Author Topic: 1944 most muscular pose  (Read 6820 times)

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
1944 most muscular pose
« on: July 16, 2008, 11:31:19 AM »
dan lurie. 24 years old.

ozman

• Getbig IV
Re: 1944 most muscular pose
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 02:41:35 PM »
pretty jacked for 1944

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 05:11:07 PM »

Better most muscular by Dan

Dan (on right) with scrawny Joe Weider in the middle.

Dan still looks pretty good at 78 years old.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:45:21 PM »
pretty good

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 04:56:42 PM »
Good catch on that "most muscular" shot.

Dan came to the Santa Monica meeting when we all got together to officially vote to "side with"  Ben and Joe Weider many years ago.

I say "side with" because I can't recall if we set up the NPC at that precise time or if we merely "broke away" from the AAU. I think we merely broke away and then formed up the NPC at a later date. Anyone got those FACTS? I was involved but I honestly forget the who, what, and when regarding the formation of the NPC.

But I do know the "WHY". The "WHY" is the easy part.

That meeting was important enough to get the attention and appearance and adverse participation of some pretty important old timers such as the Hoffman contingent (a large group of Hoffmanites headed by John Terpak if I'm not mistaken), Dan Lurie who had "Muscle Training Illustrated" at that time, Mabel and Perry, and some real old timers who worked for Joe and Ben many years earlier when they were just in the process of setting up the IFBB, and the disgrunted AAU bodybuilding officials who actually ran things at that time, and some of the athletes who participated in the previous evening's AAU Mr. America contest, and various State Bodybuilding AAU reps.

The meeting started with some pretty verbose remarks from the floor, particularly from the Hoffman group and also from Dan. When it came time for Ben Weider to step up and take the microphone, he did it like a perfect gentleman in his blue blazer and great demeanor. And he simply made an offer that could not be refuses even though there were many in the audience who were adverse and claimed that the IFBB was not what he was then claiming it to be, but simply a bunch of PO Boxes in various countries where the mail was seldom picked up unless some local kid on a bicycle stopped by to pick it it and take it to his adobe or hacienda or tent.

But the Weider's seemed to be the only guys who came prepared and offering a solution to the problems that existed at that time. And they won and most everyone else got mad as hell even though they hadn't offered a solution of another kind.

Dan appeared extremely pissed and hasn't hit a most muscular since that date.

That is how I recall it happening. Maybe Dan or someone else who was actually present at that early morning Santa Monica meeting will offer a different version or correct me if and where I'm wrong.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 04:34:02 AM »
Weider looking pretty small there. I guess it must be shortly before he acquired a Robby Robinson like torso, and started walking around fully clothed only...

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 03:14:44 AM »
that is amazing for 1944

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 08:03:47 PM »
Remarkable to be 24 all the way back in 1944 and still alive today. Looks damn good for that time, especially as it was likely drug free.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 01:01:03 PM »
This is Dan at 78? Damn impressive for a very near 80 year old man!

h

Moosejay

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 09:22:15 AM »

Better most muscular by Dan

Dan (on right) with scrawny Joe Weider in the middle.

Dan still looks pretty good at 78 years old.

Interesting thing is that NO ONE hit a MM back then.

Cretianly was not a required pose.

And I think that is the best Day Dan ever had as a bb.