Author Topic: Ending the cardio debate  (Read 17473 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Ending the cardio debate
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »
moose, seeing as many here can learn from you.

heart defect is in your family.
you were a bodybuilder for 20+ years
you used steroids for (5-10?) years?

What would you do differently?

The Coach

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 10:18:06 AM »
Coach - What is your opinion on low intensity cardio for fat loss?  When dieting I will do 30-45min walking first thing in the morning on an empty stomach or after a workout when ive used about all of my carbs up.  This has always gotten me very lean easily.

This is the problem with low intensity cardio. It will only work for a short time. As you get in better shape it gets easier and eventually you hit a plateau to where you stop burning the fat. So whats the alternative? You either go further or you go FASTER. More on this later, work awaits ;D

Question: Isn't it smarter to do your cardio with more in intensity in less time (30min max) and have your metabolism burining an extra 15-20% more AFTER you are done for up to about 24hrs tham to just do your 1-2 hrs per day at the same pace and generally not burining anything after?

Train smarter AND harder :D

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 10:18:37 AM »
I do heed them.

I think lifting has deleterious effects on SOME, not all. I don't think it is the rule.

I have congenital heart problems in my family.

True...doesn't have to be "deleterious" in all, but it does effect all.  These effects can even been deemed as someone having an "athlete's heart" or having an "innocent murmer"
just not good enough

Moosejay

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 10:21:45 AM »
Mike, I think you took that wrong, I know you were not trying to impress. I'm just saying I don't have the knowledge to give that type of advice to supercede experts at Yale and Harvard.

No, Coach, I knew your stance, it was cool. Thanks Joe!

Moosejay

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 10:26:37 AM »
moose, seeing as many here can learn from you.

heart defect is in your family.
you were a bodybuilder for 20+ years
you used steroids for (5-10?) years?

What would you do differently?

Great question.

My grandfather succumjbed to heart attack in his late 40's (did not tgake care of himself, tho...cigs, ETOH, etc.)

My father, although healthy now, has had stents put in; colon cancer; prostate cancer; brain tumer; diabetes.

Competed from 16 to 40

Cycled from 18 to 26 (I'd say a solid 7 years, and kept records)

Hmmm...what5 would I do different?

Honestly, I think I would really, really try to cut down on stress.

I am not advocating my steroid use, but, I am also happy with my experiences in bb. Probably did not HELP my general health, anyhow.

But the stress.....nine years of intense programs in college.....undergoing soon my 20th orthopedic surgery, and running businesses I think has taken the greatest tolls on my health.

I'd suggest people treat themselves better than they do, is all.

The paradox , for me, as a man who trainjed and ate well for so many years...I think I have done myself in, somewhat, with unfettered, unabated stress.

Mike

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 10:28:52 AM »
This is the problem with low intensity cardio. It will only work for a short time. As you get in better shape it gets easier and eventually you hit a plateau to where you stop burning the fat. So whats the alternative? You either go further or you go FASTER. More on this later, work awaits ;D

Question: Isn't it smarter to do your cardio with more in intensity in less time (30min max) and have your metabolism burining an extra 15-20% more AFTER you are done for up to about 24hrs tham to just do your 1-2 hrs per day at the same pace and generally not burining anything after?

Train smarter AND harder :D

;)
just not good enough

Moosejay

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 10:31:16 AM »
;)

I agree with the bold statement there, Coach, but, as I have said, in MY case, because my hands are tied with limits to what I can do...I do HOURS of cardio...sitting on the recumbant like a zombie :P

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 10:32:57 AM »
I agree with the bold statement there, Coach, but, as I have said, in MY case, because my hands are tied with limits to what I can do...I do HOURS of cardio...sitting on the recumbant like a zombie :P

Moose, you're doing cardio more for health right, not fat loss?
just not good enough

Moosejay

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 10:53:32 AM »
Moose, you're doing cardio more for health right, not fat loss?

absolutely....although I have dropped although I have dropped about 25 in the past 6 weeks....surgical purposes

mike

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 10:56:48 AM »
Vince Gironda said the same thing 35 years ago. He talked about the muscular physiques or sprinters verses long distance runners. Many of his workouts were based on short rest periods (15 to 30 second rest periods) for weight training to duplicate the process.  

