Author Topic: THE OFFICIAL GETBIG BENCH PRESS CHALLENGE THREAD!!!  (Read 44999 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: THE OFFICIAL GETBIG BENCH PRESS CHALLENGE THREAD!!!
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2008, 05:55:20 PM »
hahaha i smell bullshit you sand baggin bastard!  ;D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2008, 07:07:26 PM »
hahaha i smell bullshit you sand baggin bastard!  ;D

Just pulling out in the lead, bro! ;D

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2008, 07:53:39 PM »
yeah, that looked real tough lift, I'm sure you told your girl you needed a rub down after that   :D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2008, 07:55:59 PM »
yeah, that looked real tough lift, I'm sure you told your girl you needed a rub down after that   :D

Perhaps you can do better ???

I dont see your vid!?

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2008, 08:05:26 PM »
im not flaming. im sure you can lift more than me, just agreeing that you looked like you were sandbagging there. sorry if it came across otherwise.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2008, 09:48:45 PM »
im not flaming. im sure you can lift more than me, just agreeing that you looked like you were sandbagging there. sorry if it came across otherwise.

Not trying to "sandbag" anyone. I can do more for sure but no one has posted yet and if no one else does, I win! :D

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2008, 11:21:11 PM »
Not trying to "sandbag" anyone. I can do more for sure but no one has posted yet and if no one else does, I win! :D
lol you still winning!!
A

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2008, 10:24:06 AM »
So are there any restrictions on hand spacing--ie ultra wide is allowed or not allowed. 

And pausing isn't allowed at any point? 

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2008, 10:29:29 AM »
So are there any restrictions on hand spacing--ie ultra wide is allowed or not allowed. 

i can't imagine why pausing wouldn't be allowed. unlike the deadlift, there's no point in a bench press where the stress isn't on your body.

so what rep range are we looking at to be competitive here? i'm going to toss my hat in the ring anyway, but i want to make sure i'm not embarrassed like last time.  ;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »

nope none.. just cant use supportive gear outside of wrist wraps and belts.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2008, 12:32:26 PM »
i can't imagine why pausing wouldn't be allowed. unlike the deadlift, there's no point in a bench press where the stress isn't on your body.

so what rep range are we looking at to be competitive here? i'm going to toss my hat in the ring anyway, but i want to make sure i'm not embarrassed like last time.  ;D

haha who knows.. unlike pulling..yesterday I gas'd at 10 reps on 225 during inclines.. SUCKS!

20 or so would probably put you at the top!

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2008, 02:02:49 PM »
haha who knows.. unlike pulling..yesterday I gas'd at 10 reps on 225 during inclines.. SUCKS!

20 or so would probably put you at the top!

Dude, I'm guessing 30-35 or more minimum to put you at the top.  20 should be mid range.   The thing that would do me in is breathing, because at some point I'm going to be gasping for air, which will mess up rythm.  Thats why I was wondering about pausing on the bottom or the top to take a deep breath if that was allowed. 

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »
Wolfie will post 50 reps, no problem.

Perhaps a looped video is the answer? :D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2008, 03:03:03 PM »
Wolfie will post 50 reps, no problem.

Perhaps a looped video is the answer? :D

hahaha now i'm beginning to think your entry is suspect after that statement :P

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2008, 11:18:16 AM »
well i'm going to set the pace in about 45 minutes. roundabout 3:30 EST expect a video of magoo hitting somewhere in the vicinity of 25 reps. who knows, since i'm doing it fresh, i might even hit more.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2008, 01:07:36 PM »
MISTER MAGOO'S GUIDE TO FUCKING UP THE BENCH PRESS CHALLENGE

1) start off with a heavy close-grip workout. it helps if you aim for a 3RM, and then immediately afterwards going back to wide-grip to 'feel the weight'.

2) totally mess up your foot and hand placement, but rep out anyway. you'll be a good 8-9 reps under your target, but do it regardless.

