Author Topic: Clancy Ross - passed away  (Read 56305 times)

JasonH

• Getbig V
Re: Clancy Ross - passed away
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 02:09:40 PM »

4 Mr. America's: Alan Stephan, George Eiferman, Steve Reeves, Clarence Ross

Good photo.

Steve Reeves' clothing looks a bit strange though.

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 03:24:19 PM »
Good photo.

Steve Reeves' clothing looks a bit strange though.
Steve and Clancy both need to tuck their shirts in.
That photo makes me quiet and feel like I ate a butterfly. I think about these four guys who came from spending time in orphanages/boarding schools because of the Great Depression...all served in WWII...out of weakness came the strong...the pioneers...these guys are the beginning of the Iron Game.

Goldie made Steve's shirts because the ones at the store didn't fit. Here's one without shirts...Steve and Clancy.

The Coach

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 03:40:56 PM »

ANAL DISCHARGE

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 03:46:52 PM »
This is very sad.  Modern bodybuilders could take a leaf out of the books of Ross, Reeves et al. 

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 05:26:16 PM »
God Bless

PS. How many of todays champions will make it to 84 years of age?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 09:01:54 PM »
Clancy was a cool kat. Mom & Dad signed me up for a membership in 1980, at his Mr. America Club in Walnut Creek. He had plenty of good stories and always enjoyed joking around with the current (at that time) crop of bodybuilders and powerlifters. His gym was excellent and was the center of bodybuilding in the East Bay. It later became a Gold's Gym and is still an excellent place to train, from what I hear.
a

Luv_2build

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 11:12:05 AM »
was it steroids?
yeah, at 84 they finally caught up ::)

MadJimF

• Getbig II
  • Dynamic Tension
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 06:04:34 PM »
He will be missed, truly a great bodybuilder....

alejandro_torres

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 06:59:11 PM »
havent heard from him... but PIP

yeah... i dont see ronnie going to 84 years old...

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 08:14:09 PM »
84, a good run.

R.I.P
No doubt about it...

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2008, 01:40:19 AM »
A legend. I think he even beat Reeves once or twice.

RIP :(

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 06:05:41 AM »
great legend
R.I.P

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 09:45:59 AM »
I met Clancy back in the 70's. I was going up and down the west coast looking for gym equipment for a new business and ran into Clancy at some iron welding company over by the Oakland, California area. If I recall right he was involved with a company making various pully-type gym equipment somewhat similar to the Universal gear.

I walked into the warehouse and Clancy was sitting on a high stool with his leg in a cast resting on another stool. I asked him how he broke it and he said with a slight laugh.... "I fell off a bar-stool".

He gathered his crutches and showed me around the place and we talked about the "old days" and how things were swiftly changing (especially in the gym business).

Can anyone recall the name of that company that Clancy was involved with? Wasn't he also one of the principals in the short term American Health Studios of the 60's?

American Health Studios - another very interesting story about the world of bodybuilding from the days of yore.

RIP - Clancy!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 10:45:09 AM »
RIP was a good guy

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2008, 02:02:38 PM »
Always interesting stories, Stunt. Thanks for sharing.

Clancy was in the service until Nov. 1945. He then opened a gym in Alameda, CA. He worked with American Health Studios as manager of their West Coast Gyms.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 03:31:10 PM »
Always interesting stories, Stunt. Thanks for sharing.

Clancy was in the service until Nov. 1945. He then opened a gym in Alameda, CA. He worked with American Health Studios as manager of their West Coast Gyms.

If you look at the window in this pic, it says "Clarence Ross Physical Culture Studio".

Oakland was a hotbed for physical fitness in the 50's, 60s, 70's and even the 80's. Jack LaLanne did his top rated exercise TV show from Oakland (I still remember watching that show as a child). Norman Marks still has a major gym in Oakland to this day.

Mr. America Jack Dillinger used to run an exercise equipment store in Oakland, and Russ Warner had a studio/exercise equipment store in downtown Hayward (on A Street if I recall correctly).

The Olympia Gym (now Gold's) on Lake Merritt was probably the best equipped gym in the nation, even better than Gold's, in 1979, 80,81.

It was hopping back in the day in the Bay Area.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2008, 06:50:55 PM »
Thanks, Montana! I believe that it was Clancy who signed me up at the West Portal location in SF. Long time ago so it could have even been Alan Stephan. But I do know for a fact that Steve Reeves came into the Gold Gate Avenue AHS location before they closed up and watched me benching one afternoon. I simply said "hello"with the intention of talking with him after my workout, but he was gone before I finished.

Johnny Vegas, how do you know all this? !!! You are one of the mightly few that knows about Oakland and bodybuilding in the 50's and beyond and you are ENTIRELY CORRECT.

Are you also aware of Lake Tamescal in the Oakland Hills and Rio Nido on the Russian River? Those were two of the bodybuilding hot-spots back in the 40's and the 50's?  (I'll try to attach pictures of both spots at the end of this post.)

