Author Topic: Just watched pumping iron again  (Read 5244 times)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: Just watched pumping iron again
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 12:17:21 PM »

:o

i don'y suppose anyone has a torrent of that olympia, or pics? i've seen some grainy ones of 74 i think and he did look huge.

;)

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 12:25:38 PM »
Awesome pics dude  8)

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 12:27:38 PM »
Butler and Gaines approached him at the last minute in BB terms, so he was down a little  from the previous year.

Not true.....Butler and Gaines had the film in the pipeline for several years, and had shot about 10 minutes of footage the prior year (73,74??), and showed that to investors in new York who put in the $150K to make Pumping Iron. So it had been established for sometime the film was going to shoot.

But Arnold had also been trying to break into the mainstream movie business, with limited success. Arnold had been offered a part in the film "Stay Hungry" and it wrapped a few months before the Mr. Olympia-and Arnold needing as much exposure as he could get took the Stay Hungry  role and dropped a few pounds for filming, knowing full well he was going to have a more limited time frame to prepare for the 75 Olympia.

So Arnold's lower bodyweight was a result of him preparing and doing "Stay Hungry", not the filming of Pumping Iron at the last minute.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 12:28:02 PM »
yes, great pics, but those wern;t the ones i was talking about. there are others where he looks even more massive.
175lbs by 31st July

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 12:30:06 PM »
Arnold  did a quick speech on how he isn't interested in getting any bigger since he had managed to balance everything to its correct proportion. He stated that the only thing he needed to perfect was his posing. I  think its in the latter part of pumping iron.

Arnold also gave a speech about how he missed his father's funeral because he had to train for the Olympia-and it was 100% bullshit.

Arnold will say and do anything that promotes his interests, without regard to the truth.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2008, 12:30:39 PM »
 ;)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 12:33:38 PM »
Not true.....Butler and Gaines had the film in the pipeline for several years, and had shot about 10 minutes of footage the prior year (73,74??), and showed that to investors in new York who put in the $150K to make Pumping Iron. So it had been established for sometime the film was going to shoot.

But Arnold had also been trying to break into the mainstream movie business, with limited success. Arnold had been offered a part in the film "Stay Hungry" and it wrapped a few months before the Mr. Olympia-and Arnold needing as much exposure as he could get took the Stay Hungry  role and dropped a few pounds for filming, knowing full well he was going to have a more limited time frame to prepare for the 75 Olympia.

So Arnold's lower bodyweight was a result of him preparing and doing "Stay Hungry", not the filming of Pumping Iron at the last minute.

Actually...if Pumping Iron didn't get picked up....I doubt Arnold would have even bothered competing in 75 after doing Stay Hungry

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2008, 12:35:39 PM »
That relaxed shot is fucking nuts :o

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2008, 12:36:35 PM »
Kick-ass shot of The King!  8) :o

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2008, 12:36:46 PM »
Pumping Iron was the pinnacle of bodybuilding. Nothing since then has even approached that point in time.
a

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2008, 12:38:12 PM »
Actually...if Pumping Iron didn't get picked up....I doubt Arnold would have even bothered competing in 75 after doing Stay Hungry

Exactly! Homeboy was ready to pack his bags and call it quits - there were no other asses to kick.  ;)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2008, 12:44:06 PM »
Only watched it once.  Arnold and Waller came off like a couple of catty beauty queens, Katz and Ferrigno like poster boys for confidence problems.  It's a mess from beginning to end.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2008, 01:24:27 PM »
 ::)

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2008, 01:35:16 PM »
Only watched it once.  Arnold and Waller came off like a couple of catty beauty queens, Katz and Ferrigno like poster boys for confidence problems.  It's a mess from beginning to end.
If you dont like Pumping Iron and Arnold, you dont like bodybuilding

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2008, 01:44:46 PM »
If you dont like Pumping Iron and Arnold, you dont like bodybuilding

I like pumping iron.  I just didn't like Pumping Iron.

