Author Topic: Bob Paris destroying Labrada and Gaspari  (Read 10140 times)

lvtolft

• Getbig III
Re: Bob Paris destroying Labrada and Gaspari
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 04:31:43 AM »
It's hard to tell from one pic, but judging from this one, he is clearing the best one on stage.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 07:53:20 AM »
Paris was one of the few faithful body builders to the IFBB and the Weider empire during all the ups and downs but once he came out of the closet and married his gay lover it was all over for him.
I think being openly gay especially during that time had a lot to do with his bad placings.
In the 1980s the 2 guys I wanted to look like..... Bob Paris and Lee Labrada.

I just finished reading Paris's book "The Gorilla Suit" and he said his lower placings as a pro had to do with his  reluctance to take higher doses of steroids and growth hormone. He said the judges wanted a freakier physique and he actually cut back the amount of drugs he was taking for the 1995 Olympia instead of taking more. He didn't come out of the closet until a 1989 IronMan Magazine interview but, he says, everyone in the industry knew he was gay since he turned pro in 1983.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 07:56:27 AM »
This is the first time I've seen this pic, not sure when it's from, but Paris really dwarfs these two guys here, yet I'm not even sure he ever placed ahead of either one of them. 

Seems like Paris is closer to the camera...his forearms are a ahead of Lee and the other guy who is cut out of the picture. Paris almost looks as big a Haney, which he he never was... 

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 07:57:20 AM »
I just finished reading Paris's book "The Gorilla Suit" and he said his lower placings as a pro had to do with his  reluctance to take higher doses of steroids and growth hormone. He said the judges wanted a freakier physique and he actually cut back the amount of drugs he was taking for the 1995 Olympia instead of taking more. He didn't come out of the closet until a 1989 IronMan Magazine interview but, he says, everyone in the industry knew he was gay since he turned pro in 1983.

I read that book too John great read , they judges constantly told him he needed to be bigger and whats funny is he was one of the heavier pros in 88 he was 226 pounds but at 6'0" thats a large frame his story about first taking GH was funny but its ironic because he talks about the reaction of everyday people to his size ( the story at the icecream place ) and re was regarded as not big enough to be the best

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 08:02:57 AM »

I think you mean the 1985 Olympia, not 1995.

That is a fantastic book, but I almost disagree with Bob about him needing to take more or be bigger.  Maybe for the Olympia against Haney, but not against the likes of Labrada, Gaspari, Demey, etc., in smaller contests.  I'd say he held his own size-wise against those guys.  I think it might have been more about him being gay.

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2008, 08:42:15 AM »
It's hard to tell from one pic, but judging from this one, he is clearing the best one on stage.

True, It'll be cool if more picts are posted from that show....

Those were the days when BB was marketable.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 09:01:27 AM »
I think you mean the 1985 Olympia, not 1995.

That is a fantastic book, but I almost disagree with Bob about him needing to take more or be bigger.  Maybe for the Olympia against Haney, but not against the likes of Labrada, Gaspari, Demey, etc., in smaller contests.  I'd say he held his own size-wise against those guys.  I think it might have been more about him being gay.

Yes, Condor, my mistake, I meant to say 1985. In that contest, if you remember, Gaspari was the big, freaky guy weighing about 215 ripped and vascular with shredded glutes and Haney was pretty freaky himself, weighing close to 250 ripped and vascular also. Then you had Albert Beckles, Mike Christian and Berry DeMey and they were all big and ripped so Paris, in comparison, didn't have enough mass and wasn't freaky and ripped like the top six. In 1988, where that picture is from, Gaspari was smaller because he was trying to lean out and keep his waist down instead of trying to compete with Haney for size and Labrada was never that huge, only about 176 there.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 09:17:53 AM »
what's up with these types of posts ???

Arce's trademark.
Q

Oki_Rej

• Getbig II
  • "I didn't work this hard to stay where I belong"
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2008, 02:46:43 PM »
maybe not the best pic but nonetheless three damn good bodybuilders  8)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2008, 03:17:30 PM »
Outstanding physique

that is a great pic

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2008, 08:21:42 PM »
Yes, Condor, my mistake, I meant to say 1985. In that contest, if you remember, Gaspari was the big, freaky guy weighing about 215 ripped and vascular with shredded glutes and Haney was pretty freaky himself, weighing close to 250 ripped and vascular also. Then you had Albert Beckles, Mike Christian and Berry DeMey and they were all big and ripped so Paris, in comparison, didn't have enough mass and wasn't freaky and ripped like the top six. In 1988, where that picture is from, Gaspari was smaller because he was trying to lean out and keep his waist down instead of trying to compete with Haney for size and Labrada was never that huge, only about 176 there.
ggod post,beckles was ok great arms peaked good condition was older by then paris could easily outshape him,christians upper body was probably the only one that stood a chance against haney then.demey was great one of the guys then who's build i liked ,i think paris was bigger muscular wise to berry,berry's conditioning especially 88 was off the charts.paris is a magazines dream for selling copies any relaxed shot or cover shot was gold,training pics did him no justice,stage or cover is where he was gold.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2008, 09:34:58 PM »
i didnt know he was in the O in 95. does anyone have a pic?

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 02:00:23 AM »
I read that book too John great read , they judges constantly told him he needed to be bigger and whats funny is he was one of the heavier pros in 88 he was 226 pounds but at 6'0" thats a large frame his story about first taking GH was funny but its ironic because he talks about the reaction of everyday people to his size ( the story at the icecream place ) and re was regarded as not big enough to be the best

He was actually up to 248 pounds in 1984, but for some reason lost the weight. Take into account he had been successful as a light heavyweight (198 pounds) before making a real name for himself.

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2008, 06:13:48 AM »
i didnt know he was in the O in 95. does anyone have a pic?

No, the guy meant '85, not '95.  Paris has been retired for a few years by then.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2008, 03:39:05 PM »

Labrada was competing in his 190's by the early 90's.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2008, 03:46:17 PM »
Labrada was competing in his 190's by the early 90's.

Right, but that picture was from 1988 and he weighed in at 176 at the '88 Olympia.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2008, 06:12:10 PM »

Everyone in Venice/LA knew Paris was gay before he won Nationals.

In fact right after Paris won the Natinals in 83 he did a lot of guest posing, and when the posters for local shows were put up at Gold's Venice, with Bob as guest poser with a pic, everyone would write FAG across Paris's picture. Pretty stupid shit-but that was the mentality back then.

jason armstrong

• Getbig IV
  • Riverview Trailer Park St Louis MO
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2008, 06:13:15 PM »
From this pose he looks way superior.......so why did he never place ahead of them?

because he was gay.

seriously.

i read his book.

joe weider brutalized him...

jason armstrong

• Getbig IV
  • Riverview Trailer Park St Louis MO
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »
because he was gay.

seriously.

i read his book.

joe weider brutalized him...
also i found it interesting he was as with other pros scarfing and saving pennies to buy like .5 iu;s of Gh from docs back in the early 80's.
guys didn't know how lucky they had it back then with steroids still being half way legal and all dbol etc real human grade stuff potent pure and roll...

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2008, 06:25:59 PM »
also i found it interesting he was as with other pros scarfing and saving pennies to buy like .5 iu;s of Gh from docs back in the early 80's.
guys didn't know how lucky they had it back then with steroids still being half way legal and all dbol etc real human grade stuff potent pure and roll...

You got that shit right.

We can thank Dan Duchaine and 2 other guys for starting the counterfeit steroid revolution in 84/85. Fucking assholes.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2008, 11:50:44 PM »
Right, but that picture was from 1988 and he weighed in at 176 at the '88 Olympia.

Agreed