Author Topic: frank zane  (Read 32312 times)

JohnnyVegas

Re: frank zane
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2008, 10:31:13 PM »
.....I am a much bigger Robby fan but respect Zane immensely.....if memory serves me correctly Robby had the flu in '78 or'79 and was very watery as a result....fever, chills, sweats etc.....

me too, RR had such incredible shape/gentics.

I was lucky enough to see Robby guest pose at the 1989 LA Open, and his double bicep shot was the best I have ever seen in person, just unreal.

His entire upper body was unreal, the bench mark for BBing. His legs were small with no cuts, but overall an amazing build.

Moosejay

« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2008, 04:14:42 PM »
Well, Robby had big thighs, but the muscles, particularly around the areas of the knees, were underdeveloped...quads could have been better, Hamstrings big, calves moderately weak.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2008, 08:53:21 PM »
Well, Robby had big thighs, but the muscles, particularly around the areas of the knees, were underdeveloped...quads could have been better, Hamstrings big, calves moderately weak.

When I saw him in person his legs were pathetic, not big at all, maybe 25 inches if he was lucky.

Cannot say what they looked like before then, but in 89 they were awful.. But his upper body was unreal.

Another thing about that show-Arnold and Maria showed up with the kids! First time I eve saw him in person, Arnold spoke briefly...was filming a show then, Total Recall if I remember right???

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2008, 07:04:35 AM »
GOOD THREAD,i like all the positive zane talk,he was a great bber and represented his era's mr olympia well.robby was a freak for that time was haney like in seventies .

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2008, 08:18:49 PM »
GOOD THREAD,i like all the positive zane talk,he was a great bber and represented his era's mr olympia well.robby was a freak for that time was haney like in seventies .

Yes, Haney and Robby had similar builds........both had great backs, upper bodies.....Haney had a better chest (best in the business in the 80's) and Robby had better arms.... the best arms I have ever seen in person.

Love the old days.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2008, 07:11:36 AM »
Yes, Haney and Robby had similar builds........both had great backs, upper bodies.....Haney had a better chest (best in the business in the 80's) and Robby had better arms.... the best arms I have ever seen in person.

Love the old days.
I think when robby was winning shows in later 70's 76/80 arnold was not competing,they may have went head to head in mid 70's or trained together in same group?robby could have hung with arnold on some poses.when i flipped through my dads old mags then robby was literally scary looking,physique and looks.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2008, 04:21:29 PM »
I think when robby was winning shows in later 70's 76/80 arnold was not competing,they may have went head to head in mid 70's or trained together in same group?robby could have hung with arnold on some poses.when i flipped through my dads old mags then robby was literally scary looking,physique and looks.

Robby started competing in the IFBB in 1975, the year they filmed Pumping Iron, and of course Robby is in PI. The 1975 O was Arnold's last show-so the missed each other in head to head compeition.

The funny thing in PI is Ken Waller said he was more worried about Robby than Katz-and RR blows Ken Waller in the fucking weeds!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2008, 06:48:51 PM »
Robby started competing in the IFBB in 1975, the year they filmed Pumping Iron, and of course Robby is in PI. The 1975 O was Arnold's last show-so the missed each other in head to head compeition.

The funny thing in PI is Ken Waller said he was more worried about Robby than Katz-and RR blows Ken Waller in the fucking weeds!
i have to rewatch p.i. there is a lot going on...

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2008, 11:21:40 AM »
Robby was great....but I think his skin tone killed his career.

It's not that he was black...but he must be one of the blackest guys that ever competed.  I feel it destroyed (or hid) alot of his detail.

The Beef is still waiting for you to scan the page in Arnolds book where he said Mike should have beaten Zane.

The Beef

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2008, 07:18:19 PM »

Arnold did retire in 1975, but made a one show comeback in 1980 winning the mr. Olympia. Robbi switched over to the nabba federation after the 1979 Mr.Olympia and came back to the IFBB in 82/83

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2008, 11:34:40 AM »
Arnold did retire in 1975, but made a one show comeback in 1980 winning the mr. Olympia. Robbi switched over to the nabba federation after the 1979 Mr.Olympia and came back to the IFBB in 82/83

WOW-here is a fucking line up (Dave Johns was the THICKEST BBer I have ever seen in person-chest to back ratio was 2 feet deep)!

1981 Pro World Cup - WABBA

1   Sergio Oliva

2   Serge Nubret

3   Robby Robinson

4   Ahmet Enünlü

5   Dave Johns

6   Kalman Szkalak

7   Tony Pearson

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2008, 04:31:45 PM »
WOW-here is a fucking line up (Dave Johns was the THICKEST BBer I have ever seen in person-chest to back ratio was 2 feet deep)!

1981 Pro World Cup - WABBA

1   Sergio Oliva

2   Serge Nubret

3   Robby Robinson

4   Ahmet Enünlü

5   Dave Johns

6   Kalman Szkalak

7   Tony Pearson

i've got that mag. the photos were awesome. i'll scan a few pics.

Moosejay

« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2008, 09:30:34 PM »
Yes...that is an incredible lineup...top to bottom

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2008, 08:16:54 AM »
The Beef is still waiting for you to scan the page in Arnolds book where he said Mike should have beaten Zane.

The Beef

It says 'could' not 'have'