Author Topic: 525x2, 475x6 Bench Press (RAW 2 Board) Training VIDEO  (Read 7726 times)

bpgorilla

• Getbig II
525x2, 475x6 Bench Press (RAW 2 Board) Training VIDEO
« on: July 26, 2008, 02:39:53 AM »
This is from this past weeks Bench workout which really went well.
It was the beginning of my preparation for the IPF/NAPF North American Bench Press Championships in Costa Rica this September.
I will be competing as a member of Team USA and I am really looking forward to this competition.  Hopefully all the workouts leading up to this meet will be as solid as this one was.

Next week we do bench shirt work!

Have a great day & USA all the way!

525x2, 475x6 Bench Press (RAW 2 Board)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: 525x2, 475x6 Bench Press (RAW 2 Board) Training VIDEO
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 07:39:01 AM »
Lets see:  reverse bands, boards, loud music..... .the only thing missing from that video is a hot babe and chains.  ;D

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 07:39:55 AM »
hahah this guy is fucking entertaining  ;D
follow the arrows

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 08:43:44 AM »
reverse bands is the oldest trick in the book, the weight gets lighter as it's lowered. ::)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 10:09:26 AM »
can someone please tell me what the fuck the point of a reverse band 2 board press is? how much weight do you want to avoid actually pushing?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 10:11:30 AM »
can someone please tell me what the fuck the point of a reverse band 2 board press is? how much weight do you want to avoid actually pushing?
hahahaa, exactly, 525 in real weight would crush this guy, he's a strong dude no doubt but those weights are WAY beyond him.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 03:39:23 AM »

I think it's to simulate a shirt, so it saves you the bother of having to get into it?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 06:16:30 AM »
I think it's to simulate a shirt, so it saves you the bother of having to get into it?

It is. 

Reverse bands definately have their place in training.  While they "simulate a shirt" they aren't quite the same---the groove isn't as strict as most shirts, so while you get the same "lightening effect" of a shirt as the weight is lowered, you will still have to work to balance the weight without fighting against the shirt.

I've done reverse bands quite a bit prior to a RAW bench contest for mental training also.  You get used to holding a heavier weight at arms length, it'll condition your wrists and elbows without over straining your pec tendons.  You won't that "oh shit, this is heavy" effect you can with heavy weights right after the liftoff.  Your brain is used to the weight, your wrists and elbows are used to the weight, so it translates indirectly into bigger full range benches.  They are definately something to use. 

In this case, he did say 'bench shirt work" next week.  So it makes sense he's getting ready for using the shirt. 

its just the presentation is fucking hysterical.  ;D

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 06:17:11 AM »
No shit.  I really want to meet this guy someday at a meet.  He's gotta be a trip in real life too.  ;D

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 07:54:09 AM »

i understand reverse bands, i understand boards. i don't get doing both at the same time.

although i do believe that 95% of the time reverse bands are used it's ego. you can get the same top/bottom ROM weight differential using normal bands, but people want it to look like it's 545 on the barbell or whatever.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 09:18:32 AM »
i understand reverse bands, i understand boards. i don't get doing both at the same time.

although i do believe that 95% of the time reverse bands are used it's ego. you can get the same top/bottom ROM weight differential using normal bands, but people want it to look like it's 545 on the barbell or whatever.

LOL@ the ego.....I'm starting to feel like a pseudodork defending BPGorilla's videos because they are such a trip, but I think it needs to be said...... I think you are right ego is a factor, but for some individuals, but reverse band presses definately have their place.

I have had quite a bit of luck with one of my training partners and my wife while using reverse bands.  In the partners case, he had had a shoulder injury and literally was afraid of the weight.  The bands helped him get over that and to a degree rehab the shoulder.  I've used them myself when my shoulders were bothering me and I've used them with a shirt when I was trying to push the weight up fast so I could condition my wrists and elbows or when my biceps were bothering me and touching weight was painful. 

in my wifes case, she had problems with getting the weight out of line towards the bottom of the chest and dumping it towards her head or abdomen (this was RAW) and she was fighting and fighting with her bench shirt (and me) just to move weight.   The bands helped her keep things tight because she could control the "lighter" weight as the bands  held part of it at the bottom, but then still work her lockout really well with them, which helped condition her triceps, elbows and wrists.  She overcame the drifting problems using reverse band presses. 

As far as the bands and board goes.... Again, I can see it if you are trying to pretrain for board presses in a shirt or if you are trying to work a specific sticking point (like you get out of align right off the board or something). 

