Author Topic: arnold wasnt very strong was he and he didnt train very hard did he?  (Read 5847 times)

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: arnold wasnt very strong was he and he didnt train very hard did he?
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2008, 03:37:01 AM »
If you're not a powerlifter who gives a fuck about how much someone squats or benches?  Maxing out everytime you go to the gym is for insecure types,  the same ones who never make decent gains.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2008, 03:41:52 AM »
If you're not a powerlifter who gives a fuck about how much someone squats or benches?  Maxing out everytime you go to the gym is for insecure types,  the same ones who never make decent gains.

What about when people ask "what ya bench?" All those muscles don't mean shit if you can't reply with a big number!
E

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2008, 03:43:51 AM »
What about when people ask "what ya bench?" All those muscles don't mean shit if you can't reply with a big number!

then you tell them a big number?

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2008, 03:44:19 AM »
NOT as strong as Marvin Eder

pound for pound practically nobody is as strong as marvin eder.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2008, 03:46:40 AM »
then you tell them a big number?

Too risky, guys always are like "wanna catch a workout" and shit like that. They act like working out is like golf, something to do casually with friends. At any rate, strength first, muscles will come later, trust me on this Mars.
E

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2008, 03:49:10 AM »

People ask me this all the time at work and I just say to the "what do you think I bench?"  They usually give me a respectable figure and than I tell them I haven't done a bench press in 8 years.

Moosejay

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2008, 04:45:39 AM »
Arnold was strong as fuck in his early years ..Typical get big bullshit  ::)

When he came to the USA he thought you turn up big you win the show , but he learnt a lesson from a much more ripped frank zane who handed Arnold one of his last defeats..

He had enough mass when he arrived in the States so went about "refining" what he had all ready built..

He competed in powerlifting when he was younger and won comps So I doubt he was "weak"

He also used to wear out training partners , not cos he used to fuck there GFs  ;D but his mental drive was unmatched so he used to just burn them out.

I wouldnt use pumping iron as a tool to gauge how Arnold trained , most of that was all staged for the camera..

Arnold and the guys from that era also trained much harder than the guys do today..

Can you imagine the guys today trying to do 30 - 60 sets per bodypart 2 - 3 times a week?
It would kill them , alot of them now get out of breath just walking  :-\

All correct.

If you want to talk 'athletes'...Arnie et al, THEY were athletes.

the gus today, replete with sweating and panting upon incidental movement...they are not.

Moosejay

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2008, 04:48:40 AM »

BINGO.

Specially for many of the youths inhabiting this site.

Look good, tell people you are strong.

they won't know the difference, you will save yourself injury.

You will not be playing in the NFL.

Moosejay

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2008, 04:49:21 AM »

Because you are not enlightened.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2008, 05:03:15 AM »
Not sure if Franco was involved ,but yes have heard they used to load up the trunk of the VW with 20kg plates and head for the forest..Arnold said that he felt like a warrior ala Conan when he done this and chucking logic out the window in regards to training from time to time did wonders for his growth

lol....Arnold was the man.

Imagine being with him when he did this. Fuckin cool. 8)

Moosejay

« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2008, 05:04:40 AM »
Not sure if Franco was involved ,but yes have heard they used to load up the trunk of the VW with 20kg plates and head for the forest..Arnold said that he felt like a warrior ala Conan when he done this and chucking logic out the window in regards to training from time to time did wonders for his growth

WG...he did this while still in Austria...prior to meeting up with Franco in Germany...did it with his bros from Thal

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2008, 05:12:15 AM »
Sorry, you can't count 1980.

so you cant count some colemanīs olympias, about 2 of dorian...probably francoīs...and the list goes on...
!

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2008, 05:18:02 AM »

When youre 20 years old (still under age) and yet youre the biggest bb everywhere you go, why bother trainning heavy?

When he came over from Europe, He got beaten by zane who was over 50 pounds lighter than him!!!

WOOOSSSHHHHHHHHHH  !!!!

Moosejay

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2008, 05:19:55 AM »

When youre 20 years old (still under age) and yet youre the biggest bb everywhere you go, why bother trainning heavy?

