Author Topic: GUARANTEED BEST WAY TO INCREASE YOUR BENCHPRESS  (Read 17456 times)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Re: GUARANTEED BEST WAY TO INCREASE YOUR BENCHPRESS
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2007, 04:30:38 PM »
I totally agree with you guys ....it is the physical ultimately...but in order to get to your physical limits you have to overcome the mental part of it first...two questions for you guys...1st, do you guys train bench elbows in or elbows out?...I train elbows out...do you think it is better to train elbows in for increasing your bench strength or out?...2nd...is there anyone here benching three plates (315 lbs) naturally?...that is my ultimate goal...I am at 255 now...also have another question (sorry)...I've started to bench dumbbells more to get an extra stretch (and to get stronger)...I am at 80 lbs (each arm) on dumbbells.....I want to eventually reach 100 lbs on dumbbells...is training chest with dumbells every other day and then hitting them with the barbell once a week overtraining?...I don't seem to be in any pain....Andre

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 04:52:48 PM »
I totally agree with you guys ....it is the physical ultimately...but in order to get to your physical limits you have to overcome the mental part of it first...two questions for you guys...1st, do you guys train bench elbows in or elbows out?...I train elbows out...do you think it is better to train elbows in for increasing your bench strength or out?...2nd...is there anyone here benching three plates (315 lbs) naturally?...that is my ultimate goal...I am at 255 now...also have another question (sorry)...I've started to bench dumbbells more to get an extra stretch (and to get stronger)...I am at 80 lbs (each arm) on dumbbells.....I want to eventually reach 100 lbs on dumbbells...is training chest with dumbells every other day and then hitting them with the barbell once a week overtraining?...I don't seem to be in any pain....Andre

I suspect some day you can bench close to 4 plates naturaly.
But,You must learn to bench elbows in.
YOu are overtraing, only reason you hold up to it is your youth.
A bench shirt will INCREASE your RAW lift, and thicken and strengthen you.
Dig thru ALL the Bench training stuff in the link from Dave and Co.
I bet you press 3 plates < 1 yr from now.  ;)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 10:53:36 AM »
man I feel where your coming from I've worked out alone without a spotter for most of my life. I definitly think your overtraining, right now I hit chest 2 times a week...before this semester of school started up I only hit it once a week, but hit it really hard. I assume your asking about maxing out on the 315, Im not sure of what my max is now as I havent maxed out in over a year but its probably around 375 and maybe a little little extra. I've been natural my entire life and right now cant see why I'd change

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 07:17:48 PM »
do u guys bench elbows in or elbows out?..which is best for benching heavy poundages and avoiding pain and injury?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 09:08:17 PM »
I usually bench elbows out but it definitly helps to lift heavier weights with elbows in imho. 

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2007, 04:06:46 AM »
do u guys bench elbows in or elbows out?..which is best for benching heavy poundages and avoiding pain and injury?

Just watch some PLing vids.
Its impossible to move much w/ your elbows pointing at a 90 degree to body.
You'll put another wheel on each side of the bar in a few months when (if)you figure that out.
Did you watch any of the vids on the link I posted?

Save yourself YEARs of wasted time, and learn the fat PLer boys methods. They share redily.
You DONT have to eat like them...

Pat the Rat

• Getbig I
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2007, 08:06:22 PM »
The mind has a great deal to do with how much you lift. To help that along what I do is to acclimate my muscles to the weight by doing a few warmup sets, putting on more weight and doing less reps till I reach my target weight (the one I'll do my first work set on). I'll do one rep on my target weight, then relax and get my mind pumped up for my first real work set. After a minute or so, I'll attack the weight. By doing my target weight once before going for the work set, my mind knows what to expect, and it's funny that for some reason it's way easier than the first time I did it.

Another thing I do is to keep a very careful log of what weight I did for each set and how many reps I got out of each set. I can't believe everyone doesn't do this. Most say, "Oh, I remember what weight I did last time". But surprisingly, if you keep a log, you'll look at it sometimes and say "Wow, I need to beat 8 reps on 85 lbs. I can't believe I did that before!" And that will push you to try to beat what you did last time, or at least force you to try to equal what you did last time. I usually do 2-3 sets and I see each set as an opportunity to beat what I did last time. Sometimes I beat the first set, which is great, but if I don't, I try to beat what I had for the 2nd and/or 3rd sets. If you can do  this, you will empirically be gaining in strength. The proof will be there in writing right there in front of you. Give it a try, and good luck!

