Author Topic: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29 (RESULTS/VIDS p. 11)  (Read 47127 times)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29
« Reply #225 on: June 18, 2008, 01:56:36 PM »
something i'm learning: easy on the warmups. better to do more work sets than a lot of 10-15 rep warmup sets when strength is the aim.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #226 on: June 18, 2008, 04:32:22 PM »
something i'm learning: easy on the warmups. better to do more work sets than a lot of 10-15 rep warmup sets when strength is the aim.

Lets add to that....you need to bring your weight up SLOWLY. I partially tore my pec last night because I didnt warm up enough. :( I can barely move it today.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #227 on: June 19, 2008, 04:27:52 AM »
Lets add to that....you need to bring your weight up SLOWLY. I partially tore my pec last night because I didnt warm up enough. :( I can barely move it today.

:o Oh no!  I hope you feel better quickly!!

:)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #228 on: June 19, 2008, 07:18:56 AM »

"Assimilation Sets"

I started doing these when i first used Max-OT and i've done them ever since. I don't recall having any injury since that time to be honest, just a few aches and pains here and there.

8)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #229 on: June 19, 2008, 12:28:48 PM »

omg, I got my shout out!  Flower and stella are gonna be soooooooooooooooo jealous.......   ;D

I guess I'll have to take my shout out vicariously through the Stella the dog videos :-[
R

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #230 on: June 19, 2008, 12:47:16 PM »
I guess I'll have to take my shout out vicariously through the Stella the dog videos :-[

stella got a summer crew cut ,it's awesome

I'll take a pic tonight

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #231 on: June 19, 2008, 12:48:18 PM »
stella got a summer crew cut ,it's awesome

I'll take a pic tonight
excellent ;D
R

Geo

• Getbig IV

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2008, 04:30:50 AM »
Deadlifts last night.  50 mins AM cardio, 50 mins PM cardio.  After the second cardio, I had a meal and went to the gym to lift.

DEADS
warmup - barx15, 95x10, 135x5
Used the belt on all of the working sets.  I don't think I like deadlifting with a belt.
185x3
215x3
235x3
255x2
275x2 - Brutal.  This is my max on 2.  I almost didn't even do the second one but it was easier than the first, of course.
235x3
225x3
225x3

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2008, 06:31:20 AM »

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Geo
R

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2008, 11:53:08 AM »
Stella's cute!   Both Stellas!   :D

Double cardios today/tonight 50 mins each.  Rotator cuff work and abs tonight as well.  Racing tomorrow.  Bench Sunday - last shirt workout.  :)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2008, 01:14:05 PM »
i have no idea how you can lift for power with all that damn cardio.  :P

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2008, 01:21:02 PM »
i have no idea how you can lift for power with all that damn cardio.  :P

Me neither.   :-[

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2008, 03:44:21 PM »
rip is a powerful woman that has no idea how she can  lift for power with all that damn cardio

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: June 22, 2008, 07:24:39 PM »
Last bench shirt workout tonight...I pretty much just wanted to get my opening lift and call it a night, so it was a short one.

BENCH
warmup - barx15, 95x10, 135x5
Shirt on-
185x2
205x2

225x1
235x1
Both of these touched, paused, etc.  I am fairly certain that I lifted my ass off the bench on the 235 though.   ::)

275 - I just unracked it and held it for 4-5 seconds to see what it felt like.  Not too bad.  I'll be pressing that one of these days. 

I'm not sure what I am going to do yet for my opener.  I got 237 at the last meet (107.5 kg), so I'd like to beat that, especially at 15 pounds lighter in body weight.  I'm tempted to open at 237 because I know I can press it, but I don't want to f*ck it up and lift my ass and basically waste a lift. 

However, I think that 237 is the USPF National Record for the 132 weight class, in which case I think I should just go for it on the first lift, so that I can reset it twice.  If I break the National record, they'll give me a fourth lift too.   :o

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #240 on: June 22, 2008, 07:32:01 PM »
I would go 230 just to build confidence.

You still doing all three lifts?

Good luck!

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #241 on: June 23, 2008, 04:18:51 AM »
I would go 230 just to build confidence.

You still doing all three lifts?

Good luck!

Thanks!  Yep, I'm in for all three lifts.  I will actually be the only woman in the 132 weight class, which is kind of a bummer but oh well.  It looks like there are 3 women total for the PL Nats and DL Nats, and 4 women for Bench Nats. 

I'm open to suggestions on what I should open with in the other 2 lifts as well.  :)

I forgot to mention double cardios yesterday 50 mins each, and I will be doing double cardios at least through Thursday.  I might cut back to one cardio Friday and then the meet is Sat.  Unfortunately, although I know I should be resting, I am less than 10 weeks out from the North Americans and can't really afford any time off.  I'm hardly lifting at all this week as it is.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #242 on: June 23, 2008, 06:16:22 AM »
Always open light, it builds confidence.

90% of the time i see people bomb out because they open too heavy. once you miss that first lift, your head can mess with you.

Good luck, i know you will do great!

8)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #243 on: June 23, 2008, 06:32:27 AM »
Last bench shirt workout tonight...I pretty much just wanted to get my opening lift and call it a night, so it was a short one.

