Author Topic: R Robinson photos I took in 1978  (Read 11485 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: R Robinson photos I took in 1978
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2008, 04:47:05 PM »
hey Moose do you remember that commercial Rich did for Mega Mass around 91 or so? i remember watching that when i first started following bb'ing, there were a couple of skinny guys benching and Gaspari walks in.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2008, 04:49:54 PM »
Yes...when he took 5th in the Olympia...which he deserved, pretty much...but a very cool guy, nonetheless....

Steve O'Brien-Natural Mr. California (1980?), who is now a head honcho in the NPC and a promoter of the Contra Costa, used to be roommates with Kal, and Kal had been to my gym with Steve a few times. Big guy kal was.

Steve told me that Kal should have won the 78 Olympia, or at least be in the top 2 or 3.

I can tell you Kal's upper body was probably the very best during the late 70's.

hey Moose do you remember that commercial Rich did for Mega Mass around 91 or so? i remember watching that when i first started following bb'ing, there were a couple of skinny guys benching and Gaspari walks in.

I remember Rich was the ad man for Weiders mega Mass 3000 (or was it 8000?), I would laugh my ass off knowig the cycles he was on.....  ::)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »
Steve O'Brien-Natural Mr. California (1980?), who is now a head honcho in the NPC and a promoter of the Contra Costa, used to be roommates with Kal, and Kal had been to my gym with Steve a few times. Big guy kal was.

Steve told me that Kal should have won the 78 Olympia, or at least be in the top 2 or 3.

I can tell you Kal's upper body was probably the very best during the late 70's.

I remember Rich was the ad man for Weiders mega Mass 3000 (or was it 8000?), I would laugh my ass off knowig the cycles he was on.....  ::)
hahahahhaa, yeah 'ol Joe and Ben conveniently left that out. ;D

Moosejay

« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2008, 04:55:01 PM »

yup, sure do...Rich was in his prime at the time...

Moosejay

« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2008, 05:28:32 AM »
Kal held a small seminar in my gym the day I shot those photos...he literally said, "Look...I take steroids...it's a decision I made...if I get cancer ten years or so up the road...so be it."

Today, in his 50's, he is a champion bicycle racer....still big biceps...apparently cancer-free...so be it

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2008, 08:00:28 AM »
Kal held a small seminar in my gym the day I shot those photos...he literally said, "Look...I take steroids...it's a decision I made...if I get cancer ten years or so up the road...so be it."

Today, in his 50's, he is a champion bicycle racer....still big biceps...apparently cancer-free...so be it

And the funny thing is Kal still has toothpick legs despite the bike racing!

Moosejay

« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2008, 08:04:05 AM »
Well...I wouldn't say toothpick...but  you can still see some pec dev and the bis are def still there....obviously augments the bike training with weights.

Looks good and young for a former pro...sort of emboldens the fact that drug use was nowhere near what it is today

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2008, 04:06:12 PM »
Well...I wouldn't say toothpick...but  you can still see some pec dev and the bis are def still there....obviously augments the bike training with weights.

Looks good and young for a former pro...sort of emboldens the fact that drug use was nowhere near what it is today

I will bet you that Kal does not train with the weights anymore-and his Bicep is natural like that......

In fact I am pretty sure he does not train because if he did people would post it here-he lives in San Juan Capistrano, So Cal.

Lots of Getbiggers in So Cal....... Kal would be outed if he still trained.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2008, 04:11:43 PM »
Rich Gaspari was actually the first bodybuilder ever that displayed striated glutes...He took conditioning to a whole new level....Robby was unreal...incredible body and would be a champ today in this era...was definitely overlooked because he was black

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2008, 04:26:03 PM »
Rich Gaspari was actually the first bodybuilder ever that displayed striated glutes..

Rich and Renel Janvier.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2008, 04:35:54 PM »
Rich and Renel Janvier.

Rich was the first-still remember Flex showing a pic of his ass with striated glutes...... and going "WTF!"

Moosejay

« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2008, 08:16:34 PM »

I will bet you that Kal does not train with the weights anymore-and his Bicep is natural like that......

In fact I am pretty sure he does not train because if he did people would post it here-he lives in San Juan Capistrano, So Cal.

Lots of Getbiggers in So Cal....... Kal would be outed if he still trained.

I have also heard he does not particularly cotton to talking about his bb career...much like Ken Waller cannot be found anywhere...

Moosejay

« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Rich and Renel Janvier.

Yes, I competed with Renel in the 1983 Teen Scholastic Amercia show...he blew all teens and men out in that show...he was 18 and I had never seen such a clearly developed sartorius muscle in my life...

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2008, 08:21:29 PM »
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

Moosejay

« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2008, 08:25:48 PM »
I think Renel Janvier ended up getting in trouble with the Law and spent some time in lockup. He was from Bridgeport, CT...not far from me... 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2008, 11:25:49 PM »
I have also heard he does not particularly cotton to talking about his bb career...much like Ken Waller cannot be found anywhere...

Kenny doesn't work for Extremewear anymore?

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2008, 01:07:21 PM »

I just remembered something, the 89 LA Open where Robbby guest posed and Arnold showed up with Maria, Ken Waller was there too! I forgot all about that. Ken was there and so was Rufus Howard, bis dude who won the AAU Mr America....... Lots of big names would show up at the LA Open.....

Moosejay

« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2008, 01:24:15 PM »
I just remembered something, the 89 LA Open where Robbby guest posed and Arnold showed up with Maria, Ken Waller was there too! I forgot all about that. Ken was there and so was Rufus Howard, bis dude who won the AAU Mr America....... Lots of big names would show up at the LA Open.....

Yeah...I was at the show Rufus won in Mass around 1982...he was a butcher at the time...he was gigantic...

Moosejay

« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2008, 01:50:43 PM »
Kenny doesn't work for Extremewear anymore?

No...he moved to I think Saint Louis where his son is a top Division 1 NCAA BB player

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2008, 05:54:29 PM »
No...he moved to I think Saint Louis where his son is a top Division 1 NCAA BB player

Thanks.  He was a nut to be around.  He used to love to embarrass me when I was out with a girl.  He would always come up to me and who I was with and say "another one"?  Then the girl would get pissed.  He and Tony Pearson and Ron Depolito were the ones who convinced me to eat tuna and lettuce and water all the time.

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2008, 06:03:16 PM »
Rich was the first-still remember Flex showing a pic of his ass with striated glutes...... and going "WTF!"

You're wrong you old fart! Bill Grant was the 1st!

Moosejay

« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2008, 06:56:35 PM »
Thanks.  He was a nut to be around.  He used to love to embarrass me when I was out with a girl.  He would always come up to me and who I was with and say "another one"?  Then the girl would get pissed.  He and Tony Pearson and Ron Depolito were the ones who convinced me to eat tuna and lettuce and water all the time.

No prob. Yes, Waller was known for extreme tuna diets, and he was equally renowned for eating the largest post-comp meals on record.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2008, 10:24:36 AM »
No prob. Yes, Waller was known for extreme tuna diets, and he was equally renowned for eating the largest post-comp meals on record.
I forget....was he into tuna lettuce wraps, tuna in water, or plain tuna?

Moosejay

« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2008, 10:25:44 AM »
all the same, I think

Moosejay

« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »
all the same, I think

waller was best known for weating  like 12 lobsetrs after abnd show atb ewone time