Author Topic: Friday 4/04 Oprah Investigate Puppy Mills!!!  (Read 4206 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Friday 4/04 Oprah Investigate Puppy Mills!!!
« on: March 30, 2008, 04:32:28 PM »
http://www2.oprah.com/tows/coming/tows_come_main.jhtml

Friday 04/04/08

Lisa Ling Investigates the Hidden World of Puppy Mills(PG))

Animal lovers, unite! Lisa Ling investigates the hidden world of puppy mills. If you can't watch on Friday, record it…you truly have to see this for yourself.

to find your local time/channel:

http://www.oprah.com/tows/program/tows_prog_whenwhere.jhtml

Puppy Mills are EXEMPT under mandatory spay and neutering laws.  They will churn out MORE puppies with these laws in effect!    THESE ARE WHERE YOUR FUTURE PUPPY MAY COME FROM!!!   STOP PUPPY MILLS!!!!!!!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: Friday 4/04 Oprah Investigate Puppy Mills!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:03:37 PM »
http://www.petstorecruelty.org/USDA%20Violations%20by%20Petland%20breeders.htm

6 INCHES.

Remember that number.

Here is the USDA formula for calculating the amount of space it considers adequate for a dog:

"Each dog housed in a primary enclosure (including weaned puppies) must be provided with a minimum amount of floor space, calculated as follows: Find the mathematical square of the sum of the length of the dog in inches (measured from the tip of its nose to the base of its tail) plus 6 inches; then divide the product by 144. The calculation is: (length of dog in inches + 6) x (length of dog in inches + 6) = required floor space in square inches. Required floor space in inches/144 = required floor space in square feet."

The USDA measures the amount of space a dog is allowed to have for his or her entire life in INCHES. 6 INCHES, to be exact. What the formula above means is, if you are in a dog (Chihuahua or Great Dane--doesn't matter) in a square cage and you put your rear end against the side of the cage, you can look forward to 6 WHOLE INCHES of exercise space in front of you. Run. Play. Have a good time.

You can find that regulation--3.6 (c)(1)(i)--and others supposedly enforced by USDA inspectors at
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/9cfr3_03.html

THERE IS NO REASON FOR PUPPY MILLS!!! THEY ARE LEGAL PLACES OF HORROR!!

READ WHAT THEY CAN LEGALLY GET AWAY WITH, AND EVEN THOSE "STANDARDS" ARE USUALLY NOT MET"

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 05:04:29 PM »
I love my kitty
Ron: "I am lazy."

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 05:08:48 PM »
I love my kitty

wow, you are so cool goatboy.   

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 03:22:09 AM »
Flower, just out of curiosity, have you ever really seen a Puppy Mill?   I'm not talking about internet images, propoganda from some of your animal rights nuts, or Oprah shows, but in real life have you seen one? 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 03:52:53 AM »
Flower, just out of curiosity, have you ever really seen a Puppy Mill?   I'm not talking about internet images, propoganda from some of your animal rights nuts, or Oprah shows, but in real life have you seen one? 

No, from what I understand it is usually pretty difficult for the public to get in to one.  I've only seen the pics/video, read some reports online of actual inspections and talked face to face to a couple of people who have been at animal auctions.

It's no secret that the USDA is lax in their inspections and it's a safe bet that a lot of animals suffer at these mills.   Nor is a secret that they will be exempt from mandatory s/n and will have great incentive to increase production and legally be able to.

I don't know if this was a lead in to defend puppy mills, I'm sure not every place is a place of horror, but that industry needs a major overhaul and the majority of the public is clueless as to where that "cute puppy in the petstore" came from, and how it's parents possibly continue to live. 

Animal rights people may be nuts, but some of their propaganda is correct and shouldn't be ignored just because of the source.   Puppy Mills are not just on the animals rights agenda, they are on the animal welfare concerns also.  It's a shame that the source of the information is now more important that the information itself, and that every animal welfare issue gets lumped into being "animal rights nuts propaganda" and dismissed or downplayed.  I personally think the Animal Rights people have done more harm than good just because of that, but I don't shoot the message just because of the messenger.  This Oprah special will get the word out and maybe one day puppy mills will either be gone or they will not be places that are now known for suffering and for supplying pet stores with sick and problem animals.

Back to your original question, I think if I ever was in one of those places I would end up in jail for seriously hurting or killing someone.  I don't know how these undercover people film what they film and just act "normal" while doing it.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 08:03:11 AM »
  wow, you are so cool goatboy.   

I'm aware of that.

Thanks for the affirmation, though!  :D
Ron: "I am lazy."

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 12:53:38 PM »

No, from what I understand it is usually pretty difficult for the public to get in to one.  I've only seen the pics/video, read some reports online of actual inspections and talked face to face to a couple of people who have been at animal auctions.

It's no secret that the USDA is lax in their inspections and it's a safe bet that a lot of animals suffer at these mills.   Nor is a secret that they will be exempt from mandatory s/n and will have great incentive to increase production and legally be able to.

I don't know if this was a lead in to defend puppy mills, I'm sure not every place is a place of horror, but that industry needs a major overhaul and the majority of the public is clueless as to where that "cute puppy in the petstore" came from, and how it's parents possibly continue to live. 

Animal rights people may be nuts, but some of their propaganda is correct and shouldn't be ignored just because of the source.   Puppy Mills are not just on the animals rights agenda, they are on the animal welfare concerns also.  It's a shame that the source of the information is now more important that the information itself, and that every animal welfare issue gets lumped into being "animal rights nuts propaganda" and dismissed or downplayed.  I personally think the Animal Rights people have done more harm than good just because of that, but I don't shoot the message just because of the messenger.  This Oprah special will get the word out and maybe one day puppy mills will either be gone or they will not be places that are now known for suffering and for supplying pet stores with sick and problem animals.

Back to your original question, I think if I ever was in one of those places I would end up in jail for seriously hurting or killing someone.  I don't know how these undercover people film what they film and just act "normal" while doing it.

I'm sorry if you thought i was trying to set you up for something, because I wasn't.  I've been to a couple of true "puppy mills" not just nutso breeders. 

Heres my take on them---its not the breeders necessarily who are completely at fault, although I do think they are doing a very bad thing and should be shut down.  The real problem is they are feeding a major, major market and its all about the dollar.  I am not aware of official statistics, they may be out there, I just don't know of them, but I'm willing to bet the majority of the dogs are under 30 lbs adult weight, 50 lbs at the most.  The logistics of managing a kennel full of large dogs is very different than small dogs.  Not only that, the market is much more lucrative for small dogs. 

What I'm trying to say is you can chase the breeders until you are blue in the face,but the real problem is the people buying the dogs---certian pet store chains, independant pet stores, independant people.   As long as there is big money ($1500 for a mixed breed????, come on  ::) ) there will be puppy mills.  Stop the market and you will stop the inhumane treatment of the dogs.   

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 03:54:57 PM »
I'm not sure I will be "able" to watch it  :'(
:

w8m8

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 04:23:17 PM »
Thanks ~flower~ I have it set record

I like Lisa Ling and the way she covers things I'll feel like it'll be a good reflection of what she finds.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
I'm sorry if you thought i was trying to set you up for something, because I wasn't.  I've been to a couple of true "puppy mills" not just nutso breeders. 

Heres my take on them---its not the breeders necessarily who are completely at fault, although I do think they are doing a very bad thing and should be shut down.  The real problem is they are feeding a major, major market and its all about the dollar.  I am not aware of official statistics, they may be out there, I just don't know of them, but I'm willing to bet the majority of the dogs are under 30 lbs adult weight, 50 lbs at the most.  The logistics of managing a kennel full of large dogs is very different than small dogs.  Not only that, the market is much more lucrative for small dogs. 

What I'm trying to say is you can chase the breeders until you are blue in the face,but the real problem is the people buying the dogs---certian pet store chains, independant pet stores, independant people.   As long as there is big money ($1500 for a mixed breed????, come on  ::) ) there will be puppy mills.  Stop the market and you will stop the inhumane treatment of the dogs.   

That's why I think people should watch this, so they see where the petstore puppy is most likely coming from and how the cycle will never end.

There is a place here that sells mixed breeds in the pet store along with some purebreds, I was in it a few years ago and there was a whole bunch of people looking at the "cute puppies" and I said real loud "$600 for a puppy that is a 3 breed mix?!?  The papers are full of them and you can get the same one at the shelter"   a few people looked at me but I didn't care. 

