Author Topic: Cardio Thread  (Read 7408 times)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: Cardio Thread
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 04:03:52 AM »
I do a half hour a day, eliptical like the one Rip posted a pic of.  I will do the same amount while a fat ass or getting ready for a show.  I dont really mind it much, but will say an hour would be trying.  I usually listen to my I pod and while getting ready for a comp will use cardio time to pick out and listen to posing music and just generally psyhc up for the show.  My gym has TV on every piece of cardio equipment and all over the gym, I really dont like all the media overload, but will sometimes listen to the news, but mostly will just turn off the TV.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 04:16:23 AM »
I do a half hour a day, eliptical like the one Rip posted a pic of.  I will do the same amount while a fat ass or getting ready for a show.  I dont really mind it much, but will say an hour would be trying.  I usually listen to my I pod and while getting ready for a comp will use cardio time to pick out and listen to posing music and just generally psyhc up for the show.  My gym has TV on every piece of cardio equipment and all over the gym, I really dont like all the media overload, but will sometimes listen to the news, but mostly will just turn off the TV.

I have a set up downstairs with an elliptical, a recumbant bike, and a spin bike, with one TV.  In the mornings, I roll out of bed and go downstairs, open the window, put the news on, and then half-watch the news.  I'd probably be better off doing more cardio in the off-season like you do, and you'd think that I wouldn't have any excuses with the equipment at home, but I manage to find plenty of them.   :D

:)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 09:36:25 AM »
Am I the only person who loves the rowing machine?  I really do love these machines, I think they are fantastic for cardio and one of the few ways to get some good upper body work in while doing cardio. 

These machines take some getting used to, or working up to.  I hadn't spent any time on one in more than a year, and I got on one the other day after finishing a bicep workout, and I lasted 8 minutes before I thought I was going to die!   :D

Indoor rowing primarily works the cardiovasular systems with typical workouts consisting of steady pieces of 20-40 minutes. Like other forms of cardio focused exercise, interval training is also commonly used in indoor rowing. While cardio focused, rowing also stresses many muscle groups throughout the body anaerobically, thus rowing is often referred to as a strength-endurance sport.

Unlike high impact exercises, which can damage knees and the connective tissues of the lower body, rowing's most common injury site is the lower back. Proper technique is a necessity for staying injury free, with a focus on both mechanics and breathing, as correct rhythm, exhaling on the drive and inhaling on the recovery, is a stabilizing force for the upper body. Non-rowers commonly overemphasize the muscles of the upper body, while correct technique uses the large muscle of the thighs to drive much of the stroke. Also, good technique requires that the angle of the upper body is never too far forward, nor too far back, both of which jeopardize the lower back and compression injuries on the knees and hip flexor muscles.

In addition to the high levels of fitness attained, rowing is an intense calorie-burning exercise. Although rowers with less ability and training will burn fewer calories, the ergometer is an excellent tool for use in a weight-loss program.

The standard measurement of speed on an ergometer is generally known as the "split," or the amount of time in minutes and seconds required to travel 500 meters at the current pace. For example, a 2:00 split would correspond to a 2:00 time for a 500 meter race, or an 8:00 time for a 2 kilometer race. The split does not necessarily correspond to how many strokes the rower takes (the "rating") since strokes can vary in power.

bthomas77

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 07:48:33 PM »
i walk for 30 min 5 days a week...

oh and rip...there are some nuts at my gym who are fiendish over rowing machines....they like stand there and pace is there isnt one open....its kinda distracting actually...oh well.....

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 07:33:16 AM »
i walk for 30 min 5 days a week...

oh and rip...there are some nuts at my gym who are fiendish over rowing machines....they like stand there and pace is there isnt one open....its kinda distracting actually...oh well.....

hahaha I know what you mean.  A trainer I worked with a few years ago was OBSESSED with his rowing machine.  He competed in machine rowing (it is a competitive sport!), and when in training, he used to drag his machine outside and row on the sidewalk at 6 AM every day.