When he came over from Europe, He got beaten by zane who was over 50 pounds lighter than him!!!

And the beat goes on.

WOOOSSSHHHHHHHHHH  !!!!

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2008, 05:50:43 AM »
WG...he did this while still in Austria...prior to meeting up with Franco in Germany...did it with his bros from Thal
Ahh yes Thanks MJ.
I read alot about Arnold from lots of sources growing up , he was and proberly still is my idol , though as you age other areas of your life become a priority.
But a man who started with nothing as a boy , came from an average family with no wealth to speak of, could not speak english but yet he became the best bodybuilder on the planet , one of the biggest payed box office stars of our lifetimes , a very successful businessman and now a Politician,The man is somthing special in my mind...

When I need a lift to train its pics and articles of and by Arnold that rev me up..I dont care for the guys of today..to me Arnolds charisma still is what drives my interest in bodybuilding and I look at the guys of that era as freaks still , the guys today are just walking sceince projects gone wrong..

MJ I know you got to see Robby as a teen did you ever rub shoulders with the great oak at all?

Moosejay

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2008, 06:02:43 AM »
WG...Arnold is likely the only guy I didn't interact with or ever even see.

And don't be surprised is physiques start to someday migrate back to the look of yesteryear...with current times being seen as a bleak ones for the state of bb

Bear

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2008, 06:05:45 AM »
His numbers were 675 deadlift, 405 bench, and 455 squat.

405 bench FOR 8! According to him anyway. So single it's hard to say. Singles are gay anyway.

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2008, 08:29:42 AM »
Poor Arnold

he didn't accomplish much in the bodybuilding world, after he retired what did he accomplish?  compare him to any beach bum, g4p, washed up no kidney mfer.  the simple fact is: the would not be bodybuilding if there was no Arnold.

hope this post didn't stop you from rubbing one off...

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2008, 10:12:21 AM »
Too risky, guys always are like "wanna catch a workout" and shit like that. They act like working out is like golf, something to do casually with friends. At any rate, strength first, muscles will come later, trust me on this Mars.
comming from a mass monster like you must be true ;D you need form 1st then as you move up in weight you do it right so you avoid injury, muscle can grow even with medium weight. some people are naturally strong, 
p

Moosejay

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2008, 10:13:33 AM »
Poor Arnold

he didn't accomplish much in the bodybuilding world, after he retired what did he accomplish?  compare him to any beach bum, g4p, washed up no kidney mfer.  the simple fact is: the would not be bodybuilding if there was no Arnold.

hope this post didn't stop you from rubbing one off...

Iron Man was f---ing awesome.

More accurate and true to the comic than even spiderman was

Moosejay

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2008, 10:14:36 AM »
comming from a mass monster like you must be true ;D you need form 1st then as you move up in weight you do it right so you avoid injury, muscle can grow even with medium weight. some people are naturally strong, 

True.

there are dudes baling hay on farms throughout the country who have never touched a weight and could likely pull a trophy in a show

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2008, 10:18:09 AM »
I liked zanes physique. I wonder what kind of lifts he was making back in the day.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2008, 10:20:27 AM »
sounds to me arnold wasnt very strong
Z

Moosejay

« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2008, 10:22:03 AM »
I liked zanes physique. I wonder what kind of lifts he was making back in the day.

Strong on legs early on...marginal on all else for his career...there was a point where he went overboard with the weight poundages to play the size game...but could not avoid injuries so abandoned this ploy

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2008, 10:34:46 AM »
sounds to me arnold wasnt very strong

With a max bench around 400 that's pretty solid in fact, that's definitely strong if not exceptional. There's no value to have gone higher just to satisfy a bluto's opinion. Some of the knuckleheads here don't get that while they can bench around the same thing that was done 30 years ago and the idea was development, not ego or numbers. Really no reason to have to be one of the strongest BBs around other than ego and the fact that some guys are just naturally stronger.

What i'm more interested in is whether he trained hard, which is hard to substantiate despite the many urban legends he and others propogate about him.