The people that run the mills are at fault for the way they keep and treat the dogs.   They may not be at fault for the demand (which will go up with mandatory s/n laws and people wanting puppies) but they damn sure a responsible for what they put the breeder dogs through and what happens to them when they are not useful anymore.  And they sure are responsible for producing puppies that are unhealthy and not caring about tracking their lines for problems.

Domesticated animals should be raised and bred in domesticated situations, not in a cage with food tossed in and bred heat after heat. 

w8m8

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 02:17:48 PM »
OK first I had a hard time watching this show...Yogi hasn't been gone that long and they started the show with a "eulogy " type thing for her dog that died last month.  :'(

They ended good.. the last comments were saying ,,three places to get pets

first adopt
then if you're breed specific got to
breed rescues first
then reputable breeders and ask to see the mother and the whole place

It was a good show and if nothing else she has a large audience and maybe it'll make a difference

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
If I kept my dogs in wire cages outside 24/7 for 10 years that would be illegal and I would get arrested for that.  If I let tumors grow on them, chains imbed in their necks, fur become matted feces and urine clumps, and wounds not treated I would get arrested for animal abuse.

How the fuck do puppymills get away with that?  How the fuck does the USDA allow that?  How the fuck can government want to impose mandatory altering laws and require intact permits and NOT DO SHIT ABOUT PUPPY FACTORIES? One breeder dog they estimated would be responsible for over 100 dogs or more in it's life, and YET THEY WILL WILL BE EXEMPT AND WILL GROW LARGER TO MEET THE PUPPY DEMAND MEANING MORE DOGS WILL SUFFER AND STILL THE SHELTER POPULATIONS WILL NOT BE AFFECTED BECAUSE THEY WILL STILL BE GETTING THE OLDER DOGS IN !!!

The breeder dogs never even touch the ground and don't know how to walk on anything but chicken wire.   

HOW THE FUCK CAN THIS BE LEGAL?!?!?!   

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 02:12:15 PM »
If I kept my dogs in wire cages outside 24/7 for 10 years that would be illegal and I would get arrested for that.  If I let tumors grow on them, chains imbed in their necks, fur become matted feces and urine clumps, and wounds not treated I would get arrested for animal abuse.

How the fuck do puppymills get away with that?  How the fuck does the USDA allow that?  How the fuck can government want to impose mandatory altering laws and require intact permits and NOT DO SHIT ABOUT PUPPY FACTORIES? One breeder dog they estimated would be responsible for over 100 dogs or more in it's life, and YET THEY WILL WILL BE EXEMPT AND WILL GROW LARGER TO MEET THE PUPPY DEMAND MEANING MORE DOGS WILL SUFFER AND STILL THE SHELTER POPULATIONS WILL NOT BE AFFECTED BECAUSE THEY WILL STILL BE GETTING THE OLDER DOGS IN !!!

The breeder dogs never even touch the ground and don't know how to walk on anything but chicken wire.   

HOW THE FUCK CAN THIS BE LEGAL?!?!?!   

Limited number of USDA inspectors, cunning breeders, and easy mobility. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 06:17:57 AM »
Limited number of USDA inspectors, cunning breeders, and easy mobility. 

I find it hard to believe that when the inspectors do inspect the animals conditions are any different. 

IF the USDA says it is LEGAL for dogs to spend their whole life in a chicken cage, never setting foot on the ground and only walking on wires, then that is where the problems can start to be fixed, along with inspectors actually inspecting and shutting down places. 

Do puppy mills generate that much government money that they should even be allowed to operate?   The government wants to spend less money on sheltering unwanted pets yet they encourage the factory style production of them?  And if they want to consider them "products" then they are encouraging and allowing substandard and defective products to be sold to consumers. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 06:48:06 AM »

Yes an HSUS site, but the info is valid, click on the slide show to see what these places are legally getting away with:

http://www.stoppuppymills.org/inside_a_puppy_mill.html

a 1996 article, nothing has improved in over 10 years!!!

http://www.bogartsdaddy.com/Bouvier/Bouv_Pages/article-nypost-pa-puppymills.htm

http://www.helpinganimals.com/f-puppyMillPrisonLog.asp

And the disgusting and horrifying auctions:

http://www.puppymillrescue.com/moviesdogs_index.htm

people really do suck.   >:(      :'(