Author Topic: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck  (Read 3568 times)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 07:10:10 PM »
It's a great profession.  What branch? 
USMC.
Squishy face retard

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 07:10:57 PM »
Oh brother.   ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 07:17:10 PM »
USMC.

:o  That's no joke.  Good luck mang. 

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 07:18:59 PM »
USMC.

Why don't you ask Hugo Chavez what he thinks you ought to do? He was actually in the Marine Corps, unlike the squishy-faced retard Dooosh Bum.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »
Cap you might want to ask headhunter about the Marines.  He served too. 

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 07:40:31 PM »

Cap, what's your degree in?

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 07:42:45 PM »
Cap, what's your degree in?
BS in Justice Studies (mix between Pre-Law and Crim Justice basically) and a Minor in Communication.  Law enforcement jobs slowed down their hiring significantly in the past six months so it is harder to get on a dept right now.
Squishy face retard

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »
BS in Justice Studies (mix between Pre-Law and Crim Justice basically) and a Minor in Communication.  Law enforcement jobs slowed down their hiring significantly in the past six months so it is harder to get on a dept right now.

Are you pretty committed to working LE? 

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 07:49:46 PM »
Are you pretty committed to working LE? 
Yeah but I want to make good money in the mean time.  Being a college grad and working a shit job was not what I imagined for myself. 
Squishy face retard

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
Yeah but I want to make good money in the mean time.  Being a college grad and working a shit job was not what I imagined for myself. 

These are unusual times.  Joining the USMC is not necessarily a bad thing, but you are signing away a portion of your life. Do you know what your long-term goals are?  How would the USMC fit in with those goals? 

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2008, 07:59:08 PM »
These are unusual times.  Joining the USMC is not necessarily a bad thing, but you are signing away a portion of your life. Do you know what your long-term goals are?  How would the USMC fit in with those goals? 

With combat arms experience I would be a prime candidate for a number of federal law enforcement agencies that desire military experience, especially those who have been in the sand box.
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 08:02:02 PM »
With combat arms experience I would be a prime candidate for a number of federal law enforcement agencies that desire military experience, especially those who have been in the sand box.

You'd be an MP?  Good job, particularly if you're an officer.  There's also criminal investigations.  Called CID in the Army.  Not sure what it's called in the Marines.  Headhunter would know. 

You could walk into a very good GS job after serving.  You could also work on a graduate degree while you serve. 

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 08:06:05 PM »

Would you be an officer, cap? I've heard stories of recruiters promising the moon and failing to deliver.  I don't know how negotiations with recruiters work, but I'd make sure I had everything i wanted from the corps in writing before I signed up.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2008, 08:16:45 PM »
Yeah my best bet is to have a former service member or lawyer look at it before I would ever sign.

So what are we going to do about gas?
Squishy face retard

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2008, 09:35:49 PM »
Hey but we have the oil..... ::)

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2008, 09:49:34 PM »
And certain states, like mine, are getting screwed with the additives we have to put in.
Squishy face retard

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2008, 09:51:53 PM »
And certain states, like mine, are getting screwed with the additives we have to put in.
that blows.   I'm investing in an oil well. 

and how does additives screw you btw?

mac7000

• Getbig II
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2008, 09:52:46 PM »
$4.30 gallon in Chicago... thank god for public transportation.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2008, 09:57:56 PM »
that blows.   I'm investing in an oil well. 

and how does additives screw you btw?
From what I understand, there are additives that my state requires to be put in that increases the cost of the gas when compared to other states.  Having lived in two states with different restrictions within the past month, I can see how it would make sense.
Squishy face retard

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
From what I understand, there are additives that my state requires to be put in that increases the cost of the gas when compared to other states.  Having lived in two states with different restrictions within the past month, I can see how it would make sense.

Are you talking about California?

Why are the additives put in?  do you know?

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2008, 10:12:09 PM »
Are you talking about California?

Why are the additives put in?  do you know?
Yes sir.  I couldn't tell you but I def want to leave the state if I can.  We get fucked for gas and will continue to.  I've heard ways we can provide minor fixes to the price of oil and gas but I don't see them happening, hence my desire to just enlist and maybe stay.  Living on base can go a long way.
Squishy face retard

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2008, 11:07:10 PM »
::) Here comes the Climate Security Act of 2008 ::)

Just read this from Gary Bauer (ouramericanvalues.org)

Senate To Raise Gas Prices?

