Author Topic: For Everyones input: What are the top 6 bodybuilding foods?  (Read 6909 times)

genrommel74

• Getbig III
Re: For Everyones input: What are the top 6 bodybuilding foods?
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 10:57:36 PM »
beef
chicken
oatmeal
eggs
brown rice
fish(orange roughy)

UpTheDosage

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 12:41:09 AM »
typical offseason day

burgers
pizza
steak
eggs
whey
pasta

insulin offseason day

oatmeal with pie filling
whey
egg whites
chicken
sweet potatoes
vitargo or waxy maize

dieting

chicken
natural pb
eggs/ egg whites
whey
almonds
all sources of omega 3's and 6's

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 12:58:44 AM »
i disagree, personally. i dont see any reason at all to eat junk calories or foods your body wont use. as far as i know, there is no correlation between lipogensis and the rate of protein synthesis, and no added benefit to hypo caloric states that the "fed" state doesnt give you.

plus, he is combingin fats and carbs there. that is definitely off season eating, as one would NEVER combine fats and carbs when dieting for a show.

well you don't see it because at your bodyweight, no disrespect intended, you can 'cleanly' provide your body with the calories it needs.

much larger competitors in the offseason find it a lot more difficult to take in that many clean calories just due to the amount of food it would entail.

for example, as a challenge, sit down one day and try to take in 500 grams of carbs in oats- thats ALOT of oats- and you still have to take in 400 grams or so of protein on top of that yet. 

it has gotten to the point where for myself, the only way i can take in the calories i need, is to use liquid carb/ protein sources, if i want 'cleaner' calories.
b

UpTheDosage

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 01:58:37 AM »
well you don't see it because at your bodyweight, no disrespect intended, you can 'cleanly' provide your body with the calories it needs.

much larger competitors in the offseason find it a lot more difficult to take in that many clean calories just due to the amount of food it would entail.

for example, as a challenge, sit down one day and try to take in 500 grams of carbs in oats- thats ALOT of oats- and you still have to take in 400 grams or so of protein on top of that yet. 

it has gotten to the point where for myself, the only way i can take in the calories i need, is to use liquid carb/ protein sources, if i want 'cleaner' calories.

exactly. No pro constantly eats clean. You can't get to 260 plus eating clean all the time. A majority of your meals can be clean but you have to mix in dirty shit to really grow. Throw in high carb days using insulin with no "dirty foods" and that's what guys do today.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 04:55:18 AM »
1 Egg Whites
2 ham(for flavour)
3 Fish
4 Pork
5 Roasted Seeds
6 Vegetables

+good oil

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 06:03:34 AM »
beef

fish

milk

beans

rice

chicken-even though i hate it.

bench

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 09:55:14 AM »
IMHO they are, in no particular order.

1. Red Meat.

2. Chicken Breast.

3. Eggs.

4. Rice.

5. Nuts.

6. Green Veggies.
PUSSY
PUSSY
PUSSY
BEEF LEAN
TURKEY
DEER MEAT
ALL VEGIES
p

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 11:08:34 AM »
Chicken
Oatmeal
Salmon
Yams
Tuna
Whole Wheat Bread
L

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 11:52:49 AM »
Yams
Tilapia, orange roughy or salmon
chicken brestesess
broccoli
quinoa
buffalo

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 12:22:54 PM »

how much do you weigh and whats your lbm ?

im not so skinny anymore, and i can still get in enough food.

i will say that i have a never ending hunger/appetite, however...and that ive never been faced with a meal i couldnt eat entirely  ;D

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 06:47:54 PM »
Awesome list fellas, its funny that most of the list have pretty much the same foods. So as you can see there is no magic food to get in shape.

Keep the discussion going!!!!!  :)

Has Beens

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2008, 07:01:48 PM »
My favs if we are talking pre-contest;

1. lean red meat

2. chicken thighs

3. yams

4. white rice

5. egg whites

6. oatmeal

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2008, 07:38:22 PM »

It changes as I move along through the diet.  I usually start with white potatoes and brown rice, and then move to oats and brown rice, and then pretty much just Farrina (cream of wheat) down the final stretch.  Those are rough times.   :P

isnt farina a so so carb source? does it have a high gi?

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2008, 10:50:23 PM »
My favs if we are talking pre-contest;

1. lean red meat

2. chicken thighs

3. yams

4. white rice

5. egg whites

6. oatmeal

Has beens,

You dont think chicken thighs are too fatty for pre contest ( ive always liked them, but been afraid to ever eat them cos of the fat in them )

And would you mind sharing your pre contest diet, im sure others ( as well as myself ) are interested in seeing what you eat !

Thanx

Has Beens

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008, 10:29:57 AM »
Has beens,

You dont think chicken thighs are too fatty for pre contest ( ive always liked them, but been afraid to ever eat them cos of the fat in them )

And would you mind sharing your pre contest diet, im sure others ( as well as myself ) are interested in seeing what you eat !

Thanx

Thighs work great for me because I tend to come down too fast and the fats actually help. I feel everyone who plans on competing should play with their diet well in advance to see what works for them. EVERYONE is different and will respond different. I have tried many different combos and this is what works for me.

