Author Topic: Dana White debunks "big news" rumors on CNBC  (Read 1850 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
Dana White debunks "big news" rumors on CNBC
« on: June 10, 2008, 02:09:47 PM »

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jun 10, 2008 at 1:05 pm ET

UFC president Dana White and UFC heavyweight Brock Lesnar's appearance on today's CNBC "Power Lunch" program was to announce a deal with toy maker Jakks Pacific Inc.

The UFC and Jakks signed a four-year license agreement to develop a line of collector-focused UFC action figures and accessories.

However, while on the show, White also debunked a rash of recent rumors regarding the organization's future.

Debunked rumors included the possibility of boxer Floyd Mayweather joining the organization; World Wrestling Entertainment partnering with the UFC in any capacity (including ownership and merchandising); the UFC appearing on FOX, ABC or another network; and the UFC possibly going public. White said none of them were true.

Instead, the focus was on the dolls. Or, "action figures" as White said.

JAKKS, which launched in 1995, is known for designing, developing, producing and marketing toys, leisure products and writing instruments. World Wrestling Entertainment is one of the company's strategic partners.

"We just closed a deal with Jakks," White said. "They'll be available [for] Christmas. ... There's an octagon and accessories and all kinds of stuff."

In addition to the Jakks deal, UFC.com today released news about other merchandising deals recently signed by the UFC.

It looks like the "big news" will afterall be the inside scoop I got: Spider vs Iceman in LHWY division....
w

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: Dana White debunks "big news" rumors on CNBC
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jun 10, 2008 at 1:05 pm ET

UFC president Dana White and UFC heavyweight Brock Lesnar's appearance on today's CNBC "Power Lunch" program was to announce a deal with toy maker Jakks Pacific Inc.

The UFC and Jakks signed a four-year license agreement to develop a line of collector-focused UFC action figures and accessories.

However, while on the show, White also debunked a rash of recent rumors regarding the organization's future.

Debunked rumors included the possibility of boxer Floyd Mayweather joining the organization; World Wrestling Entertainment partnering with the UFC in any capacity (including ownership and merchandising); the UFC appearing on FOX, ABC or another network; and the UFC possibly going public. White said none of them were true.

Instead, the focus was on the dolls. Or, "action figures" as White said.

JAKKS, which launched in 1995, is known for designing, developing, producing and marketing toys, leisure products and writing instruments. World Wrestling Entertainment is one of the company's strategic partners.

"We just closed a deal with Jakks," White said. "They'll be available [for] Christmas. ... There's an octagon and accessories and all kinds of stuff."

In addition to the Jakks deal, UFC.com today released news about other merchandising deals recently signed by the UFC.

It looks like the "big news" will afterall be the inside scoop I got: Spider vs Iceman in LHWY division....

so who was that idiot with the "inside info" you quoted that said Mayweather was gonna be signed ?

it's the internet dude...if it looks like bullshit and it smells like bullshit................ .it's probably bullshit !

you can thank me for giving you one of lifes precious lessons later..............prefe rably with money or arbys coupons

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 03:31:30 PM »
so who was that idiot with the "inside info" you quoted that said Mayweather was gonna be signed ?

it's the internet dude...if it looks like bullshit and it smells like bullshit................ .it's probably bullshit !

you can thank me for giving you one of lifes precious lessons later..............prefe rably with money or arbys coupons

The inside scoop I got was that Liddel would be fighting Anderson.  I got that from someone who works in the UFC, not the internet.  I quoted that guy because along with saying that PBF might be signed, he also said that Liddell would be fighting Silvia.  I never actually believed that PBF rumor, because my UFC source didn't know anything about it...

Who knows what the big announcement will be.  Maybe Randy is back and he's fighting Hulk Hogan :P
w

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 02:36:08 PM »
Hahaha, my "inside source."  ::)

Aka at 45 I read more MMA sites than you. 

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 03:02:26 PM »
Hahaha, my "inside source."  ::)

Aka at 45 I read more MMA sites than you. 

find anything on any site that even alludes to a chuck/anderson fight that was posted b4 my post, and you'll have owned me.
w

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 03:08:41 PM »
Hahaha, "inside source." I shouldn't be surprised. The only people that suck as much UFC dick as you are on the UFC payroll.

Why is the Affliction card better than anything the UFC has put on in 1+ years? The DREAM LWGP cards were better as well. :D

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 03:21:12 PM »
Hahaha, "inside source." I shouldn't be surprised. The only people that suck as much UFC dick as you are on the UFC payroll.

Why is the Affliction card better than anything the UFC has put on in 1+ years? The DREAM LWGP cards were better as well. :D

The Affliction card is filled with ex UFC fighters: Vitor, Tim, Arlovski, Buentelo, Renato, Martin, etc.  And, the main event is yet another easy fight for Fedor.  They should have put him against Barnett.  That said, it should make for a decent card, which I plan on watching.  Keep in mind this is just their 1st card.  They are going to have to attract a lot more talent to put on regular & exciting events. 

As painful as it may be for you, the UFC is still the top dog and not going anywhere...
w

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 03:23:09 PM »
The Affliction card is filled with ex UFC fighters: Vitor, Tim, Arlovski, Buentelo, Renato, Martin, etc.  And, the main event is yet another easy fight for Fedor.  They should have put him against Barnett.  That said, it should make for a decent card, which I plan on watching.  Keep in mind this is just their 1st card.  They are going to have to attract a lot more talent to put on regular & exciting events. 

As painful as it may be for you, the UFC is still the top dog and not going anywhere...

They're Affliction fighters now. Not UFC fighters. Isn't that how you would put it?

Calm down tiger, the only reason I hate the UFC is because of Dana White and their penchant for underpaying any fighter not named Chuck Liddell and the fact that their fighters and fights just aren't very good right now.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 03:27:06 PM »
They're Affliction fighters now. Not UFC fighters. Isn't that how you would put it?

Calm down tiger, the only reason I hate the UFC is because of Dana White and their penchant for underpaying any fighter not named Chuck Liddell and the fact that their fighters and fights just aren't very good right now.

That's why I said "ex" UFC fighters. 

I'm all for fighters making more money and it has gotten better.  I think it has a long way to go and the increasing competition is definitely helping.  But, if we end up with 4-5 organizations, we'll never have undisputed title holders...same shit that happened to boxing. That would suck... 
w

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 03:30:37 PM »

I'm all for fighters making more money and it has gotten better.  I think it has a long way to go and the increasing competition is definitely helping.  But, if we end up with 4-5 organizations, we'll never have undisputed title holders...same shit that happened to boxing. That would suck... 

See, I'm torn on this. I see competition as a good thing because if it was only the UFC around, they would be able to dictate the payments and most fighters would make shit. Also, a lot of fighters would go unsigned. Hell, a lot of good fighters haven't done shit since Pride died. I haven't heard of Arona and a few other guys in a while. But too many organizations lead to the problems you're talking about. Lot of good and bad things about each side.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 04:16:32 PM »

I agree. One organization gives us the best chance to see the top in the sport face each other. I don't give two shits about how much fighters make, to be honest. None of that money is going into my pocket.
!

Nicrah

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 03:53:30 PM »
Well Thursday has come and pssed, so what exactly was the "big" announcment?

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 02:00:12 PM »
Well Thursday has come and pssed, so what exactly was the "big" announcment?

it was pushed to Tuesday ::)
w

J-boy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Team Alex23 4 life!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 06:08:51 PM »
Who is this berzerk kid?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,every time i check out this lame mma board,,,,,,, he's pwning the shit out of this mindspin wannabe mma fighter.