Author Topic: Sad incident this morning  (Read 1282 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Sad incident this morning
« on: April 04, 2008, 05:58:50 AM »
So I am driving down the road to work and I notice a duck has been hit right before the turn into the driveway.  Then I notice it's wings are moving.   :-[     It was in a spot where it could get hit again, so I parked my car and went into work and got a bag so I could pick it up and move it out of the road.  I didn't think it would be wise to touch it, and I wasn't sure how much life was left and didn't want it wigging out. 

I knew the duck was going to die soon when I moved it and it was not putting up any fight, but I couldn't stand thinking that it might get hit again.   I think it passed shortly after I moved it. 

I always look when I see an animal has been hit just to make sure that it is not still alive, and I have gone and checked on a dog (a young rottie) that was dead so I called animal control so they could see if they could find the owner and let them know.

:-[

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Sad incident this morning
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »
When I was a kid I had to put down one of our "pet" ducks.  I still love those little guys for some reason.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 07:53:51 AM »
squirrels.....

those damn things can never decide to completely cross the road...turn around & head back.....or cross the road & decide that they changed their mind.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 08:37:43 AM »
When I was a kid I had to put down one of our "pet" ducks.  I still love those little guys for some reason.

This is the second "duck" incident I have had.   A number of years ago a mated male and female landed in my ex's backyard.  The female was really bad off.  We called A/C and they came and got her, they had to put her down.  :(

What was really sad was her mate kept coming back looking for her. He sounded so sad.  He had tried to protect her while they were getting her too, flying overhead and yelling at us.  You can't tell me animals don't have feelings, that was his mate and he felt losing her.
  :'(

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 10:04:45 AM »
Yeah, I hate the "nearly" road kills.  Deer are the worst. 

I've had to break the neck on more than one deer when I lived in Ohio.  I don't like doing it at all, but if the alternative is the animal lying in a ditch with open fractures for several minutes to hours, I'm going to do it.  I still dont' understand the "herd slaughters" I saw in Ohio too, where in a 2 mile stretch of highway there'd be 4 or 5 or even more HBC deer. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 10:16:45 AM »
Yeah, I hate the "nearly" road kills.  Deer are the worst. 

I've had to break the neck on more than one deer when I lived in Ohio.  I don't like doing it at all, but if the alternative is the animal lying in a ditch with open fractures for several minutes to hours, I'm going to do it.  I still dont' understand the "herd slaughters" I saw in Ohio too, where in a 2 mile stretch of highway there'd be 4 or 5 or even more HBC deer. 

I couldn't do that, I wouldn't have it in me (or the strength probably).  If the duck had been better off I would of called A/C so it could be taken and put down and not have to suffer until it died.  I do wonder when it got hit and how long it had been there.  :(    It's probably illegal, but I wrapped it up and disposed of it in our dumpster. 

HBC - Hit by car?