Arnold had a great physique, but that's the extent of my admiration for the guy.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2008, 02:44:53 PM »
I like pumping iron.  I just didn't like Pumping Iron.

Arnold had a great physique, but that's the extent of my admiration for the guy.

Has many great qualities, but also has a very dark side that is cruel and mean.

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2008, 02:45:23 PM »
Please explain

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2008, 03:00:51 PM »

well....I believe I would call it being selfish or being in love with oneself a little too much.  He will stop at nothing to get his way.  Arnold admits it being one of his faults....but it's also his biggest strengths propelling him forward in everything he does.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2008, 03:06:51 PM »
Arnold also gave a speech about how he missed his father's funeral because he had to train for the Olympia-and it was 100% bullshit.

Arnold will say and do anything that promotes his interests, without regard to the truth.

In "Iron Insights" (from the Pumping Iron DVD), Arnold said that the reason he did that was to enhance how cold he can be. The original plan was to have Lou Ferrigno be the antagonist (heel) of the film. But, with Lou's hearing problem, coupled with his father overshadowing him, it was felt that Lou didn't have what it took to be the villian. So, Arnold ended up with that role.

The missing-the-funeral thing, Arnold said, came from a bodybuilder he met in France.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2008, 03:42:14 PM »

I didn't see it that way, at least not with Katz. The directors were trying to make it appear that each contest was basically a two-man show (Waller and Katz, for the Universe; Schwarzenegger and Ferrigno for the Olympia).

With Waller and Schwarzenegger, they came off as confident favorites, thinking that their opponents couldn't get with them. But, they'd each leave nothing to chance. Hence, you got Waller's elaborate "scheme" (T-shirt gate) and Schwarzenegger's preparing Ferrigno for defeat by talking him into losing.

Moosejay

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2008, 06:29:26 PM »
Right you see Mike at the end of the counter not amused with Arnold's ramblings

you are overthinking it...all mm was doing was drinking protein from a can

Moosejay

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2008, 06:32:20 PM »
Butler & Gaines did as much as anyone to further BB, both the classic movie, the idea behind it, the financing, convincing Schwarzenegger to do it and doing him the biggest ever favor in the process. Just a classic movie; walked by that Gold's a month ago and still get goosebumps. Could have been even better with just a little more accuracy and faithfulness to the book though, through the inclusion of some that were overlooked like Mentzer, more Robinson, Oliva, Nubret, Padilla, all of whom were invisible or afterthoughts, but hey it was intended to be an Arnold star vehicle so they put him up against dopes like Ferrigno, Katz and Columbu to make him look even better, and left out other intelligent peers.

That was only part of it actually.

somewhat true...they were all extensively covered...and were down or up-edited based upon the contest outcomes later on

Moosejay

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »
this bigger stronger faster sounds good too, but not in the same way.

Even women who hate bodybuilders and think they look horribe can watch pumping iron and say they all look good, well apart from mike 'the hills have eyes' katz

yes...god forbid any of your current-day muscular marvels get a contract with the NY Jets or anything of similar substance other than babysitting...er...ummm. ..I mean training someone

Dballn247

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • That's how I roll.
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2008, 06:34:48 PM »
I took a huge dump today. 8)
\

Moosejay

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2008, 06:38:34 PM »
I didn't see it that way, at least not with Katz. The directors were trying to make it appear that each contest was basically a two-man show (Waller and Katz, for the Universe; Schwarzenegger and Ferrigno for the Olympia).

With Waller and Schwarzenegger, they came off as confident favorites, thinking that their opponents couldn't get with them. But, they'd each leave nothing to chance. Hence, you got Waller's elaborate "scheme" (T-shirt gate) and Schwarzenegger's preparing Ferrigno for defeat by talking him into losing.

the promoters wanted either katz or waller to go in O against A...bc Padilla was supposed to be the 3rd american entrant along with robby and either mike or ken in the U

b weider asked ken and mike to decide who would go into the O against A...they were put in a hotel room to figure it out....neither wanted to...so it was (unfairly) decided
that padilla was out 

this comes straight from big mike