Author Topic: GTA IV, Oh Yeah!  (Read 14445 times)

mossel

• Getbig IV
  • I blame it on the D-bol!!!!
Re: GTA IV, Oh Yeah!
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2008, 06:33:14 AM »
Go with the 360, graphically, they'll be indistinguishable to the eye.  The 360, like you said will come with exclusive or downloadable content in the future.  The 360 has a better overall online service.
360 for sure.

yeah... go buy yourself a scratchbox 360... and get a hddvd player to go allong with it... costs a dollar nowadays...

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2008, 06:49:35 AM »
Is that first guy "the shadow"?

haha i cant get enough from those videos.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2008, 06:51:38 AM »
wait, in GTA4, you can play online against others?  Sounds fun.  I don't own a PS2/3 or Xbox, and haven't in about 3 years.  I have been thinking about getting one sometime soon.

I would avoid the PS3 like the plague, the 360 has done everything better from the get go.

I think even Sony exlcusives like MGS4 will eventually port to the 360.  
Y

mossel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2008, 06:53:27 AM »
is this another Coleman vs yates thread?

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2008, 07:20:43 AM »
trying to overuse the analog controls...like every jackass game developer seems to do these days..SKATE, being the first that comes to mind.  Pushing buttons for tricks, has worked for years, leave it:) 

You're full of shit if you think Fight Night and Skate would be the same w/ button pressing. I can't even touch Tony Hawk anymore. Open up a little bit
$

mossel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2008, 07:42:10 AM »
have a ps3... glad to... mates have a box... now on ebay... all want in on the 3...

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2008, 07:45:15 AM »
So question is who is buying it and who is 'cough' obtaining it?

mossel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2008, 07:49:10 AM »

mossel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2008, 08:05:01 AM »

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2008, 08:09:46 AM »
i prefer the ps3...right now the xbox is a bit better selling and it has a better online service but i'm sure within the next year the ps3 will dominate just like the ps2 and the psone

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2008, 08:28:15 AM »
get the 360 version. The ps3 online service sucks balls.
A

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2008, 08:40:06 AM »
right now the xbox is a bit better selling and it has a better online service but i'm sure within the next year the ps3 will dominate just like the ps2 and the psone

I can't agree with this.  I see nothing to indicate this other than going by name alone.

Let's look at the hard data. The 360 has sold 11.5 million units in the US. The PS3 has sold 4.6 million units in the US. That's close to a 7 million difference in units sold. There is no way it's going to catch that. The 360 will be dropping in price this year, making it attractive to people on the fence. The market that ps2 came out in is completely different from the market that the ps3 is in. If you come out the gate flat you're screwed. Sony came out flat. They have now lost 2 straight holiday seasons to the wii and 360 and they don't have any game for the 2008 holiday season that can compete with Gears of War 2.

The PS2 had no competition, neither did the ps1. The ps3 on the otherhand has the wii and 360. Also publishers run the video game world. The larger the installed userbase a console has, the more games publishers will put on it. In this case that's the 360.

Blu-ray is a non factor. Unlike DVD, people don't care about blu-ray. It's a niche format. DVD when it came out was the next natural step for home video. People buy their consoles to play games, not watch movies.

Nobody dominates the console wars for three generations straight.  Sony thought the Blu-ray player would enable them to price out the PS3 originally at $600 and that was a breaking point for most people.

The 360 has done it right on all apsects, save the heat-sync three red rings problem.   They solved it by taking a one billion dollar hit and giving out an unheard of three year warranty on repaired XBox 360s.
Y

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2008, 08:52:22 AM »
in japan the ps3 is right behind wii....in europe the ps3 will be on top within the next year
the only place where i can see the xbox winning is the usa

Stark

• Getbig V
Re: GTA IV , Oh Yeah!
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2008, 08:54:18 AM »
Bluto is correct.  Visually, GTAIV, while the best looking of the series, is mediocre graphically compared to GOW or COD4.  Take a look at any gameplay and it's pretty bland, graphically.

mate when It comes down to Computer games than  I know what I'm talking about, after all i have been working in the
Games industry for over 6 years.

You cannot compare GRAIV with GOW and COD4 all 3 are completly different cames, its silly to compare these.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2008, 09:05:04 AM »
in japan the ps3 is right behind wii....in europe the ps3 will be on top within the next year
the only place where i can see the xbox winning is the usa

The only market that matters, especially to us is the US market. The US market also happens to be the #1 market in the world.

The 360 recently dropped the price in Europe and saw their sales jump and outsell the PS3 the past 2 months.

The Japan market has never been able to handle an american console and in fact, the sales of the wii and ps3 have dipped in Japan this year

The 360 has a worldwide lead over the ps3 by over 7million, even though the 360 is only competitive in 2 markets.

In japan the wii has sold 3 million more then ps3, I'd hardly say thats right behind.

Of course I'm not arguing your personal preference to the PS3, just stating the numbers.  The PS3 will not dominate, and most good games will port to the 360 if the publishers want to make money.
Y

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2008, 09:38:29 AM »
The only market that matters, especially to us is the US market. The US market also happens to be the #1 market in the world.

The 360 recently dropped the price in Europe and saw their sales jump and outsell the PS3 the past 2 months.

