Author Topic: Thoughts on overtraining?  (Read 5848 times)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Thoughts on overtraining?
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2008, 04:26:41 PM »
maybe thats what the textbooks say btu i suggest you swim 20 laps or more per day at a good pace and tell me what you look like in one month.

a regular swimming program has actually caused some subjects to gain weight.

pay attention. already tested anecdotally.

funny thing is, you're always the first one to say "if you can't back it up by science your opinion is worthless" even if you've got decades of anecdotal evidence, but now that science disagrees with you you're saying the science doesn't matter, try it out. ::)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2008, 04:37:58 PM »
 i dont ever say that. you just entirely made that up.

anyways; try it. or just go down to the public pool when theyhave swim praqctice for the college kids or whatever...take a look at the bodies on the competitive swimmers. and/or go down to a water polo practice and look at those dudes.

Alex23

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2008, 12:08:15 PM »
training requires calories to recover from and progress. without enough calories, you simply cannot recover and improve. i'd like to know how anyone could POSSIBLY refute this. if underfeeding did not exist, we could all take a lot of supplements, not eat, and get gigantic while dropping every ounce of fat.

Eating more and more = will not prevent "overtraining".

Do heavy leg day and go get your blood checked the day after. Your enzymes and creatinine levels will be very elevated to the point of being asked if you have done anything special lately.

Do that over and over, a couple of weeks straight with no breaks and your organs will quickly get overwhelmed. Your body will react by raising cortisol dramatically and going catabolic.

You body != a machine.

Redwingenator

• Getbig II
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2008, 02:52:28 PM »
"Research has shown swimming to be an even worse way to shed fat; in fact, a regular swimming program has actually caused some subjects to gain weight. This is because exercise in the water is not associated with as dramatic a rise in body temperature as seen during land exercise. Elevations in body heat during physical exertion stimulate an important increase in metabolism within the muscles, enabling them to burn more calories. Heat is conducted away from the body 24 times faster in the water than on land, enabling vigorous exercise without the normal increase in temperature. Additionally, after a strenuous workout on land, body temperature may stay elevated up to six hours post-exercise, causing a significant “afterburn” of calories that does not occur after swimming. Thus, less calories are burned during swimming and less of an “afterburn” occurs following exercise."

http://www.sportsguidemag.com/archive/Jun03/TrainFit-controlfat.asp

It's great that you actually took the time to back up your point with an article  ;)  The problem is that the author is a douche that does not give a source of his stated study, nor does he give any context to his comments.  What was the intensity, how many days per week did they swim, how long did they swim, what were their fat/fitness levels when starting the study, how long did the study last for?  Imho his study is bullshit.  A person's core temperature rises with swimming unless you're swimming in Lake Superior in February.  It's like saying that if I go running with my shirt off when it's 55 degrees my core temperature won't increase.

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2008, 09:53:02 PM »
It doesn't matter if you are swimming or running.  Its the temperature of your surrounding enviroment that determines how well your body can remove the access heat.  Its alot easier to swim in a pool that is 78 degrees than a pool that is 85 degrees.  After a few minutes swimming in an 85 degree pool will feel like you are swimming in a hot tub.  The warm water sucks the energy out of you.  78 degrees ( the temp of most pools ) is not cold enough after a few minutes.   

Also I can tell you from personal experience that my body's temp stays elevated long after I get out of the pool.  The fact remains that swimming is not the most efficient way to burn caloires.  Your biggest muscles in your legs, are simply dragged behind you when you swim, and starts and flip turns are not significant in burning calories

To prove my point once and for all.  Which burns more calories?  Lat Pull downs for an hour ( swimming ), or Squats for an hour( running ).  Just because its painful or uncomfortable, doesn't mean you are burning alot of calories, it just means your body is not built to efficiently do the activity at hand.

If you want to burn the maximum calories stick to the stair machine.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2008, 10:21:15 PM »
Eating more and more = will not prevent "overtraining".

Do heavy leg day and go get your blood checked the day after. Your enzymes and creatinine levels will be very elevated to the point of being asked if you have done anything special lately.

Do that over and over, a couple of weeks straight with no breaks and your organs will quickly get overwhelmed. Your body will react by raising cortisol dramatically and going catabolic.