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 03:20:53 PM »
Another way to increase bench strength is to not just focus on doing benches all at once...for instance I notice that many pros and schmoes will do 4 sets of bench presses consecutively...it's best to do one set of benches and then to do some other exercise, and then come back to bench again, alternating each exercise...this leaves you fresher to do your benches and will up your reps considerably!..I used to do all my benches at one time consecutively and would rest 30-45 seconds between each...this would leave me benching very erraticaly in terms of reps...I would feel strong at first and do maybe 235 for 10, then it would drop to reps of 8, 6,5,4, and then I would shoot up again to about 6 or 7 reps...my benches stay consistently at about 8-10 when I mix in other exercises and thereby get more rest between benchpressing sets

swacky

• Getbig I
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2008, 11:25:04 AM »
I have benched 420 no shirt in the gym at 185-190 i have a bench perodization cycle that seems to work pretty good for everybody that i given it to.No i didn't invent it but seems to be one of the best i have tried.
What is strange thought is that it calls for 6 sets and sine i'am benching over 4 plates now at less than 190 it doesn't seem to wrk anymore i think because i can't bnech heavy for alot of sets so now i'am doing alot of rack work.
Like bench from where your weak point is on the bench,Mine is the  middle point so after doing 2 to 3 sets of workig sets i'll 2 to 3 sets of power rack work for 1 rep each.My best so far mid point is 495.
First fine what your max bench is for 1 rep(with a spot of course or in a power rack)
Then bench only once a week
1st week 70% of max for 2 reps 75% for 2 reps 80% for 3 reps 6sets
2nd week same  2 sets than 80% 5 reps 6 set
3 rd week same 2 sets than 80% 6 reps of 6 sets
4th week ''        ''       than 90% 4 reps of 6 sets
5th week ''        ''       than 95% 3 reps of 3 sets
6th week ''       ''        105% 1 rep  of 2 sets

Usually get 15 pounds every 6 weeks.Hope that helps.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2008, 01:35:05 PM »
are you benching on a machine?...if you are,then that's cheating..LOL..I am talking about the old-fashioned way..no help and no spotter....

swacky

• Getbig I
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2008, 02:04:54 PM »
No i don't bench on a machine.I have done done 600 pounds on hammer strength machine but that isn't real weight.
My best at a bench press meet is 450 at 198 with shirt and 430 with shirt at 181 pound class.My best so far no shirt is a close miss at 420 at i beleive i was about 185-190 last year when u did that and a easy 410.Which was 4 45 pound and some change addead on.No machine!!
We do have an old paramount bench machine where i train and if you can bench the whole machine you get a free 6 month membership.It only goes to 250 but is equal to a 400 pound bench.Hardest bnech machine i have ever used.
I like that one guy posting that he is an animal benching 250 and he is the strongest guy in the gym.I also train down to peffer's gym in scranton and 400 pound benchers are normal.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2008, 06:33:25 PM »
very nice...I admire you very much....you are strong as hell!!!...I wish I could come near to what you are doing...keep up the good work.....I am kinda stuck at about 265 or so...any tips?...I am way overweight and short...5'4"...260...solid everywhere except the gut....started working out about four years ago...trying to get to at least 315 bench by summer

swacky

• Getbig I
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 07:21:41 AM »
Follow that bench routine i posted that will definittely get you to 315 by summer.I was training a kid that weighed 165 last year and was 17 years old and he was benching 270.he got up to 330 on the bench at 180 in 6 months.
I told him to buy creatine and protein and that got is weight up.I thought i could get him up to 400 pounds in about a year or 2 but i haveb't see him since he benched 330.
He started doing skullcrushers and i told him he would mess his elbows up doing them and he did.I messed up my elbows up doing then amd just about everybody else that i know.I doing larry scott kneeling tricep extension with his conversion kit.Works awesome and i have no elbow pain no more.
If you want just email on your bench routine and i can help you out.

swacky

• Getbig I
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2008, 11:05:28 AM »
Well did you try the bench routine i gave?It will definittely have you doing three plates.What is your bench press routine now?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2008, 07:55:14 PM »
Haven't tried it yet, but I will....starting next week...right now I am benching only 235 for five sets at 5-8 reps...pathetic I know....but will definitely give your program a try

meso82

• Getbig I
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2008, 10:28:44 PM »
If you want to get stronger stop training like a bodybuilder and start training like a powerlifter. They're the best lifters in the world. It doesn't mean you have to bend in half and wear a dicky bench shirt, but the way they lock their back in and plant their feet on the floor is absolutely essential to a strong bench. Worry about the volume work once you bench press is finished (ie. go on to incline and maybe flys for 3x 8 reps when bench is done).
The biggest mistake keen lifters make is doing the same movement every week and constantly try to get better at it. I feel for you trying to bench big without a training partner, and you're right getting through the mental barriers of 'am I going to get crushed by this?!?!' is so important and hard to deal with.
To get strong, have a read in the powerlifters section. Theres a great thread in there on how to set yourself for a big bench press.
Two years ago I was busting my ass to bench 2 plates a side, now I can get a single on 4 and a half a side.
The following is what worked for me.>

WEEK 1: Speed
10 sets, 3 reps in 10 minutes.
Reps are fast and explosive. Tight form, but as explosive as possible.
Followed by the usual volume work. Eg. Incline DB, flys

Week 2: Heavy
Gradually build up to your 1rm. Challenge yourself. In your build up sets theres no need to do more than 5 reps.
Stretch well. Remember you're training for performance.
The stimulation you get from REAL heavy training will make you grow. You'll feel full for days.
Again follow up with volume work.

NB: Train your tri's hard. Inevitably guys with good tri's have a good bench.
NNB: Eat big!
NNNB: Get a training partner!

Good luck

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2008, 10:38:24 AM »
take a giant needle full of growth hormone and jam it directly into each arm. that should increase your strength real quick!  ;D  (just kidding!)

No, you are not...
S