I wonder how many Americans are eager to pay $5.00 a gallon for gas? Believe it or not, while gas prices continue to creep up, the United States Senate is in the middle of a debate on a mammoth piece of legislation that would increase your pain at the pump and increase prices on just about everything you buy. The Climate Security Act of 2008, now pending in the Senate, would be the biggest restructuring of the American economy since the New Deal era of the 1930s. It is also expected to generate an excess of
$3 trillion in new revenues for the federal bureaucracy by imposing a “cap and trade” scheme on the economy. Henceforth, carbon will essentially be taxed in order to force our economy to develop “greener” production options. If a corporation needs to exceed its carbon cap, it can buy carbon allowances. In short, companies could buy “indulgences” from the government for the “sin” of capitalism. The costs, of course, would be passed on to you and me through higher prices on everything.

According to the Wall Street Journal, however, over $800 billion of the $3 trillion in expected revenue is being reserved for “relief” to low-income taxpayers to help mitigate higher costs mandated by the legislation.  There’s $500 billion in corporate welfare and subsidies to help businesses adjust, and there’s also $350 billion set aside for foreign aid. And get this: The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that the bill could reduce America’s gross domestic product between $1 trillion and $3 trillion, increase home utility bills by 44% and raise gas prices by as much as $1.40 per gallon.

All of this is being proposed to combat global warming, a theory that has taken a few hits recently. Conservatives want a clean environment too, but many of us are skeptical of ideological pseudo-science that proposes, as its solution, a massive government-mandated restructuring plan that could wreak havoc on the greatest economy the world has ever known. More often than not, government mandates end up making more problems than they solve.  The track record of mandates and command economies is miserable, yet some politicians think bigger government and higher taxes are the solution to the world’s perceived weather woes. This bill is precisely what I and others have warned about – global warming has become the latest in a long line of fashionable causes seized upon by the Left to remake America in its image. The Climate Security Act of 2008 would be more suitably named the Economic Strangulation Act of 2008.

“Our Own Oil Cartel”

Terry Jeffery, editor of the Cybercast News Service, has a brilliant column today entitled “Our Own Oil Cartel.” Here’s the gist of his article:

“Contemplate this the next time you spend $60 or more filling up your tiny little car with gasoline made from imported oil: The U.S. government knows where it can get its hands on more untapped petroleum than exists in the proven reserves of Iran or Iraq, which have 136 billion barrels and 115 billion barrels, respectively. …So, where is all this oil? And why aren’t they pumping it? …What insidious power is stifling the free market for this vital commodity and thus threatening the vitality of our economy?”

As Jeffrey rightly observers, it’s us! “It is our oil that sits untapped beneath our deserts, our forests, our swamps, and our oceans. It is our politicians – the ones we freely elected, and re-elected, and re-elected – who are not allowing our oil to be drilled by us and sold to us.” How much oil? According to the Department of the Interior’s Mineral Management Service, 86 billion barrels of oil are locked in the Outer Continental Shelf, off the coasts of America. In recent weeks, the Bureau of Land Management stated that another 53 billion barrels are available on land.  That’s 139 billion barrels of oil at our disposal – more than Russia (60 billion barrels), more than Venezuela (80 billion barrels), more than Kuwait (101 billion barrels). But liberal politicians would rather ban its use and force our dependence on hostile regimes than spur a new wave of job growth and investment by tapping this vast national resource. Until we understand that energy security is economic security and national security, nothing is likely to change. You can read Mr. Jeffrey’s column online at
www.cnsnews.com.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2008, 02:35:41 AM »
Go Air Force...it's the easiest, safest, and offers the most amenities (without having the win the 'lottery'). 

Some people argue that Coast Guard is the cushiest military branch, but then a lot of other people don't even consider them 'real' military.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2008, 07:14:18 AM »
::) Here comes the Climate Security Act of 2008 ::)

Just read this from Gary Bauer (ouramericanvalues.org)

Senate To Raise Gas Prices?