The Japan market has never been able to handle an american console and in fact, the sales of the wii and ps3 have dipped in Japan this year

The 360 has a worldwide lead over the ps3 by over 7million, even though the 360 is only competitive in 2 markets.

In japan the wii has sold 3 million more then ps3, I'd hardly say thats right behind.

Of course I'm not arguing your personal preference to the PS3, just stating the numbers.  The PS3 will not dominate, and most good games will port to the 360 if the publishers want to make money.

ehh no... not when it comes down to Gaming

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2008, 09:44:26 AM »
ehh no... not when it comes down to Gaming

??

If you're talking about total gamers, yes Korea and Japan top the U.S in terms of % of population.  If you're talking about software sales, the U.S. market is the single most important market.

Y

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2008, 09:56:55 AM »

??

If you're talking about total gamers, yes Korea and Japan top the U.S in terms of % of population.  If you're talking about software sales, the U.S. market is the single most important market.

we are talking about generaly gaming (any form of Video gaming) Asian market way over the US market

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2008, 10:06:51 AM »
we are talking about generaly gaming (any form of Video gaming) Asian market way over the US market

My discussion with ironneck was that that I was saying that the PS3 will not dominate like the PS2 did.  That means console and software sales come into play.  In those terms, the US market is the one that matters most.

You're just putting out the word "gaming" in a broad, undefined term.  Asian market is way over the US market in what?
Y

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2008, 11:42:23 AM »
My discussion with ironneck was that that I was saying that the PS3 will not dominate like the PS2 did.  That means console and software sales come into play.  In those terms, the US market is the one that matters most.

You're just putting out the word "gaming" in a broad, undefined term.  Asian market is way over the US market in what?

i agree...will never dominate like the ps2

microsoft did a very good job with the 360...they learned from the mistakes of the first one

never the less the "name" plays a big role..i'm pretty sure many people will buy the ps3 when the price drops...the will buy it just because of the name,i'm talking about the casuel gamers who don't know much about gaming

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
Re: GTA IV , Oh Yeah!
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2008, 12:47:16 PM »
mate when It comes down to Computer games than  I know what I'm talking about, after all i have been working in the
Games industry for over 6 years.

You cannot compare GRAIV with GOW and COD4 all 3 are completly different cames, its silly to compare these.
Graphically you can.  Gears and COD4 are comparible, both FPS, but yes...different.  GTAIV, is it's own thing, but a shooter all the same.

The 360 is clearly a better gaming console, but the Japanese are so brand homeland driven, they're buying Wii's and PS3...both poorer consoles.  The bluray is a good feature and if your tv supports 1080p, really worth it, but for $400?  I did it, but should have bought a stand alone bluray, saved $300 and had a regular remote.  Now, I'm stuck with a shitty console and separate controller to play movies.  I'm still waiting for Sony to make one game that is worth buying for the console...MGS4 looks like a fucking snore fest.  Some old guy crawling around on the ground, sneaking in to towns, etc...just dull.  I'll take a good multiplayer over that single player mode any day.  It gets old, playing against imaginary AI.  I like to know I'm ruining someone, as I blast their head off with a shotgun.
The replay in a game is all multiplayer.  Single player is merely a 10 hours, multiplayer can be 200 hours over the course of a game.  COD4 did both very well.
N

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2008, 12:47:55 PM »

i agree...will never dominate like the ps2

microsoft did a very good job with the 360...they learned from the mistakes of the first one

never the less the "name" plays a big role..i'm pretty sure many people will buy the ps3 when the price drops...the will buy it just because of the name,i'm talking about the casuel gamers who don't know much about gaming

You're right, the name helps, and they may see somewhat of an increase, but they won't close the gap or dominate.  The Wii's getting in the way of grabbing the casual fanbase.

The PS3 just doesn't have the exlusive title power any more outside of FF.   Games like GTAIV are cross platform and MGS (my favorite all time series on any platform) is not a console seller.

Microsoft got them this round, and I will always recommend the the 360 over the PS3 to somene on the fence.
Y

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2008, 01:38:13 PM »
Japanese will only japan made products. Its not like it is here.
A

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2008, 02:16:47 PM »
You're right, the name helps, and they may see somewhat of an increase, but they won't close the gap or dominate.  The Wii's getting in the way of grabbing the casual fanbase.

The PS3 just doesn't have the exlusive title power any more outside of FF.   Games like GTAIV are cross platform and MGS (my favorite all time series on any platform) is not a console seller.

Microsoft got them this round, and I will always recommend the the 360 over the PS3 to somene on the fence.
Gears of War and the online functionality, ruin the PS3.  Microsoft needs to wise up and put a Bluray in there.  Then, there would be absolutely no reason to buy a PS3, but I'm sure they figure, why start now.  They'll probably wait for the next version of the Xbox to do that...2012.
N

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2008, 04:36:28 PM »
I think we'll see the next gen XBox before 2012.  I think that would make the 360 a 7 year console, which I don't think will happen.

Looks like Kojima's not too happy with MGS4, mostly due to the limitations of the PS3:

http://kotaku.com/381412/kojima-disappointed-with-metal-gear-solid-4
Y