Phil Campbell's book “Ready, Set, GO” outlines his "Sprint 8 workout" based on this same concept. http://www.readysetgofitness.com/

While John Berardi’s article is scientifically sound and very informative, there's nothing new or innovative about what he’s saying.

It's like the guys writing books on low carb diets 35 years after they came out.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
and keep moving!

Moosejay

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 11:00:52 AM »
Vince Gironda said the same thing 35 years ago. He talked about the muscular physiques or sprinters verses long distance runners. Many of his workouts were based on short rest periods (15 to 30 second rest periods) for weight training to duplicate the process.  

Phil Campbell's book “Ready, Set, GO” outlines his "Sprint 8 workout" based on this same concept. http://www.readysetgofitness.com/

While John Berardi’s article is scientifically sound and very informative, there's nothing new or innovative about what he’s saying.

It's like the guys writing books on low carb diets 35 years after they came out.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Yes. Evolutionarily speaking, the human body changes and adapts very, very slowly.

RagingBull

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 11:01:26 AM »
Thanks...great post.

The Coach

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 11:01:57 AM »

It's like the guys writing books on low carb diets 35 years after they came out. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I would have to agree with this.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 11:03:16 AM »
Good info around here
 ;)
S

Moosejay

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 11:26:42 AM »
Coach is a man of deep knowledge...it is good to have him here.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 11:31:04 AM »
Damn, this sucks Moosejay.  :-\

Moosejay

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 11:32:25 AM »
Damn, this sucks Moosejay.  :-\

Yes, Debussey, it does.

I don't think it has sunk in for me yet.

Life is predicated by chnage.

However, I am hopeful that prudence will see me through. There may be a solution yet!

Mike

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 11:36:10 AM »
Yes, Debussey, it does.

I don't think it has sunk in for me yet.

Life is predicated by chnage.

However, I am hopeful that prudence will see me through. There may be a solution yet!

Mike

In time, science might offer some alternatives that can help you out.

Anyway, with about your fathers and grandfathers health problems and the stress you've put your body through in mind, not being able to train weights is a small price to pay compared to what could have happened to your health. A lot of people have it worse, and you still have the opportunity to live a vital life with a cure down the road :)

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 11:41:48 AM »
Have you ever noticed the ultra-lean, heavily muscled physiques of sprint type athletes (100m runners, running backs, speed skaters)
All drugs.

Hope this helps fuckwit.

Brutal 14 inch guns.

Moosejay

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 11:47:36 AM »

In time, science might offer some alternatives that can help you out.

Anyway, with about your fathers and grandfathers health problems and the stress you've put your body through in mind, not being able to train weights is a small price to pay compared to what could have happened to your health. A lot of people have it worse, and you still have the opportunity to live a vital life with a cure down the road :)

Absolutely true.

I am already thinking in terms of perhaps switching to long distance bicycling or even Iron Man comps when I am healthy enough in the future.

Always choose life!

Hollandpower

• Getbig I
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 11:49:50 AM »
Good info.

Thanks, Coach. :)

I'm gonna change my cardio routine immediatly.

The Coach

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »
All drugs.

Hope this helps fuckwit.

Brutal 14 inch guns.

Yes, it does sperm dumpster. He makes the cyclist look like Sergio Oliva!!

The Coach

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2008, 12:17:37 PM »
Interesting thread, at least for a cardio newb like me.

That sucks Moose, sorry to hear that. At least you're still breathing. I'm sure with a good diet (omega-3's), regular cardio, maybe meditation (for stress),... you'll outlive most of your peers.

$

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
  • Can't wait until the new DaddyWaddy's come out
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2008, 01:01:57 PM »
sorry to hear about that Moosejay....DeBussey summed things up well though

keep positive
Air Falcon