Author Topic: Close grip bench press  (Read 1597 times)

Bruffy

• Getbig II
  • If it's not metal, it's crap!
Close grip bench press
« on: May 21, 2008, 09:29:43 PM »
Do you find that your close grip bench press is right up there with your flat bench press?  My current flat bench is 320lbs and my close grip bench is 250lbs for a difference of 70lbs.  Should your flat bench press be marginally higher than your close grip bench press?  BTW, I incorporated JM presses into my triceps routine and they are a bitch.
I

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Close grip bench press
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 10:51:56 PM »
i just hit 370 on flat and i've close-gripped 335. i can hit 315x6 normal grip and 315x3 close. i think PLs tend to bench with more triceps since moving weight is the goal, while BBs stick with chest activation so the discrepancy is bigger.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 11:14:31 PM »
i just hit 370 on flat and i've close-gripped 335. i can hit 315x6 normal grip and 315x3 close. i think PLs tend to bench with more triceps since moving weight is the goal, while BBs stick with chest activation so the discrepancy is bigger.

it also depends on how you are defining a "closegrip" bench press.   I do closegrip with my pinkies on the knurling of the bar.  Any closer kills my shoulders.  I also closegrip bench about 80-83% of my RAW flat bench.  One thing I've noticed is the more board work I do raw, the higher my close grip goes  (like you mentioned, its a triceps issue). 

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 07:15:22 AM »
it also depends on how you are defining a "closegrip" bench press.   I do closegrip with my pinkies on the knurling of the bar.  Any closer kills my shoulders.  I also closegrip bench about 80-83% of my RAW flat bench.  One thing I've noticed is the more board work I do raw, the higher my close grip goes  (like you mentioned, its a triceps issue). 

because before i got onto this ALN bench program i played with different grip positions alot to develop EVERYTHING, My close grip is about 10-15lbs off my 1rm! Close grip to me is shoulder width.. about as narrow as I can go  without putting my wrists at awkward angles while keeping my elbows tucked in tight to my body. I can hammer out 315 for 10 reps or so doing them this way. Depending on how you bench, your close grip can be very close or very far from your comp bench.