You body != a machine.

dude, are you for real? you're actually negating that you can underfeed your body.

okay, i have an idea. YOU do heavy leg day and then don't eat anything the rest of the day. repeat, having normal calories in the morning and absolutely nothing after noon. do this for a few weeks and tell me if "underfeeding" is still a myth.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2008, 02:50:43 PM »
sounds like a solid routine my man.

pretty much what i do personally; except im instinctual and soemtimes iw ill just go super heavy for one or two sets, while soemtimes i will go lighter weight for 5-6 sets...  just whatever my body feels like it needs that day.

Now I know why I don't post here much. Too many know-it-alls who know bugger all. Experts are everywhere. What a total waste of time to read this forum.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2008, 03:38:01 PM »
Now I know why I don't post here much. Too many know-it-alls who know bugger all. Experts are everywhere. What a total waste of time to read this forum.
you refering to my post ? i would hope you mistakingly quoted me, mr "two dianabol per day" stupid fucking dipshit old man

go back to your rootbeer and flabby stomach and old fat women; gay mother fucker

oh yeah, maybe their is somebody's funeral you can go barge in on who you dont even know just so you can take some pictures of some famous person  ::)

real respectable guy you are, huh champ??

go shoot yourself you old fucking moron

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2008, 05:04:18 PM »
Candidizzle you clearly are intellectually challenged. There is no instinct to lift weights. When intelligent people have something heavy to shift they get their mates, a lever, or lifting device to get the job done.

Clearly you are devoid of anything approaching knowledge in hypertrophy so come to the internet to ask questions. That many do as you do make you seem earnest but you really should get into the gym and not hang around the internet all day making a fool of yourself.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2008, 05:07:11 PM »
Candidizzle you clearly are intellectually challenged. There is no instinct to lift weights. When intelligent people have something heavy to shift they get their mates, a lever, or lifting device to get the job done.

Clearly you are devoid of anything approaching knowledge in hypertrophy so come to the internet to ask questions. That many do as you do make you seem earnest but you really should get into the gym and not hang around the internet all day making a fool of yourself.

vince post all your golden wisdom on how to propperly stimulate muscle growth !!!!!   

ahhaha !!!

vince you are an old fool and you need to keep your mouth shut, because you dont know jackshit !

come on vince, lets have a little discussion about "knowledhe in hypertrophy" as you put it...   we will sort it out who really knows what and who is the pretender

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »
What a joke that Candid is going to be the test of truth of what I know. Give me a break. I don't respect most of the moderators here, either. This forum is virtually worthless. Dudes like Candid contaminate anything that could be of value. He wouldn't recognize the true theory of hypertrophy if he read it! Why? Simply because he has no real knowledge himself. He is just another dude with typically misinformed beliefs.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2008, 05:48:09 PM »
What a joke that Candid is going to be the test of truth of what I know. Give me a break. I don't respect most of the moderators here, either. This forum is virtually worthless. Dudes like Candid contaminate anything that could be of value. He wouldn't recognize the true theory of hypertrophy if he read it? Why? Simply because he has no real knowledge himself. He is just another dude with typically misinformed beliefs.
then prove what your saying, you stupid old fuck

you have NEVER EVER once posted ANY information on the subject of hypertophy..   you have only used the word, and accused others of being ignorant about it.

i can only assume that you have no clue

prove that you know the slightest amount on the subject and i apologize for insulting you

Alex23

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2008, 08:49:47 PM »
dude, are you for real? you're actually negating that you can underfeed your body.

okay, i have an idea. YOU do heavy leg day and then don't eat anything the rest of the day. repeat, having normal calories in the morning and absolutely nothing after noon. do this for a few weeks and tell me if "underfeeding" is still a myth.

Does "food" prevents metabolic wastes? I didn't thing so....

Stay in school ::)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2008, 09:00:08 PM »
Does "food" prevents metabolic wastes? I didn't thing so....

Stay in school ::)

you need to whip through your "english as a second language" courses again, buckaroo.

or, to be less of a grammar nazi, the fact that your claiming that caloric intake has no effect on recovery is so patently stupid i have no recourse but to say you're just trolling.

Alex23

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2008, 09:03:10 PM »
you need to whip through your "english as a second language" courses again, buckaroo.

or, to be less of a grammar nazi, the fact that your claiming that caloric intake has no effect on recovery is so patently stupid i have no recourse but to say you're just trolling.

"ok" tatooed "bear fan" with a "shiny" futur...

Now go finish that novel ::)

hahaha what an underachiever we've got here...

Bodybuilding "Knowlegde" = compensating for not having top of the world genetics.

Spellcheck.