Author Topic: U.S. agents can seize travelers' laptops: report  (Read 2813 times)

kh300

• Getbig V
Re: U.S. agents can seize travelers' laptops: report
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 05:45:49 PM »
Very strange, they're reporting this as a new development on the news.  It's not new, it's been going on for a while.  I have heard several stories of this happening quite a while ago.  I remember one story and it's been a while where one businessman was very disgruntled at after having lost his laptop more than once.  I guess this is what we get for letting bullshit stories about Paris Hilton and other stupid crap dominate the media.  The only reason this stuff makes it into the news today?  I guess there wasn't enough sensational bullshit to cover ::)

must be a customs issue. ill look into it when i go to the office in the morning (230am :()

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 05:47:35 PM »
Very strange, they're reporting this as a new development on the news.  It's not new, it's been going on for a while.  I have heard several stories of this happening quite a while ago.  I remember one story and it's been a while where one businessman was very disgruntled at after having lost his laptop more than once.  I guess this is what we get for letting bullshit stories about Paris Hilton and other stupid crap dominate the media.  The only reason this stuff makes it into the news today?  I guess there wasn't enough sensational bullshit to cover ::)

:)

you've had some good posts today.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 10:03:57 PM »
who doesnt back up their shit on a thumb drive? Come the fuk on if i have something even remotely important its on my pc, external hard drive and a thumb drive if im traveling. This is just poor planning although it would suck to have a lap top confiscated it shouldnt mean the end of a trip only a minor hiccup. Id rather them confiscate a few lap tops then get blown up in mid air.

External hard drives and thumb drives are also eligible for seizure.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 10:08:16 PM »
i dont like it. its too vague. to be honest i havnt even been told about this, and im not taking anyones laptop anyways, im giving it to the FBI

That's mighty nice of you.

Considering how many laptops the FBI has lost in recent years, ...they probably have a shortage.  :D
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 10:16:20 PM »
True, why would I give a shit about my 2000.00 laptop being seized when I have it backed up on a 150.00 western digital ::)
if your read my post completely i said it would suck to have a lap top confiscated...DICK ::) my point was that alot of ppl on this thread are saying how it would fuck up your business trip and if thats the case then you didnt exactly think it through and plan ahead. Many things can happen during travel that can disable your lap top and  you should always back up important work.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 10:18:30 PM »
email it to yourself, there are also secure websites that allow you to store files, pics, etc...that you can access from any internet connection. Like I said if something like this completely screws your trip up then you didnt think things through.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 10:23:20 PM »
must be a customs issue. ill look into it when i go to the office in the morning (230am :()

kh, what is the weirdest thing you have experienced while working in the airport security business?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 10:24:17 PM »

So I guess they would have to search you anally? lol  ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 10:29:07 PM »
So I guess they would have to search you anally? lol  ;D

w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 01:57:06 AM »
if your read my post completely i said it would suck to have a lap top confiscated...DICK ::) my point was that alot of ppl on this thread are saying how it would fuck up your business trip and if thats the case then you didnt exactly think it through and plan ahead. Many things can happen during travel that can disable your lap top and  you should always back up important work.
oh man, you are seriously a dumb fuck... I stand by the spirit of my post.... Wake the fuck up douchebag.  You're placing the onus on the citizen due to the fact the government might snag your laptop...  WTF you fucking moron ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2008, 02:11:14 AM »

I don't really back up anything when I travel, because I can access my office network from anywhere.  If my laptop was confiscated I'd be in a world of hurt, not because I lost information, but because I would have lost the ability to access my work.  Enormous inconvenience.   

But I do carry a flash drive too. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2008, 02:28:20 AM »
But I do carry a flash drive too. 
If they're taking your laptop, they're taking your flash drive too.  The news today stated that anything with storage capacity even phones are subject to seizure with or without any suspicion of guilt.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2008, 02:41:13 AM »
If they're taking your laptop, they're taking your flash drive too.  The news today stated that anything with storage capacity even phones are subject to seizure with or without any suspicion of guilt.

