Author Topic: Red Sox nation steps up  (Read 1532 times)

body88

Red Sox nation steps up
« on: April 09, 2008, 10:36:29 AM »
Good to see the most passionate fans in the MLB correct one of there biggest mistakes yesterday. BUck was a great player, and he didnt deserve the heat he took for all those years. Buck was a great ball player, and he shoulden't have been playing in that game hurt. The guy had to move across the country!

http://sports.aol.com/mlb/story/_a/buckners-tear-filled-return-to-fenway/20080409080609990001

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: Red Sox nation steps up
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 11:40:31 AM »
He's still a goat. ;D

The only reason the Sox fans gave him an ovation is because they've won 2 out of the last four World Series. FOr what other reason should the fans still hold a grudge? His screw up in the '86 Series is not totally forgotten but winning a title for the first time in 86 years has a way of mellowing people out. His error overshadows his career. And if he was hurt that day he shouldn't been out there in the first place. But he wasn't too hurt to play nevertheless.

Don't say for a second that Buckner wouldn't get his ass booed off the field if the Sox hadn't won the Seires in '04 or '07.

body88

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 12:40:04 PM »
He's still a goat. ;D

The only reason the Sox fans gave him an ovation is because they've won 2 out of the last four World Series. FOr what other reason should the fans still hold a grudge? His screw up in the '86 Series is not totally forgotten but winning a title for the first time in 86 years has a way of mellowing people out. His error overshadows his career. And if he was hurt that day he shouldn't been out there in the first place. But he wasn't too hurt to play nevertheless.

Don't say for a second that Buckner wouldn't get his ass booed off the field if the Sox hadn't won the Seires in '04 or '07.

I can tell you that the newest Generations of sox fans dont hold a grudge against Buckner at all, because half of them where to young to remember what happened. Why does it matter that the sox finally winning a world series facilitated Red Sox nation to relize the error of there ways? Thats the whole point, and no one is denying it.

Buckner was hurt when he played in that game in 86, and as a life long sox fan, I am glad Buck finally got his due...

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 06:09:25 PM »
My point is that if the RedSox are such great fans, then they should've forgiven Buckner long ago before winning their first title. The guy played his ass off for the Sox. If the Sox were 90+years running today with no title, the majority of the veteran fans would throw shit at him if he showed his face. My opinion, of course.

Still a touching moment. That guy got dogged so hard back in the day. Forever typecast as a goat on the biggest stage. His gaffe in the '86 Series Game 6, ranks up there in the same breath as Jackie Slater's dropped pass in the Superbowl. Or Chris Webber's timeout in the '93 championship game against the Heels.

Good to see, though. Good to know that the guy can move on with his life(or at least pass a mental chapter in his mind) after a city shows forgiveness.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 06:37:19 PM »
By the way, Body88. Wizards owned your Celtics again for the third time this year out of four games. Only team in the NBA to have beaten the Celts three times.

Better hope they don't play the Wizards in the playoffs. Bad matchup.

And what's up with the O's in first place?? ;D(I know it's early.)

body88

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 06:53:53 PM »
By the way, Body88. Wizards owned your Celtics again for the third time this year out of four games. Only team in the NBA to have beaten the Celts three times.

Better hope they don't play the Wizards in the playoffs. Bad matchup.

And what's up with the O's in first place?? ;D(I know it's early.)

The Celtics have been playing the big three for 20 min or less, and experimenting openly during recent games. I think they will be all fired up, rested, and ready to go when they playoffs come (IMO).

I have thought since day one the sox would take about a month to rebound from all the hooplla, and the trip to China. I hope the O's battle it out with the sox all year!

Imo the team built to win in the regular season is the Angels, but they are not built for the playoffs. A bunch of solid starting pitching, and a great bull pen. They try to shorten up games, but I think that approach is bad news in the post season. I think the sox are built for the playoffs, and they will come on at the end of the season and play there best in October.

The yanks are lacking a true stud pitcher for the post season, and there young guys are going to need time to develope. I know Wong is good, but he is not that shut down beast ( like a Becket) for the post season. The yanks are old at a lot of positions, and health could be an issue with guys like Posada, Damon and Rivera. I think they will do well in the regular season (providing Wong can be a true number one), but they wont have enough to win in the postseason. I think the deal breaker between the Sox and the Yanks is Becket, Paplebon, Oki and Dice K. Our young guys are just as good, and they have some big postseason expeirence also. The yanks will have a great offense obviously, but I dont think they are built for the postseason.

I told b fury the sox's pitching was going to win them a world series at the start of last year, and he laughed.

body88

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 07:00:06 PM »
My point is that if the RedSox are such great fans, then they should've forgiven Buckner long ago before winning their first title. The guy played his ass off for the Sox. If the Sox were 90+years running today with no title, the majority of the veteran fans would throw shit at him if he showed his face. My opinion, of course.

Still a touching moment. That guy got dogged so hard back in the day. Forever typecast as a goat on the biggest stage. His gaffe in the '86 Series Game 6, ranks up there in the same breath as Jackie Slater's dropped pass in the Superbowl. Or Chris Webber's timeout in the '93 championship game against the Heels.

Good to see, though. Good to know that the guy can move on with his life(or at least pass a mental chapter in his mind) after a city shows forgiveness.

