Author Topic: EU to lift sanctions on Cuba  (Read 825 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
EU to lift sanctions on Cuba
« on: June 19, 2008, 05:03:32 PM »
BRUSSELS (AP) — The European Union on Thursday agreed to lift its diplomatic sanctions against Cuba but imposed tough conditions on the Communist island to maintain sanction-free relations, officials said.
EU External Relations Commissioner Benita Ferrero-Waldner said the bloc felt it had to encourage changes in Cuba after Raul Castro took over as the head of the country's government from his ailing brother Fidel.

"There will be very clear language also on what the Cubans still have to do ... releasing prisoners, really working on human rights questions," she told reporters at an EU summit. "There will be a sort of review to see whether indeed something will have happened."

The measures were imposed in 2003 and were suspended in 2005. Some EU nations — including the Czech Republic and Sweden — were reluctant to lift the diplomatic sanctions entirely during this week's two-day summit, saying they wanted to see Cuba improve human rights first.

Washington imposed a trade blockade of Cuba almost 50 years ago and has no immediate plans to lift it.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Internet | Spain | Sweden | Czech Republic | Cubans | Communist | Raul Castro | Fidel
EU foreign ministers at the summit approved a set of conditions to be imposed on Castro's regime in return for sanction-free relations.

They include the release of all political prisoners; access for Cubans to the Internet; and a double-track approach for all EU delegations arriving in Cuba, allowing them to meet both opposition figures and members of the Cuban government.

The EU will evaluate Cuba's progress in a year's time and could take new measures if human rights do not improve, officials said.

The EU sanctions were introduced after Cuba's government rounded up 75 dissidents in 2003. Sixteen of those arrested have been released on medical parole and another four were freed last month into forced exile in Spain. But 55 of them are still serving long prison sentences.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-06-19-cuba_N.htm?csp=34

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: EU to lift sanctions on Cuba
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 05:56:42 PM »
WTF.

Appeasers.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 06:03:02 PM »
WTF.

Appeasers.

?

Trade is a good thing 240.
I hate the State.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 07:38:20 PM »
LOL... i know, man.  I'm making fun of neotaints

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 01:57:10 AM »
Good for the EU. They seem to be on roll doing the right things by this region lately. Raul has made some huge differences, despite him having Fidel hanging on his back. Many things that were barred have been lifted, the biggie travel set to go, and just from personal experience Cuba feels a lot different now. I'm pleased to see this EU make this gesture, even though it is more just symbolic really.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 02:10:15 AM »
Well personally I'm pissed at both Castro and Cuba right now!  >:(

I called one of my local distributors in my neighbourhood this afternoon, and he was packing his suitcases to catch a plane down to Cuba in a few hours. What nerve! Imagine that guy had decided to whisk his girlfriend away on the spur of the moment, for a few weeks of fun, sun, and sandy beaches?! He had a choice between sex on the beach, ...or working, ...and he went for the SEX!!  :o  What was he thinking? Damn you Castro!  ...you manipulator of men!  >:(
w