Author Topic: Was Jimmy Carter Right?  (Read 2410 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: Was Jimmy Carter Right?
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 11:43:19 AM »
These?
--Start massive government investment to develop alternative sources of fuel.

--Mandate that utility companies cut their use of oil by 50%, and switch to alternative fuels.

--Give $10 billion to strengthen the nation's public transportation system.
Of course. These ideas put into action, grown over time, would today make this country alot stronger and secure than it's current state the past decade.

Then why didn't they happen? Who decided to not do these measures?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 11:46:54 AM »
These?
--Start massive government investment to develop alternative sources of fuel.

--Mandate that utility companies cut their use of oil by 50%, and switch to alternative fuels.

--Give $10 billion to strengthen the nation's public transportation system.
Of course. These ideas put into action, grown over time, would today make this country alot stronger and secure than it's current state the past decade.

Do you think the market will force companies to develop alternative fuel sources?

The only time i see them truly developing alternative fuel on there on (save the token crap) is when the consumer no longer buys gas.

But I'm open to discussing this further and learning why it's not the way to do it, either way.

Also, we invest in stupid sh1t all the time.  I think what turns most conservatives off is:  "massive Government Investment"    If we don't invest in something we will get zero return from everything.   And the lack of energy policy in the USA seems to have hurt us and put us in a Dependant mode on foreign oil.

So aside from all the political ideology BS, what's are the practical solutions?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 01:13:53 PM »

Do you think the market will force companies to develop alternative fuel sources?

The only time i see them truly developing alternative fuel on there on (save the token crap) is when the consumer no longer buys gas.

But I'm open to discussing this further and learning why it's not the way to do it, either way.

Also, we invest in stupid sh1t all the time.  I think what turns most conservatives off is:  "massive Government Investment"    If we don't invest in something we will get zero return from everything.   And the lack of energy policy in the USA seems to have hurt us and put us in a Dependant mode on foreign oil.

So aside from all the political ideology BS, what's are the practical solutions?

It's starts with taxation, one of the biggest ways to begin so people can see and feel it's POWER, is by giving states their sovereignty powers back in these particular areas of interest. Let states who have a monopoly on items such as liquor tax, state lotteries, and gambling start the ideas that require building and investment, it's a great abortive scheme that will give partial dependence to many different prototypes. You can't have a federal program at this level, it won't work; to many dissenters, to many begging hands, way too much greed at the top.

Utility companies, transportation companies, they all want out of oil they see the future is bleak and profits are up and down no one wants uncertainty. Only problem is the market is never wrong only people's ideas and speculations. Another reason why we should let states spend not the federal level spend. Letting states spend is developmental, why? Because the state substitutes for insufficient private sectors, creating competition, but the downside is it's on a much lower revenue raising interests, which can collapse into a welfare system, like Germany and their railroad days, and other concealed employment sectors. I think that this won't happen though, prices are going to keep getting high throughout all of this and things will become nationalized.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 03:27:16 PM »
Read Bush's 2005 energy policy. It is very similar to Carter's.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/energy/
http://www.doe.gov/media/FINAL_8-14_DOE_booklet_copy_sep.pdf

The dems 2007 energy polkicy is very different, where it is more concerned with were energy comes from the energy independence. Oil prices will continue to rise under the democrats as they start to restrict were there oil comes from. Good by Canadian oil, so long development of Shale oil.
http://energy.senate.gov/public/_files/RL342941.pdf

By the way Canada has some of the stricted enviromental records around. This is of no consequence to the deomcrates who are listeming to Saudi Arabia.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080628.EOBAMA28/TPStory/Environment
http://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/2008/05/13/top-five-actions-your-federal-government-can-take-to-lower-energy-prices/

“Once developed, U.S. oil shale resources will be similar in extent and energy potential to Alberta’s tar sand reserves. When oil shale and tar sands are considered together, the United States and Canada will be able to claim the largest oil reserves in the world.”However, in 2007, Congress adopted a rider that prohibited the Department of Interior from completing the task it was assigned in 2005. Consequently, the United States is still without a program to bring this massive resource to market for American consumers.

America voted for these guys. At least Carter was looking out for America and American Businesses first which happen to be the major investors in Canadian Oil sands. Instead congress wants American money to go to Sheiks in the middle East.
Z

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 05:54:23 PM »

It's starts with taxation, one of the biggest ways to begin so people can see and feel it's POWER, is by giving states their sovereignty powers back in these particular areas of interest. Let states who have a monopoly on items such as liquor tax, state lotteries, and gambling start the ideas that require building and investment, it's a great abortive scheme that will give partial dependence to many different prototypes. You can't have a federal program at this level, it won't work; to many dissenters, to many begging hands, way too much greed at the top.

Bush made some comment when he took office to the effect that states should have more power.

After 6 years of republican majority NOTHING has changed in that regard.  Which is some proof, it's nothing but lip service and the 2 party system is a scam.

Utility companies, transportation companies, they all want out of oil they see the future is bleak and profits are up and down no one wants uncertainty. Only problem is the market is never wrong only people's ideas and speculations. Another reason why we should let states spend not the federal level spend. Letting states spend is developmental, why? Because the state substitutes for insufficient private sectors, creating competition, but the downside is it's on a much lower revenue raising interests, which can collapse into a welfare system, like Germany and their railroad days, and other concealed employment sectors. I think that this won't happen though, prices are going to keep getting high throughout all of this and things will become nationalized.

I'm sorry but i don't what any of this has to do with investing in alternative fuels such as nuclear power for utility companies.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2008, 02:19:45 AM »
I realize that some in the energy industry take advantage...they don't need hand-outs any more. Jag don't ever speak for me or explain my postions or beliefs to anybody, ever for any reason.

Fair enough.

However, I was NOT speaking for you, or explaining your position. I was discussing my assessment of your position, what I believe to be your conflict of interest, and your moral / mental /spiritual disconnect with universal law.

ur a foreign Lib from a second rate country

In that case, I can only presume that it must really gall you to know that my "2nd rate country" performed best of all the G8 nations including your "1st rate country" or that our dollar is worth more than yours?

Since I've agreed not to speak for you, suppose you could tell us in your own words how it feels to know you're fighting a losing battle, to know that the people aren't as stupid as you take them to be, and that they're standing up & taking notice and taking their country back from the big corporations who have pillaged, raped and squandered the national treasury, ...and refusing to let dickless wonders propagandize them into marching to their deaths?
How does it feel to be the last of the dodo birds?

w