If sox fans were such good fans? Come onnnnn man  ;) Sox fans have lived and died with the Sox through more bullshit then any other major league team, IMO. The sox had a cult like following when they were bad, decent, very good and now the best in the biz. The redsox team revenue is about the highest in the MLB, and there are far less people in MA then markets like NY. I don't know many fans that are as diehard or dedicated as sox fans. Yankees fans have not gone through shit, and when they do ( last year) they tend to boo there own players mercilessly. Not saying yanks fans are not great fans, I would rank sox fans 1 and yanks fans 1a. The sox and the yanks are two of the oldest and most historic teams in major leauge history, both there fan bases have really hard core fans.

I'm not disagreeing that old school fans would hate on Bucky if the Sox had not won a title, my point was that the new generation of fans don't give a crap about Buck, and I'm glad old school sox fans finally stepped up and forgave the man.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 07:59:17 PM »
I know. I'm busting balls about the Sox fans. Of course they're great.

Say what you about the Celtics resting for the playoffs, experimenting with lineups, etc. Their a bad match against the Wizards. Defensively, the Celts are supposed to be one the best defensive teams and the Wiz dropped 109 points against them.

body88

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 07:35:00 AM »
I know. I'm busting balls about the Sox fans. Of course they're great.

Say what you about the Celtics resting for the playoffs, experimenting with lineups, etc. Their a bad match against the Wizards. Defensively, the Celts are supposed to be one the best defensive teams and the Wiz dropped 109 points against them.

The Celts are not supposed to be one of the best defensive teams in the NBA, they are one of - (if not the best) defensive team in the NBA. They beat the snot out of the best teams in the NBA all year, and its pretty cleat Doc is resting all his players and experimenting with things currently. Why are you acting as if the celts played all there startes normally and lost the game? Pretty sure if any sports team severley limited the time there best players where in the game, and experimented with players and lineups things would be a bit different. Anyway, if you are going to discount that fact I dont really know how to debate you, because it does matter that the Celts have home court advantage locked up, and they are limiting the playing time off all there best players.

The celtics will beat the wizards, mark it down.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 08:53:44 AM »
The Celts are not supposed to be one of the best defensive teams in the NBA, they are one of - (if not the best) defensive team in the NBA. They beat the snot out of the best teams in the NBA all year, and its pretty cleat Doc is resting all his players and experimenting with things currently. Why are you acting as if the celts played all there startes normally and lost the game? Pretty sure if any sports team severley limited the time there best players where in the game, and experimented with players and lineups things would be a bit different. Anyway, if you are going to discount that fact I dont really know how to debate you, because it does matter that the Celts have home court advantage locked up, and they are limiting the playing time off all there best players.

The celtics will beat the wizards, mark it down.

Click the link, chief.

This box score from last night doesn't indicate that Rivers was resting anybody, my friend.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280409027

Pierce and allen logged 37 minutes and Garnett 31 minutes. Doesn't sound like an experiment with lineups to me. Nor does it sound like a game where starters were rested.  What about the other two losses to the Wizards earlier this season? One on the Celts home court earlier in the year.

Look, no doubt the Celts are better than the Wiz. I'm not disputing that. But the Wizards will be one of the more dangerous teams in the playoffs. They're healthy, and Arenas is intigrating himself in the flow of the lineup more and more.

Arenas, Jamison, and Butler are as dangerous as any three players on one team in the NBA, including your Celtics. Your team just plays better defense(except for last night :D). But the Wiz have a more explosive offense with those three guys on the Wiz playing in sync. Anything can happen.

If they play the Celtics with both teams at full strength in the playoffs....they will give the Celtics fits and have the potential to pull an upset.

Mark that down.  ;)

body88

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 11:08:54 AM »
Click the link, chief.

This box score from last night doesn't indicate that Rivers was resting anybody, my friend.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280409027

Pierce and allen logged 37 minutes and Garnett 31 minutes. Doesn't sound like an experiment with lineups to me. Nor does it sound like a game where starters were rested.  What about the other two losses to the Wizards earlier this season? One on the Celts home court earlier in the year.

Look, no doubt the Celts are better than the Wiz. I'm not disputing that. But the Wizards will be one of the more dangerous teams in the playoffs. They're healthy, and Arenas is intigrating himself in the flow of the lineup more and more.

Arenas, Jamison, and Butler are as dangerous as any three players on one team in the NBA, including your Celtics. Your team just plays better defense(except for last night :D). But the Wiz have a more explosive offense with those three guys on the Wiz playing in sync. Anything can happen.

If they play the Celtics with both teams at full strength in the playoffs....they will give the Celtics fits and have the potential to pull an upset.

Mark that down.  ;)

Your right about last night, however Rivers has been resting guys. Intersting to see he played them for that long last night. That said the Celtics are gonig to beat the Wizards, and then I can claim I called it all along!

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 11:15:32 AM »
If the current playoff seedings hold until the end, then the Wiz would have to win their first round series against Cleveland and the Celts would have to beat the Hawks.

Obivously, the Wiz would have a much tougher road. Cleveland has eliminated them the last two years so that's no easy task. But I do think the Wizards are playing much better basketball now than the Cavs. Lebron is a one man show on that squad and he's having back issues to boot.

I hope we get to see our teams play each other!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 08:56:02 PM »
i hate the term "red sox nation"