I wonder how many Americans are eager to pay $5.00 a gallon for gas? Believe it or not, while gas prices continue to creep up, the United States Senate is in the middle of a debate on a mammoth piece of legislation that would increase your pain at the pump and increase prices on just about everything you buy. The Climate Security Act of 2008, now pending in the Senate, would be the biggest restructuring of the American economy since the New Deal era of the 1930s. It is also expected to generate an excess of
$3 trillion in new revenues for the federal bureaucracy by imposing a “cap and trade” scheme on the economy. Henceforth, carbon will essentially be taxed in order to force our economy to develop “greener” production options. If a corporation needs to exceed its carbon cap, it can buy carbon allowances. In short, companies could buy “indulgences” from the government for the “sin” of capitalism. The costs, of course, would be passed on to you and me through higher prices on everything.

According to the Wall Street Journal, however, over $800 billion of the $3 trillion in expected revenue is being reserved for “relief” to low-income taxpayers to help mitigate higher costs mandated by the legislation.  There’s $500 billion in corporate welfare and subsidies to help businesses adjust, and there’s also $350 billion set aside for foreign aid. And get this: The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that the bill could reduce America’s gross domestic product between $1 trillion and $3 trillion, increase home utility bills by 44% and raise gas prices by as much as $1.40 per gallon.

All of this is being proposed to combat global warming, a theory that has taken a few hits recently. Conservatives want a clean environment too, but many of us are skeptical of ideological pseudo-science that proposes, as its solution, a massive government-mandated restructuring plan that could wreak havoc on the greatest economy the world has ever known. More often than not, government mandates end up making more problems than they solve.  The track record of mandates and command economies is miserable, yet some politicians think bigger government and higher taxes are the solution to the world’s perceived weather woes. This bill is precisely what I and others have warned about – global warming has become the latest in a long line of fashionable causes seized upon by the Left to remake America in its image. The Climate Security Act of 2008 would be more suitably named the Economic Strangulation Act of 2008.

“Our Own Oil Cartel”

Terry Jeffery, editor of the Cybercast News Service, has a brilliant column today entitled “Our Own Oil Cartel.” Here’s the gist of his article:

“Contemplate this the next time you spend $60 or more filling up your tiny little car with gasoline made from imported oil: The U.S. government knows where it can get its hands on more untapped petroleum than exists in the proven reserves of Iran or Iraq, which have 136 billion barrels and 115 billion barrels, respectively. …So, where is all this oil? And why aren’t they pumping it? …What insidious power is stifling the free market for this vital commodity and thus threatening the vitality of our economy?”

As Jeffrey rightly observers, it’s us! “It is our oil that sits untapped beneath our deserts, our forests, our swamps, and our oceans. It is our politicians – the ones we freely elected, and re-elected, and re-elected – who are not allowing our oil to be drilled by us and sold to us.” How much oil? According to the Department of the Interior’s Mineral Management Service, 86 billion barrels of oil are locked in the Outer Continental Shelf, off the coasts of America. In recent weeks, the Bureau of Land Management stated that another 53 billion barrels are available on land.  That’s 139 billion barrels of oil at our disposal – more than Russia (60 billion barrels), more than Venezuela (80 billion barrels), more than Kuwait (101 billion barrels). But liberal politicians would rather ban its use and force our dependence on hostile regimes than spur a new wave of job growth and investment by tapping this vast national resource. Until we understand that energy security is economic security and national security, nothing is likely to change. You can read Mr. Jeffrey’s column online at
www.cnsnews.com.

That thing sounds evil.   >:(

Could cause a revolution.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2008, 07:26:10 AM »
Go Air Force...it's the easiest, safest, and offers the most amenities (without having the win the 'lottery'). 

Some people argue that Coast Guard is the cushiest military branch, but then a lot of other people don't even consider them 'real' military.

Depends on what u do in the Coast Guard. Cap I'd just go straight 0311 in the Marines. Do a 3 year hitch..2 tours in combat and then get out. Hit up ICE/Marshall or Border Patrol. No Intel BS or any of that..u won't do anything to help down the road because as an enlisted guy with a 3 year tour u won't do much. The Marines don't promise much anyway. See what bonues u can get and do ur GI bill for Grad School.
L