadership of the Quebec Liberal party on the provincial level. hmmm....

This seems to be a trend going on here in Canada... all the good politicians on the left, and all the good politicians on the right, ...are crossing the floor to sit with the Liberals in the center. Just once in my lifetime, I'd like to see a Liberal majority in Ottawa, with a Liberal majority at Queens park, ...with the Democrats in office in the USA.

Then, ...you'd see some spectacular things happening this side of the pond by golly. Is that too much to ask?
w

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 03:41:59 AM »
Fuck me Jag, what are you smoking? Quit with the peta-paragraphs! :o

You trying to get into the Guinness World Records?

P.S. Ken Livingstone is a loser, coward and appeaser, it sickens me that we share the same nationality.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 03:45:20 AM »
Fuck me Jag, what are you smoking? Quit with the peta-paragraphs! :o

P.S. Ken Livingstone is a loser, coward and appeaser, it sickens me that we share the same nationality.

I think she is secretly German.
I hate the State.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 03:48:44 AM »
I think she is secretly German.

A few of my ancestors were.  ;)   no joke.

One made some very important medical discoveries that even got named after him.
w

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 04:01:23 AM »
A few of my ancestors were.  ;)   no joke. One made some very important medical discoveries that even got named after him.

I thought you were a thoroughbred Afrikaan?
الاسلام هو شيطانية

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 04:09:04 AM »
Fuck me Jag,

I already told ya nordic, ...NEVER! Not if you were the last man on earth! I'd go lesbian before I'd go there.

what are you smoking? Quit with the peta-paragraphs! :o

Huh? ...what are you talking about?  ;)

Everyone's an appeaser right Nordic?  ::)
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 04:12:52 AM »
I thought you were a thoroughbred Afrikaan?

Who me? ...a thoroughbred? nope. The national motto of the country of my birthplace is "Out of Many One People"
w

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 04:27:53 AM »
I'd go lesbian before I'd go there.

ORLY?  :D

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 04:36:21 AM »
ORLY?  :D

It's bollocks, she'd fall for me in an heart beat. She just keeps up this attitude so that when we do meet she's on a knife edge. You should see the PM's I get from her :-*
الاسلام هو شيطانية

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 04:48:20 AM »
It's bollocks, she'd fall for me in an heart beat. She just keeps up this attitude so that when we do meet she's on a knife edge. You should see the PM's I get from her :-*
w

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 05:02:00 AM »
I already told ya nordic, ...NEVER! Not if you were the last man on earth! I'd go lesbian before I'd go there.

Huh? ...what are you talking about?  ;)

Everyone's an appeaser right Nordic?  ::)

Huh? I thought you were a lesbian. Seriously, you're not?!  ???
I hate the State.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 05:50:01 AM »
Huh? I thought you were a lesbian. Seriously, you're not?!  ???

Good Grief NO! (not that there's anything wrong with that) I'm heterosexual.
You're not the only one to think that though. Someone started that rumour a while back
I remember at one point Hugo thought I was, and decided to gift me with a giant graphic of female anatomy,
...and I mean a GIANT graphic. I opened my PM and couldn't believe my eyes..  :o
w

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 06:49:11 AM »

Good Grief NO! (not that there's anything wrong with that) I'm heterosexual.
You're not the only one to think that though. Someone started that rumour a while back
I remember at one point Hugo thought I was, and decided to gift me with a giant graphic of female anatomy,
...and I mean a GIANT graphic. I opened my PM and couldn't believe my eyes..  :o

LOL

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 07:07:30 AM »
LOL

It seemed like the thing took up the entire screen!  :o I almost had a heart attack! {lol}
w

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 08:22:40 AM »

Who's the BNP candidate?

The BNP are a bunch of clowns to be honest, but if they can stop the wogs from taking over maybe you should vote for them.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 08:44:05 AM »
It seemed like the thing took up the entire screen!  :o I almost had a heart attack! {lol}

Was there an echo when you laughed?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
Was there an echo when you laughed?

:o    :-X
w

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 09:54:46 AM »
:o    :-X

LOL

Wow... that's a big kitty

Wow... that's a big kitty

... big kitty

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 06:34:36 AM »

Who's the BNP candidate?