This does not reflect and supps/vitamins ect.....just my food intake. This is a bit generic since I gradually change things as I get closer and what I see in the mirror. This also revolves around a 7-3 work sched.

6am.....12 eggs whites, 40g oatmeal
8am.....20g protein from a meat source/small portion of fruit
10am....chicken or steak...yams or white rice
12pm....same as above
2pm......same as above
4pm....50-75g simple carbs pre-workout....40g protein shake post workout.
7pm...40-50g protein from meat/40/50g carbs from rice

That is really about it, it just gets a tweak here and there at times with carb intake. As it gets closer I cut out all shakes except post workout and add chicken.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2008, 10:46:53 AM »
My top six:

1. Whey Protein Isolate
2. Milk
3. Red Meat
4. Chicken
5. Brown Rice
6. Eggs

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008, 12:23:10 PM »
Thighs work great for me because I tend to come down too fast and the fats actually help. I feel everyone who plans on competing should play with their diet well in advance to see what works for them. EVERYONE is different and will respond different. I have tried many different combos and this is what works for me.

This does not reflect and supps/vitamins ect.....just my food intake. This is a bit generic since I gradually change things as I get closer and what I see in the mirror. This also revolves around a 7-3 work sched.

6am.....12 eggs whites, 40g oatmeal
8am.....20g protein from a meat source/small portion of fruit
10am....chicken or steak...yams or white rice
12pm....same as above
2pm......same as above
4pm....50-75g simple carbs pre-workout....40g protein shake post workout.
7pm...40-50g protein from meat/40/50g carbs from rice

That is really about it, it just gets a tweak here and there at times with carb intake. As it gets closer I cut out all shakes except post workout and add chicken.

NICE! Thanx has beens, so u dont cycle carbs or anything? Just as u get closer to the show?

But plain and simple. Looks like from asking a bunch of people the K.I.S.S plan works the best :)

dustin

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2008, 12:47:24 PM »
Whey
Beef
Chicken
Eggs
Oats
Rice

I was feeling iffy about the whey. Great for post work out but during other times of the day, I'd rather alternate between chicken, eggs or beef. I eat lots of oats and white rice. I tried the brown rice thing for two years but you know what? Fuck brown rice. An Asian brother needs his white rice. I haven't gotten fat or had trouble with adipose with white rice, and brown rice makes me feel flat and I don't lean out any differently than with white... sometimes what you see on paper doesn't apply to real life. I don't live in a lab so white rice all the way.

Fish didn't make the cut because unless it's fresh, it tastes like shit. After eating over 500 cans of tuna, one day I was eating a can of lemon tuna and couldn't take a bite. Every bite, I gagged... I've eaten fish maybe a dozen times in the past half year. My gf (Cambodian/Chinese, does lots of oriental cooking with a bodybuilding twist), she makes fucking fantastic fish soup and other crazy fish dishes. If she cooks me fish, I'll eat it. Aside from that, FUCK fish. Stinks up the house too. Don't mind fatty cuts or salmon steaks cooked Western style either, but if I'm bringing out the grill then I'm cooking steak and ribs, bitch.

Oats are versatile as fuck. I put them in post workout shakes unless I'm dieting down like right now. I believe that they get absorbed quickly enough between my PWO shake and my PWO meal. They even taste good. Sugars and starches are too sweet or they mix like glue. Screw that. I know that I shouldn't be eating for satiety purposes or flavor, but if I can't drink a liquid because it's more of a sludge then I'm gonna go with what works. Oats are a little thick, but half a cup in 700-800ml of water really isn't too bad. I like the nutty flavor.

Beef is great. Sucks to cook, but it's versatile. Needless to say, you can do anything with chicken. It keeps well, you can cook a shitload of it, etc, etc. And that's how I feel about bodybuilding foods that have worked for myself. Now to just keep finding intuitive ways of prepping meals quicker, tastier and in more appropriate portions, ratios and times for optimal growth and minimal fat gain (or fat loss). Yeeee!!!

Has Beens

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2008, 01:24:54 PM »
NICE! Thanx has beens, so u dont cycle carbs or anything? Just as u get closer to the show?

But plain and simple. Looks like from asking a bunch of people the K.I.S.S plan works the best :)

I keep the carbs fairly high until it`s time to deplete, but my only carbs are rice, yams, potatoes, oatmeal, grits, and small portions of fruit.  I would much rather feel good and get through a workout while doing 2x cardio a day than feel shitty on a low carb diet. It also helps me stay much fuller thus keeping my mind right when I look in the mirror. For me, dieting is very mental.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2008, 04:59:16 PM »
I keep the carbs fairly high until it`s time to deplete, but my only carbs are rice, yams, potatoes, oatmeal, grits, and small portions of fruit.  I would much rather feel good and get through a workout while doing 2x cardio a day than feel shitty on a low carb diet. It also helps me stay much fuller thus keeping my mind right when I look in the mirror. For me, dieting is very mental.

Ditto!!

:)