I know it's probably been discussed somewhere on here but....

What is a bench shirt made out of and how does it help?

Do you have any pics of yours?
R

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #244 on: June 23, 2008, 07:29:50 AM »
Always open light, it builds confidence.

90% of the time i see people bomb out because they open too heavy. once you miss that first lift, your head can mess with you.

Good luck, i know you will do great!

8)

Thanks!  I am excited, a little nervous for no reason, but it'll be fun.  I'm going to think about my weight selection pretty carefully, as I want to get the most out of it that I can.  I will probably open up with 215 on the squat because it's the first lift, and I know I can nail that.  I wouldn't mind squatting over 250, though.

I know it's probably been discussed somewhere on here but....

What is a bench shirt made out of and how does it help?

Do you have any pics of yours?

The bench shirt is basically a piece of powerlifting equipment (a shirt) that is REALLY tight and helps you on the bottom of the bench press, so that you can lift bigger weight overall.  It's hard to use and takes alot of practice and breaking in.  I struggled with my bench shirt for weeks/months to learn how to use it and to get it working correctly (and to get me working correctly when I am lifting with it!). 

Mine is made of polyester, but it's SOOOO tight stella, I can't even explain it to you.  It has NO give at all.  Some bench shirts are made out of denim as well.  There are some pics of it when I first got it in this thread, and you can see that I was convinced at the time that it was WAY too small for me (pics are on p.4):
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=166468.75

It's all broken in, and now that I've lost a bunch of weight, it actually fits better than ever.  I am doing this sort of extreme pulling thing with it, so the power band sits way further down on my chest than it used to, and I don't get that crinkle across the chest anymore.  I never thought I would say this, but I fkn love it!!   ;D

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: June 23, 2008, 05:52:13 PM »
  There are some pics of it when I first got it in this thread, and you can see that I was convinced at the time that it was WAY too small for me (pics are on p.4):
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=166468.75

That thing looks painful :o
R

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #246 on: June 23, 2008, 07:27:06 PM »
That thing looks painful :o

if i had pictures handy, you'd be AMAZED at how fucked up you can get from tight gear. i have almost, and others outright have, bled around the hem of the sleeve and the neckline. my old canvas suit also completely obliterated my hips, ass, and upper thighs. i looked like jim caviezel in passion of the christ.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #247 on: June 24, 2008, 07:29:15 AM »
if i had pictures handy, you'd be AMAZED at how fucked up you can get from tight gear. i have almost, and others outright have, bled around the hem of the sleeve and the neckline. my old canvas suit also completely obliterated my hips, ass, and upper thighs. i looked like jim caviezel in passion of the christ.

;D    yup.   

I'll typically have bruises for 3-4 days after a heavy bench workout---and I wear a relatively "loose" singly ply Rage X.  The same with my squat suit, although it takes alot to get my legs and hips to bruise.   

My wife has had bruises for as long as 2 weeks after using a bench shirt, and she's bled just a bit (more leaked a bit of fluid, not outright bleeding) from the seams of her bench shirt cutting into her arms----this was right before she threatened to shove the bench shirt up my ass sideways if I didn't find one that "You better fucking find one that fucking fits me the right fucking way you fat stupid #### or I'm not wearing this fucking shit ever again, dammit"  ;D

it amazes me the profanity powerlifting gear can bring out in otherwise really nice women.  ;D ;D

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #248 on: June 24, 2008, 10:07:10 AM »
If you find the pics please post them! 

completely obliterated my hips, ass, and upper thighs.

(no close-ups please :P )

My wife has had bruises for as long as 2 weeks after using a bench shirt, and she's bled just a bit (more leaked a bit of fluid, not outright bleeding) from the seams of her bench shirt cutting into her arms----this was right before she threatened to shove the bench shirt up my ass sideways if I didn't find one that "You better fucking find one that fucking fits me the right fucking way you fat stupid #### or I'm not wearing this fucking shit ever again, dammit"  ;D

:o

hahahahaha!

R

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #249 on: June 24, 2008, 06:10:58 PM »
LOL Vet I can totally relate to your wife!!  My husband can probably relate to you quite well.   ;D

My bench shirt used to give me horrible purple bruises and marks that would last for days and days.  But now that it's broken in and I have lost 15 pounds, it never leaves marks on me at all.  It is still tight, but not nearly like it used to be.  We do this pulling thing when I wear it now, and it fits really really well with the power band pulled waaaaaay down in the front.

Tonight, I went into the gym to just nail my opening squat x 2.  I thought it was going to be a piece of cake, but I am kind of depleted right now (working on making weight Friday morning), and I had a rough time with it. 

SQUATS
barx15, 95x10
145x2
185x2
205x2
215x2

Yikes.  I am hoping that I feel better after I carb load a little.  I'm basically depleting until Friday morning, weighing in empty, and then loading with oatmeal and a steak/potato dinner.  The meet is Sat. morning, so I have over 24 hours to load up.  I know that it would be more ideal to load for at least a couple days, but I can't afford to do that.

50 mins AM cardio.  25 mins after squatting, that's all I could pull off.