The BNP are a bunch of clowns to be honest, but if they can stop the wogs from taking over maybe you should vote for them.

Don't think there's a British National Party candidate, and there's no way on God's gorgeous earth he'd have a chance in London.  I think they only have those racists in the suburbs and up north?

I'm not wasting my vote and that was the reason for this thread.  The Tories and the Reds are about even (Blue Boris leading by a titchy little bit at the Mori polls today). 

Voting Lib Dem will be a no go (and I kinda like Brian Paddick, the gay ex-headcop, he seems truthful... but they get maybe 10pc of the vote.  He'll swing if there is a hung vote.

Greens get 2pc of the vote, so there's no point in that either.

Judi, unfortunately we only have two parties here and the Lib Dems don't get a look in.  (And I'm sorry to say that I thought it appropriate that my employers in Canada were required to pay for my OHIP.  It made sense, it was part of my employment deal.

Anyways, I've decided I'm definitely not voting for Red Ken again.  I regret to say that I voted for him the first time recently, (he was mayor a long time ago previously when they had the Greater London Council, but I was in Canada), because he promised the earth.  I didn't bother voting the second time because he was a shoo-in.

This time, the vote for the London Mayor matters...

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 08:10:20 AM »
You know what else is funny Judi?  When I lived in Toronto all those years ago, I truly believed that politics there didn't matter.  Sorry if that sounds condescending, but it's the truth.

Biggest bestest country and they don't do war.  The most wonderful country.

I spent 17 years in Canada total, and all of that time, the main news was about the USA and then a little bit at the end about hockey.  Sometimes the hockey made the main headlines...

So my excuse is that I know very little about politics.  I wasn't living in England when Mags Thatcher was PM here, I missed it all.  And where I was, they painted a picture of her as a great leader.  It wasn't till I returned home that I realised how much in fact the populists disliked her & her policies.

She sold off the family jewels: all of the social housing, the railways, the utilities.  But the Labour party (who would have done all of this and more, irregardless) have done even worse:   schools, neighbourhoods, crime, the National Health Service, the Post Office.

This country is a mess.  Can I come back to Canada?  My pension there is certainly worth more than my British one.

xL

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 08:30:02 AM »
You know what else is funny Judi?  When I lived in Toronto all those years ago, I truly believed that politics there didn't matter.  Sorry if that sounds condescending, but it's the truth.

Biggest bestest country and they don't do war.  The most wonderful country.

I spent 17 years in Canada total, and all of that time, the main news was about the USA and then a little bit at the end about hockey.  Sometimes the hockey made the main headlines...

So my excuse is that I know very little about politics.  I wasn't living in England when Mags Thatcher was PM here, I missed it all.  And where I was, they painted a picture of her as a great leader.  It wasn't till I returned home that I realised how much in fact the populists disliked her & her policies.

She sold off the family jewels: all of the social housing, the railways, the utilities.  But the Labour party (who would have done all of this and more, irregardless) have done even worse:   schools, neighbourhoods, crime, the National Health Service, the Post Office.

This country is a mess.  Can I come back to Canada?  My pension there is certainly worth more than my British one.

xL

Wow, you're the first person I've met with a negative IQ.

You love Ken Livingstone but hate labour? Contradiction here.

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7324485.stm

Best thing you can do is vote BNP, not to actually get them in power but to let Labour and Co. realise that we've had enough of their shit. Most cowardice government ever. G. Brown is a repulsive fat cunt.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 08:41:37 AM »
sorry darling, you've not understood what's going on here.

Brown is our PM, he took over from Blair and they're the Labour party.  They govern this fair country...  The London vote has nothing to do with the Prime Minister or who is looking after GB, it's a local vote.

We have an election coming up on May 1st for a new London Mayor.  It's looking as if Ken (the Labour candidate who has been in power for 8 years) will lose to Boris Johnson, Conservative.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 08:44:26 AM »

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7324485.stm

Is that the news story they had on the BBC this morning about people being paranoid and no longer trusting anyone? 

Sorry, I've had builders in and out all day and have been unable to find the time to click your blue link.

xL