Author Topic: Bench Shirt?  (Read 10062 times)

Bruffy

• Getbig II
  • If it's not metal, it's crap!
Bench Shirt?
« on: July 10, 2008, 09:06:23 AM »
This has probably been asked before; but, can anyone recommend a decent bench shirt for a first time user for around $100.00 US.  What about a proper fit?
I

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: Bench Shirt?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 09:10:13 AM »
Titan F6 Single ply is a good start.

Just call Titan and give them your chest and arm measurements.

http://www.titansupport.com/products/shirts/f6.htm

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:10:39 PM »
I started with a Titan F6 singly ply, and I love it.  It's about $100. 

There is a drawing on the Titan website that shows you were to measure, I think.  What I was told to do - and I did - was take my chest and arm measurement, call Titan and ask what size shirt they recommend, and then order my shirt two sizes smaller than what they recommend.   ;D

I have heard that Inzer makes cheaper beginner bench shirts, like around $60 that are not as good but easier to get into and out of than the Titan ones, and they may be easier to learn from, especially if you are a beginner and trying to do it yourself. 
If you have a proper fitting F6, you will never be able to get it on/off by yourself.
:)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 03:21:11 PM »
I started with a Titan F6 singly ply, and I love it.  It's about $100. 

There is a drawing on the Titan website that shows you were to measure, I think.  What I was told to do - and I did - was take my chest and arm measurement, call Titan and ask what size shirt they recommend, and then order my shirt two sizes smaller than what they recommend.   ;D

I have heard that Inzer makes cheaper beginner bench shirts, like around $60 that are not as good but easier to get into and out of than the Titan ones, and they may be easier to learn from, especially if you are a beginner and trying to do it yourself. 
If you have a proper fitting F6, you will never be able to get it on/off by yourself.

It depends on what you get.  I started out in an inzer HPHD Blast shirt.  I really didn't like it because I felt like it was pulling the weight over my head (i'm a natural belly bencher).  I then switched to an Inzer single ply denim.  This shirt was fine, once I figured it out, but I felt like I wasn't getting much from it other than seam burns.   I then went to an Inzer Radical Denim, which also seemed to just fall short for my liking.  They all cost less than $100 and I think any of them might be a reasonable beginner shirt to learn how to use a bench shirt.  The HPHD required 2 people to get me into.  The denims I could get on with only a little help, but getting out of them was a real task. 

I started using a single ply Rage X last year, which I think is probably the best shirt I've tried out to date.  It gives great support, isn't ridiculous to get into, and seems to be wearing well. 

My wife on the other hand has had more problems with bench shirts than any person I know.  She's tried a EPHD Blast, multiple Rages, a Rage X, and denim.  She has problems with all of them.   I'm debating just seeing about her switching to an F6, but I'm almost afraid she won't like that one either. 

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 06:21:46 AM »
Titan shirts have a completely different feel than Inzer.

The F6 and Katana are the best shirts i've used.

i didn't like the Rage X at all.

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 07:36:09 AM »
My wife on the other hand has had more problems with bench shirts than any person I know.  She's tried a EPHD Blast, multiple Rages, a Rage X, and denim.  She has problems with all of them.   I'm debating just seeing about her switching to an F6, but I'm almost afraid she won't like that one either. 

What kind of problems is she having, Vet?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 08:10:43 AM »

What kind of problems is she having, Vet?

Bitchiness.....   ;)

She wants to compete raw, I'd like to see her set some state/regional records in the bench and deadlift---which I'm certian she will do both RAW and geared, but I'm convinced she'll like the gear once I can convince her its not some form of torture only stupid people should be wearing. 

She's got really broad shoulders for a woman and she's really lean with long arms.  We've moved her up 4 sizes with the Rage and she's still complaining about it not fitting her right in the delts. 

I personally have had good luck with Inzer gear---even with the need to have every single piece of gear customized in some way to fit right, but in her case, it seems like its more complicated. 

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 08:21:11 AM »
Bitchiness.....   ;)

She wants to compete raw, I'd like to see her set some state/regional records in the bench and deadlift---which I'm certian she will do both RAW and geared, but I'm convinced she'll like the gear once I can convince her its not some form of torture only stupid people should be wearing. 

She's got really broad shoulders for a woman and she's really lean with long arms.  We've moved her up 4 sizes with the Rage and she's still complaining about it not fitting her right in the delts. 

I personally have had good luck with Inzer gear---even with the need to have every single piece of gear customized in some way to fit right, but in her case, it seems like its more complicated. 

Bitchiness...something I would know nothing about!   ;D

She MUST know that a new bench shirt is never going to be comfortable and that breaking it in is definitely torture, right?  There has to be a shirt out there that fits her...she just has to bite the bullet and make the investment (time and pain).  Remember the pics I posted when I first got my shirt?  I was like "OK you guys have to be kidding if you think that this bench shirt is going to fit me!"