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 02:24:41 PM »
Vet, i respect your opinion a lot, but nothing in that big post explained why anyone would be doing reverse band 2 board presses. board presses, yes; reverse bands, yes; both, no. that's all i'm saying

it's like tone barbaccio flipping the fuck out when he sees anyone talking about doing shirted boards. layering top-range movements is just ridiculous. might as well throw some chains on and your shirt.

bpgorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 03:24:18 PM »
Lets see:  reverse bands, boards, loud music..... .the only thing missing from that video is a hot babe and chains.  ;D

Thanks Vet

I dont have any chains, but I am married to a pretty hot babe.
I see your point and I may try to get a hot babe and chains for the next video.
I am using boards with the reverse bands to overload my training to ba able to handle and press more wieght in a shirt.

bpgorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 03:25:57 PM »

Thanks haider

My training videos are meant to be fun and a little over the top sometimes.
Just watching some lift weights can be kind of dull.
But if I can entertain and lift, well that sounds like fun!

bpgorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 03:29:26 PM »

Thanks burn2live

That is correct. I can't bench in a shirt every week and reverse bands allows me to mimic lifting in a shirt without wearing one.
It also allows you to control the bar to your chest more and practice hitting the SWEET spot better, so when you do wear a shirt you can get it rght quicker.
It is a great training exercise.

bpgorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 03:35:12 PM »
It is. 

Reverse bands definately have their place in training.  While they "simulate a shirt" they aren't quite the same---the groove isn't as strict as most shirts, so while you get the same "lightening effect" of a shirt as the weight is lowered, you will still have to work to balance the weight without fighting against the shirt.

I've done reverse bands quite a bit prior to a RAW bench contest for mental training also.  You get used to holding a heavier weight at arms length, it'll condition your wrists and elbows without over straining your pec tendons.  You won't that "oh shit, this is heavy" effect you can with heavy weights right after the liftoff.  Your brain is used to the weight, your wrists and elbows are used to the weight, so it translates indirectly into bigger full range benches.  They are definately something to use. 

In this case, he did say 'bench shirt work" next week.  So it makes sense he's getting ready for using the shirt. 

its just the presentation is fucking hysterical.  ;D

Vet

You got it right...EXACTLY!
It is a tremendous benefit to getting use to heavier weights.

It eliminates a lOT of the fear factor involved with gear and super maximum weights.
That was a great post and as far as hysterical...It is meant to be fun and entertaining!
I train in my garage so I can control the environment unlike lifting in a commercial gym.
Which means I can add some personality to my lifting ;D!

Again GREAT post and have a great day!

bpgorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »
No shit.  I really want to meet this guy someday at a meet.  He's gotta be a trip in real life too.  ;D

Vet

I will be attending the Worlds Strongest Man Competition in West Virginia and at the Arnold Expo next March.

Stop by and si hi if you are can make it.
As for bein a real life trip,   maybe sometimes......maybe!

Have a great day!

bpgorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 03:57:27 PM »
Vet, i respect your opinion a lot, but nothing in that big post explained why anyone would be doing reverse band 2 board presses. board presses, yes; reverse bands, yes; both, no. that's all i'm saying

it's like tone barbaccio flipping the fuck out when he sees anyone talking about doing shirted boards. layering top-range movements is just ridiculous. might as well throw some chains on and your shirt.

MisterMagoo
The idea behind using reverse bands with boards is to overload your cns to able to handle more wieght. Also to prepare a lifter to be able to LIFT more weight in a meet.
I use to think exactly like you about mixing boards, shirts, chains and reverse bands, that it was ridiculous waste of time. Until I started watching how IPF World Champions and some of the big untested lifters train. Then I started mentally processing how and what purpose all those lifts served. Then I realized it was to help them get used to heavier weights and prepare them to lift MORE in a bench shirt. Until I changed my metal frame of mind I couldn't grasp the concept, becuase I had done so much RAW only type of lifting. 
I also have a a goal set to compete at the IPF World Bench Press Championships one day and lifting raw only won't cut it. I need to prepare to lift in a shirt while being raw so I can get my body ready for the super maximum weights.

Here are a couple of video examples.
I hope this helps and have a great day!

Tim Anderson - 2008 220 lb IPF World bench press Champion performing a 695x2 3 board bench press

Chip Tallman #1005 2 board Reverse Band bench press

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 10:55:33 AM »

Sorry, I thought i covered it in the last sentence of my post. 

I think its an opinion thing as to if it works.   All I can say is try it, see if it works for you.  If it doesn't then don't do it.