Author Topic: 1978 to 1981...Kal, Dennis, Robby and others...real kool photos...  (Read 23322 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: 1978 to 1981...Kal, Dennis, Robby and others...real kool photos...
« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2008, 09:07:27 PM »
Johnny, Swartzen  ...... I know that Rick introduced us to  two of his gym partners there that day and one of them probably was Jon but the impressive one (first name was Dave I think) at that time who was probably training for the LA contest or the Cal contest (the only two major worthwhile contests at that time outside of the NPC national events) was the youngest kid with blond hair who we figured would win the Cal or the LA or any west coast contest he chose to enter.

I lost contact with all of them due to some problem in some minor foreign country someplace and would really like to contact Rick again and see what he's been up to.

Moose, you mentioned in another post that those were the good old days of bodybuilding and I have to agree entirely and maybe stretch those good old days back evem a bit further to the 50's.

Times have not changed too very much because even back then  the guys who trained and packed on the muscle were just as much "despised" as they appear to be by many of these "GetBiggers" on this board today. But the worst we were ever called back then was "Muscle-Bound" or "Muscle-Head" and I loved that because it let me know that I was making gains.

Anything worse was usually settled by punch to a nose or twenty paces from the front end of a BB gun (actually happened once).

Times sure have changed today. Now we yell at each other over longer and much safer distances.

Moosejay

« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2008, 10:08:06 PM »
Ha stunt...you ain't kidding. Loggerheads used to be settled by maybe a fistfight...now you could get yourself blown away.

Yeah...the good old days...they ain't never comin' back....

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #152 on: April 23, 2008, 10:33:24 PM »
I worked out at that Gold's in Pacific Beach from 1988 to 1991 and remember both of them very well. Rick was always very friendly and upbeat, Jon I didn't talk to much. What makes you think they weren't very smart?

Dave Zachery??? Craig Lymann??? I knew everyone that worked Gold's from the time they bought the gym in 86 until I left, in 92, so who are you???

As for Jon and Rick not being the sharpest tools in the shed, you are kidding right???

Jon Depolo would have been working at McDonald's if Rick did not give him his job. Rick would have been working at McDonald's if Connors had not given him his job. Get serious, the only reason either of them were there is because they were brought in thru connections-Rick did not have a dime to his name in 86 when Ed bought the gym in 86, he drove to San Diego from AZ on a beat up motorcycle with everything he owned in a backpack.

Both Rick and Jon were/are of less than average intelligence.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2008, 10:38:06 PM »

I lost contact with all of them due to some problem in some minor foreign country someplace and would really like to contact Rick again and see what he's been up to.

RICK STEPHENSON
3070 RACETRACK VIEW DR   
DEL MAR, CA  92014   (858) 794-9951

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2008, 08:13:03 AM »
Thanks, Johnny. I will give him a call and see what's up.

Regarding the guy who was so damn impressive. I believe it was Dave Zachery. Was he or was he not one of Rick's partners? And if he was the guy preparing for the LA or the Cal, how did he do and did he ever compete again?

I never did train there. We just stopped by to say hello to Rick on our way down to MCRD.

Now I do recall Rick's RANGER tattoo and I do know that he was in the AF when I initially met him, but wasn't he an Army RANGER before switching over to the AF? Can't understand why anyone would get a Ranger tattoo if he never was in fact - a Ranger.

Kind of like an Army guy getting SEMPER FI tattooed on his chest.

Thanks for the info Johnny.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2008, 08:41:40 AM »
Dave Zachery worked the front desk as a small equity partner in 88 on, dont knwo when he left. He has been workign for Icarian/Precore fitness the last few years, in Sun Valley/LA.

Dave also ran the SF Gold's with Jon Loyd and Barry Clothier. Dave got all these jobs thru Ed Connors, from when you worked out at (and worked the front desk) Gold's Venice.

Dave went into the 89 San Diego and took a very close second, and that was the last show he did. Very good upper body, but no wheels. You are probably speaking abpout Jon Depolo though-who was better than Dave as a BBer, and did go into the Cal in 89-taking 4th in the HVYWT's, one palce in front of Milos.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2008, 09:45:31 AM »
Kal was very strong on triceps,so i could imagine him repping with 4 plates on the incline no problem.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2008, 11:16:26 AM »
Thanks, Johnny. I will give him a call and see what's up.

Regarding the guy who was so damn impressive. I believe it was Dave Zachery. Was he or was he not one of Rick's partners? And if he was the guy preparing for the LA or the Cal, how did he do and did he ever compete again?

I never did train there. We just stopped by to say hello to Rick on our way down to MCRD.

Now I do recall Rick's RANGER tattoo and I do know that he was in the AF when I initially met him, but wasn't he an Army RANGER before switching over to the AF? Can't understand why anyone would get a Ranger tattoo if he never was in fact - a Ranger.

Kind of like an Army guy getting SEMPER FI tattooed on his chest.

Thanks for the info Johnny.

Marines can go through Ranger School or Jump School.....I guess thats why he did it.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2008, 11:23:34 AM »
Marines can go through Ranger School or Jump School.....I guess thats why he did it.

So was Rick army or AF then????? I dont get it....  ::)

BTW, why the hell is there an age limit for the service??? I called up last year and the said I was too old.

Why not just do physical testing-you pass the test you're in, you fail you're out...... seems pretty simple to me.......I dont get that.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2008, 11:38:42 AM »
So was Rick army or AF then????? I dont get it....  ::)

BTW, why the hell is there an age limit for the service??? I called up last year and the said I was too old.

Why not just do physical testing-you pass the test you're in, you fail you're out...... seems pretty simple to me.......I dont get that.

Well, they have to figure you on retiring before or at age 55.  So subtract 55-20 years.  Pretty much...there you go.

Rick was in the Air Force.

A good friend of mine was a Marine too & he used to work out with Rick back in the early 80's.  Rick told him he was in the Air Force but went to Ranger school.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2008, 12:19:52 PM »
Well, they have to figure you on retiring before or at age 55.  So subtract 55-20 years.  Pretty much...there you go.

Rick was in the Air Force.

A good friend of mine was a Marine too & he used to work out with Rick back in the early 80's.  Rick told him he was in the Air Force but went to Ranger school.

55 is a mandatory retirement age for the service???

If so, that may explain it-except for times of war--then anyone should be able to join.

Moosejay

« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2008, 02:30:40 PM »
55 is a mandatory retirement age for the service???

If so, that may explain it-except for times of war--then anyone should be able to join.

Is it also true that you can enlist up to age 43? If so, I missed by a year...

The above photos of Kal are impressive...I am still pretty sure he was reppin' 405 on the incline in my gym when I was a kid...