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 11:28:16 AM »

Bitchiness...something I would know nothing about!   ;D

She MUST know that a new bench shirt is never going to be comfortable and that breaking it in is definitely torture, right?  There has to be a shirt out there that fits her...she just has to bite the bullet and make the investment (time and pain).  Remember the pics I posted when I first got my shirt?  I was like "OK you guys have to be kidding if you think that this bench shirt is going to fit me!"

She better know it'll hurt considering the amount of times she's helped me in or out of one through the years and the amount of times she's made fun of my bruises and told me to stop bitching because something hurt.... 

That said, I do think its just a matter of getting a correct fit.  She's sort of like I am---we both like our gear at a degree where others may call them slightly loose.  I'd like her go do what I did and try out the really tight stuff and then make up her mind from there on if she likes really tight or looser.  Once we get that, the sky will be the limit. 

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 12:02:51 PM »
Call Ken Anderson if you get a Titan.  He will send it faster than if you order it directly from Titan.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 06:18:31 PM »
Call Ken Anderson if you get a Titan.  He will send it faster than if you order it directly from Titan.

True!  I gave Ken my bench shirt at the USPF Nats, and he fixed it all up, lowered the neck, tightened up the chest plate, and mailed it back to me...I had it in less than a week! 

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 02:51:15 PM »
rage X.  Titan is teh ghey

Jason

Bruffy

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 06:16:37 AM »
I broke down and bought a standard Inzer Blast Shirt.  Eventually, it was my wallet that made the choice for me because I've never used a shirt before.  Currently benching 340 lbs. raw @ 200 lbs. bodyweight.  For those with experience, what can I expect from using a shirt for the first time.  Any tips, hints, or advice?
I

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 10:05:56 AM »
I broke down and bought a standard Inzer Blast Shirt.  Eventually, it was my wallet that made the choice for me because I've never used a shirt before.  Currently benching 340 lbs. raw @ 200 lbs. bodyweight.  For those with experience, what can I expect from using a shirt for the first time.  Any tips, hints, or advice?

maybe 20-30lbs.  blast is JUNK.  Sell it!  It is easy to use but a bitch to get on and off.

Jason

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 11:57:26 AM »

Jason

i've heard nothing good about single-ply Rage-X's, and a double ply for a newbie is just crazy talk. mine needed 455 to touch without my form collapsing, and it was even a bit loose. properly fitted it would have been damn near 495 just to make it to the chest and i couldn't bench that much.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 06:18:48 PM »
i've heard nothing good about single-ply Rage-X's, and a double ply for a newbie is just crazy talk. mine needed 455 to touch without my form collapsing, and it was even a bit loose. properly fitted it would have been damn near 495 just to make it to the chest and i couldn't bench that much.

Because you dont gear your training for equipped lifting.  i think it is often something alot of guys forget.  Even following the same program, an equipped lifters eexercise selection will be much different than a raw guys will be.   Also, although said nothing about a double, never underestimate my gear whoring ways!  ;)

Jason

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 11:51:46 PM »
This has probably been asked before; but, can anyone recommend a decent bench shirt for a first time user for around $100.00 US.  What about a proper fit?
are you going to compete?
A

Bruffy

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 07:00:21 AM »
I'm considering a possible competition; but, that won't be until summer of 2009.
I

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 07:55:57 AM »
I'm considering a possible competition; but, that won't be until summer of 2009.

Save your money until January, and then buy it.  Doing consistent PL training will put more muscle on you than any frou frou bb program anyway.  No sense in buying 2b if youre on a budget my friend.

Jason

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 01:35:59 PM »
Save your money until January, and then buy it.  Doing consistent PL training will put more muscle on you than any frou frou bb program anyway.  No sense in buying 2b if youre on a budget my friend.

Jason
Yep
A

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 11:41:26 PM »

Jason
Why is Titan "the Ghey"?

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 09:28:53 PM »
Why is Titan "the Ghey"?

Its more in fun than anything.  I believe that for a guys first singleply shirt the rageX is the way to go.  Is Titans Katana superior?  In every way. But I think it is TOO jacked for a first shirt, especially if noone is there to train with/coach him in it.  Ive seen a guy do over 800 in a single katana.

Jason

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 01:53:08 PM »
Its more in fun than anything.  I believe that for a guys first singleply shirt the rageX is the way to go.  Is Titans Katana superior?  In every way. But I think it is TOO jacked for a first shirt, especially if noone is there to train with/coach him in it.  Ive seen a guy do over 800 in a single katana.

Jason
A single ply Fury or F6 is a very easy shirt to use.  I

Polish Power

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 06:43:43 PM »
I wish they would do away with bench shirt's. Raw is Real...My reason is I set a junior record when they weren't allowed then my record was broken by someone when they were allowed. Raw is Real...

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 09:00:20 PM »
I wish they would do away with bench shirt's. Raw is Real...My reason is I set a junior record when they weren't allowed then my record was broken by someone when they were allowed. Raw is Real...
 ;D
A