3) take a second attempt. don't wait too long either. just enough for the inflated feeling to fade off. remember, this WON'T mean you're back up to full strength, so don't worry.

4) BONUS TIP: the night before, do all your laundry so you have no blankets in your room. assume that because it's may you'll be plenty warm. fortunately you won't, so you'll wake up every 2 hours or so throughout the night.

end result: one shitty attempt at 16 reps, one shitty attempt at 19 reps. video forthcoming. next week i'll try it again.

>:(

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2008, 08:32:13 PM »
MISTER MAGOO'S GUIDE TO FUCKING UP THE BENCH PRESS CHALLENGE

1) start off with a heavy close-grip workout. it helps if you aim for a 3RM, and then immediately afterwards going back to wide-grip to 'feel the weight'.

2) totally mess up your foot and hand placement, but rep out anyway. you'll be a good 8-9 reps under your target, but do it regardless.

3) take a second attempt. don't wait too long either. just enough for the inflated feeling to fade off. remember, this WON'T mean you're back up to full strength, so don't worry.

4) BONUS TIP: the night before, do all your laundry so you have no blankets in your room. assume that because it's may you'll be plenty warm. fortunately you won't, so you'll wake up every 2 hours or so throughout the night.

end result: one shitty attempt at 16 reps, one shitty attempt at 19 reps. video forthcoming. next week i'll try it again.

>:(

Chin up!  It puts you in the lead by 14 reps, assuming there were 19 good reps there!

Jason

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2008, 12:53:51 AM »
Chin up!  It puts you in the lead by 14 reps, assuming there were 19 good reps there!

Jason

eh. depends on your definition of a "good rep". each one was from chest to full lockout with nothing resembling a bounce. however, my butt definitely popped up slightly on a few. judge for yourself.  :-\

my head was just not there. i guaran-fucking-tee i can get 25 on a good day.

and in my defense, here's 21. not sure if this one'll count either though.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2008, 07:38:01 AM »

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2008, 08:28:28 AM »
I think your ass came off on every rep, Magoo?

We may be tied at best. :D

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2008, 09:31:16 AM »
I think your ass came off on every rep, Magoo?

We may be tied at best. :D

what fucks me up is that the bench at that gym is, no joke, six inches closer to the ground than what i'm used to (normally i'm at the gym at my school). i have to completely change my foot placement and i don't have a damn clue exactly where to go. it pisses me off.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2008, 10:35:02 AM »
what fucks me up is that the bench at that gym is, no joke, six inches closer to the ground than what i'm used to (normally i'm at the gym at my school). i have to completely change my foot placement and i don't have a damn clue exactly where to go. it pisses me off.

How high is that bench at your school?   The one in the video doesn't look that low. 

Try putting your feet out wider, it'll help with your stability and the butt raising too. 

This is completely off topic, but I gotta include it because it was linked to your video.   This dude just cracks me up.   Does anyone actually know him? 

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2008, 12:44:42 PM »
This is completely off topic, but I gotta include it because it was linked to your video.   This dude just cracks me up.   Does anyone actually know him? 

that guy is strong.
A

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2008, 12:04:28 AM »
How high is that bench at your school?   The one in the video doesn't look that low. 

Try putting your feet out wider, it'll help with your stability and the butt raising too. 

i'll give it a shot next week. i'll put up a vid of the heavier workout and the 225 rep. hopefully it'll work out.

the one at my school was just a few inches higher, enough so that my knees were a hair lower than it when lying flat, and that made it work fantastically. i could push with all my might and my butt stayed down. it's how i hit the 365.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2008, 03:36:52 AM »
i'll give it a shot next week. i'll put up a vid of the heavier workout and the 225 rep. hopefully it'll work out.

the one at my school was just a few inches higher, enough so that my knees were a hair lower than it when lying flat, and that made it work fantastically. i could push with all my might and my butt stayed down. it's how i hit the 365.

Nice work Magoo. I would give this a shot, but my bench sucks atm cos I'm kinda screwing around with it  :( What age are you by the way? Do you compete?