Not cool.  That wouldn't affect me as much as taking my laptop. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2008, 02:50:16 AM »
Not cool.  That wouldn't affect me as much as taking my laptop. 
yea, the guy I watched on the news months ago, maybe longer, can't remember but it's been a while, was really pissed at losing all his work related shit and more than once.  That's why I'm kind of shocked it's just news today.  I've heard of it several times before today.  I mean, if they suspect a guy enough to take all their shit, you would think they would be holding them too.  But nope.  They just snag your puter and you're stuck with it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2008, 02:54:35 AM »
yea, the guy I watched on the news months ago, maybe longer, can't remember but it's been a while, was really pissed at losing all his work related shit and more than once.  That's why I'm kind of shocked it's just news today.  I've heard of it several times before today.  I mean, if they suspect a guy enough to take all their shit, you would think they would be holding them too.  But nope.  They just snag your puter and you're stuck with it.

Now that I think about it, there is some sort of precedent for this.  I think they're called "forfeiture" laws, or something like that?  It's where the government seizes any property involved in a drug arrest (boat, car, house, money, etc.) and keeps it indefinitely.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2008, 03:17:31 AM »
Now that I think about it, there is some sort of precedent for this.  I think they're called "forfeiture" laws, or something like that?  It's where the government seizes any property involved in a drug arrest (boat, car, house, money, etc.) and keeps it indefinitely.
I'm lost, hook me up here, how would that apply to this?  They can take your laptop with or without reason as stated today.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2008, 09:06:12 AM »
oh man, you are seriously a dumb fuck... I stand by the spirit of my post.... Wake the fuck up douchebag.  You're placing the onus on the citizen due to the fact the government might snag your laptop...  WTF you fucking moron ::)
LOL what happens if the lap top gets broken in travel, whos fault is it you cant give your presentation or dont have the files? its yours. Same concept your letting your hatred of the government blind you here bud. What if your lap top gets stolen? you still have a responsibility to give the presentation or deliver the files correct? Am I putting the responsibility of backing their shit up on the citizens? hell ya like i said if you dont back up important shit then your a moron. Is it shitty that they can confiscate a lap top as well as thumb drive? shit ya it is, but like i said id rather them do that then explode in mid air.

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2008, 09:13:49 AM »
All of my "business" data is secured by rijndael, you guys are so stupid if you dont know how to properly secure your data :)

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2008, 09:44:04 AM »
Hey, Bush pretty musch invalidated habeas corpus... so I don't know why people are making such a stink about your government taking your laptop.

What really changed is they are NOW targetting US Citizens. That's right, the monster is now coming after you too!

But worry not, the Bush family has your best interest at heart.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2008, 11:54:39 AM »
I say seize away.

You should value your rights a bit more.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2008, 01:07:37 PM »
I'm lost, hook me up here, how would that apply to this?  They can take your laptop with or without reason as stated today.

Here is an explanation of how forfeiture works in drug cases:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asset_forfeiture

Pretty much the same concept.  Government believes you may have used your property to commit a crime or the property is the fruit of a crime, so they take it.  I don't agree with forfeiture laws and don't like this laptop thing either.  Just saying this kind of thing has been going on for years. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2008, 04:33:05 PM »
Any idea how long they seize it for? Is it indefinite? Once they determine you are no risk, do you get the computer back, or do you simply have to buy another one?
w

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2008, 04:39:18 PM »
Any idea how long they seize it for? Is it indefinite? Once they determine you are no risk, do you get the computer back, or do you simply have to buy another one?

if its crypted they should return it , useless :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2008, 04:39:58 PM »
If you aren't a terrorist what do you have to worry about?
 ::) ;D

hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Funnier than...

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2008, 06:23:06 AM »
if its crypted they should return it , useless :)
If it's encrypted then it must contain something you want to keep private evil so they'll keep it longer while they brute-force the decryption.