Author Topic: Is this a good or a bad thing?  (Read 1845 times)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Is this a good or a bad thing?
« on: May 19, 2008, 08:56:14 AM »
Ok, so it's good to get kids involved in sports etc, but what's the limit? In general, should weights be started in adolescence? Earlier? Later?

This video: Apparently the kid is six and the bar weighs 55kg

Specific to this video, should this guy be letting his little cousin lift this? Especially considering poor form etc Then there's the argument that some parents try to live through their kids.

I don't know too much about age and lifting etc, but I do think that if people are going to get kids involved they need to be taught properly. What's your opinion?

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Re: Is this a good or a bad thing?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 08:57:16 AM »
This kid has better technique:

:D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 11:27:51 AM »
Kids can abuse themselves and come away from it just fine. My cousin and little sister will mess with all my weights and stuff when they come over too. They like to see who can lift the 48kg kettle bell more times. They're 9.

I like to make them flip a spare tire and pick up a 100lb stone too! :D

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 12:00:22 PM »
Kids can abuse themselves and come away from it just fine. My cousin and little sister will mess with all my weights and stuff when they come over too. They like to see who can lift the 48kg kettle bell more times. They're 9.

I like to make them flip a spare tire and pick up a 100lb stone too! :D

lol. Sweet. Kids adapt so quickly. Like, have you ever heard about putting young baby in a swimming pool so it learns to swim naturally? Apparently it just comes second nature to them, but if you leave it til they're older they need taught. My theory on that is, fuck it, my kids are going in head first when they are a few weeks old. Should save me teaching them! lol

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 02:51:59 PM »
lol. Sweet. Kids adapt so quickly. Like, have you ever heard about putting young baby in a swimming pool so it learns to swim naturally? Apparently it just comes second nature to them, but if you leave it til they're older they need taught. My theory on that is, fuck it, my kids are going in head first when they are a few weeks old. Should save me teaching them! lol

Thats a bit unsettling!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »
Thats a bit unsettling!

Screw it, if they start spluttering you can haul them out. lol