I knew all the guys you mentioned above  (plus one you failed to mention who visited Oakland in the days of Reeves by the name of Reg Park) and that brings back a lot of good memories.

Back then bodybuilding was UNKNOWN except for a handful of guys in the SF Bay Area. Jack Lalanne had a gym (around the 300 block of Market Street in the dumpy part of town back then), and Walt Baptiste and his wife had a gym on Van Ness Avenue in a similar slockie location mostly catering to Yoga enthusiasts, and most of the serious odd lifters and bodybuilders trained at the YMCA on Golden Gate Avenue or over in Oakland at Yarick's.

ANd to the best of my memory that was the extent of it in the early 50's until a SF Police Office by the name of Bill Stathis opened a very small gym out in the Sunset neighborhood on Judah Street and close to 39th avenue, and for the more fortunate - The Olympic Club in San Francisco.

(Being a bit specific, because it sounds like you might know of these individuals and places.)

I can only recall BB contests being held in the Golden Gate YMCA or over in some old place in Oakland with no more than 5 or 6 competitors. The following names come to mind but I could be completely off base here .... Mel Knoll, Curt Freeman, Curt Haywood, and a handfull of others who were not as well known as Clancy and Steve and Reg and Norm and Al and George; but were as equally impressive. They just never had the chance to run into the likes of Russ Warner and Arti Zeller; and Weider was a relatively unknown entity back then.

Lake Tamescal was one of the spots where Steve would go to catch the sun on occasions. I first met him there when I was a little kid. He tapped me on the head while he was coming out of the water and said something like, "Get big, kid!" I must have been around 5 or 6 at the time and had no idea who he was until years later when he became pretty well known in the Bay Area.

One of the local newspapers did an interview with his mom and I recall reading it and Mrs Reeves telling the writer that her son never had a cold or a cavity. That same weekend we saw Steve and a couple of his friends in Rio Nido where every kid in the Bay Area went on Summer weekends to swim during the day and hit the dancefloor and meet the ladies during the evenings. Dick Crest was the big time orchestra leader back then we danced to stuff like Harlem Nocturn and Jungle Boy. No Rock and Roll till later on when Rock Around the Clock got our attention and just about started it all.

Those were different times than we find today. Times of "innocence" might be the best description.

The few guys in school who lifted weights followed Steve's routine to the letter - Three to four sets of 8 to 10 reps, three times a week - if I recall rightly. Gains were slow but noticeable. Vitamin E oil and yogurt were the maine supplements. Protein powders were non-existent to the best of my recollection.

Damn! Didn't intned to carry on like this but those were the days that are worth remembering.

Thanks, Montana, Thanks, Johnny.

I bow my head to all those greats. 

I'll try to find a couple of those pictures now.......

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2008, 07:00:43 PM »
Pictures .... This first shot is Lake Tamescal. It used to be "outside" of Oakland city in what was once the countryside, but nowadays it's just about 20 yards from the freeway in the center of the Oakland civil population. I was just about five years old when I first met Steve Reeves who knew my dad and made it a point to tell me "Get big, kid!"

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2008, 07:04:23 PM »
Here's another shot of the Lake and beach ......

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2008, 07:12:10 PM »
Here's the only photo of Rio Nido that I can find at the moment. This is the road and the wooden bridge that led to what was the most popular beach in all of California outside of Muscle Beach in Santa Monica in the 50's.

Every kid and every bodybuilder who ever lived in the Bay Area during the 50's would be here on the weekends or regret if they wern't.

RIVA SAMACALE !!!!

We said it with pride and if you were there, you know what that means!

STEVE KNEW!

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2008, 07:31:15 PM »
Pictures .... This first shot is Lake Tamescal. It used to be "outside" of Oakland city in what was once the countryside, but nowadays it's just about 20 yards from the freeway in the center of the Oakland civil population. I was just about five years old when I first met Steve Reeves who knew my dad and made it a point to tell me "Get big, kid!"

Went to Lake Tamescal every summer as a kid.........right off the 24. Cool place.

Forgot to mention that Don Ross was the manager of Clancy's gym in Walnut Creek-or at least until Clancy fired him. At first I thought they were related, but they are not related ( I never really cared much for Don Ross). Don Ross then went to manage the Olympia gym on Lake Merritt when it first opened (in 1980 I think). The Olympia Gym was incredible-a Gold's for Nor Cal.

Monster81

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2008, 01:29:21 AM »
R.I.P  :(

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2008, 03:24:20 PM »
R.I.P.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2008, 03:28:13 PM »
Went to Lake Tamescal every summer as a kid.........right off the 24. Cool place.

Forgot to mention that Don Ross was the manager of Clancy's gym in Walnut Creek-or at least until Clancy fired him. At first I thought they were related, but they are not related ( I never really cared much for Don Ross). Don Ross then went to manage the Olympia gym on Lake Merritt when it first opened (in 1980 I think). The Olympia Gym was incredible-a Gold's for Nor Cal.

Why didn't you like him?

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2008, 05:35:29 PM »
RIP  :(
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO