Author Topic: Substitut for barbell rows  (Read 5199 times)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Substitut for barbell rows
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 08:38:46 AM »
Goudy makes me laugh, every excuse in the book not to squat or do barbell rows but he pounds heavy ass benches and overhead presses like they're going out of style. ::)

My back is my strong part. It is just injured. I do ALL the exercises as best i can when i can. I have just been unfortunate recently.

I did DB rows, gonna try chest supported ones next day. Back feeling 80% now so hopefully early next week ill be ok. Thanks for input

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 08:39:52 AM »
My back is my strong part. It is just injured. I do ALL the exercises as best i can when i can. I have just been unfortunate recently.

I did DB rows, gonna try chest supported ones next day. Back feeling 80% now so hopefully early next week ill be ok. Thanks for input
if your back was really fuccked up you wouldn't be able to do heavy overhead presses. ::)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 09:01:37 AM »
I dont feel it on OHP i feel it on deadlifts and squats.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 09:03:11 AM »
if your back was really fuccked up you wouldn't be able to do heavy overhead presses. ::)

QO - maybe not. I pulled a muscle in my lower back doing a heavy dumbbell row last week. I was doing it  by bracing my free hand against my knee. As soon as I stood up when I finished, WHAM, I felt like i was hit with a 2x4 in the spine.

After a few days it still is sore, but I tried some PBN's today and as long as I had a belt on, I didn't feel a thing in my back. Must just be the way the nerves line up.

After all these years of lifting, I  have found there are some movements that I can go heavy on year in and year out with no problems, while others - if I change the angle just slightly I end up in serious pain.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 09:04:28 AM »
QO - maybe not. I pulled a muscle in my lower back doing a heavy dumbbell row last week. I was doing it  by bracing my free hand against my knee. As soon as I stood up when I finished, WHAM, I felt like i was hit with a 2x4 in the spine.

After a few days it still is sore, but I tried some PBN's today and as long as I had a belt on, I didn't feel a thing in my back. Must just be the way the nerves line up.

After all these years of lifting, I  have found there are some movements that I can go heavy on year in and year out with no problems, while others - if I change the angle just slightly I end up in serious pain.
i'm talking about heavy STANDING presses which he does, world of difference on the low back compared to seated.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Substitute for barbell rows
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2008, 09:10:20 AM »
It is when i am at the bottom portion of the lift i feel it. Since my back is not bent/rounded and is striaght etc when doing OHP i dont feel it at all...Not that i round by back deadlifting anymore.

I started deadlifting my dumbells off the floor when i incline. I believe going for me, relatively heavy and at a very fast pace i causing the probs maybe. The dumbells are extremley close to the ground. To overcome this i merely deadlifted them off a 2" block. Seems to be working

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 09:10:41 AM »
i'm talking about heavy STANDING presses which he does, world of difference on the low back compared to seated.

Now that's an exercise I cannot do without going into traction after a few weeks, lol. As soon as I arch back on the press up, I feel like I am crushing discs.

I think there are some movements human beings were not built to do heavy, at all.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »
One thing i have is hyperextensive knees. Maybe this helps me standing press...no pain etc

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: Substitute for barbell rows
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 09:11:56 AM »
It is when i am at the bottom portion of the lift i feel it. Since my back is not bent/rounded and is striaght etc when doing OHP i dont feel it at all...Not that i round by back deadlifting anymore.

I started deadlifting my dumbells off the floor when i incline. I believe going for me, relatively heavy and at a very fast pace i causing the probs maybe. The dumbells are extremley close to the ground. To overcome this i merely deadlifted them off a 2" block. Seems to be working
why not just walk them over from the rack, do the presses, kick them back down to your knees, get up and walk them to the rack without putting them on the floor?

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 09:15:54 AM »
the dont fit on the rack. Only DB's up to 80's fit on teh rack. Its all equitment made in the ship yards. Dumbelss are just plates welded to handles.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2008, 09:17:03 AM »
the dont fit on the rack. Only DB's up to 80's fit on teh rack. Its all equitment made in the ship yards. Dumbelss are just plates welded to handles.
that's weird we've got db's up to 170's on the top rack at my gym, you should find a stand to put them on that's at at least waist level.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2008, 09:19:24 AM »
the rack is made in ship yard. all equitment is 46 years old.

I was thinking of putting 2 benches infront of the bench so that i was kinda suitcase deadlifting them but bench only has 3. cant hog it all.

The gym in this vid has DB's on rack mine doesnt

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2008, 09:20:47 AM »
hurt back...gimme a substitute for tomorro.

ill be doing
weighted chins
weighted pull ups
????????????
cable rows
stay on your current stack till u heal. I think you'll keep most of your size

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2008, 09:21:53 AM »
What is funny romanian is that we here in ireland...pretty poor until recently used to send clothes and second hand stuff to you in romania. You are probaly wearing my old boxers.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2008, 09:22:32 AM »
What is funny romanian is that we here in ireland...pretty poor until recently used to send clothes and second hand stuff to you in romania. You are probaly wearing my old boxers.
he's far too skinny to wear your clothes.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2008, 09:23:08 AM »

Brutal Dumbells

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2008, 09:24:14 AM »
he's far too skinny to wear your clothes.

Thing is i am genuine. Local people in my area every year petitioned for clothes food etc in local schools and drove buses to romania to deliver it.

Burn2live went to romania on voluntary charity work 2 years back i think.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2008, 09:25:12 AM »
Thing is i am genuine. Local people in my area every year petitioned for clothes food etc in local schools and drove buses to romania to deliver it.

Burn2live went to romania on voluntary charity work 2 years back i think.
how did you get the buses over the English Channel?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2008, 09:26:22 AM »
Do you ever consider all the stuff you THINK you should know that make you "in the know" is NOT as important as you think?

Maybe all of the know what was written by frustrated geeky inferior people like yourself who try to make up for lack of ability with knowldge?
what?

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2008, 09:27:14 AM »
how did you get the buses over the English Channel?

Ferry from larne to stranraer...drive to england...english tunnel over to  romania

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2008, 09:44:31 AM »
:D you are killing me .... is your poppa proud of your faggish self ?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2008, 09:46:34 AM »
listen to broadstreetbruiser
he knows his shit
Z

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2008, 09:47:58 AM »
:D you are killing me .... is your poppa proud of your faggish self ?

What is worse is that a majority of it is school children sending money and food your way. Hell most of romain is still running about in these people in ireland wore when i was like 9.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2008, 09:52:26 AM »
What is worse is that a majority of it is school children sending money and food your way. Hell most of romain is still running about in these people in ireland wore when i was like 9.

yawn..we here talk bodybuilding. And in bb terms you look like a lettuce

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2008, 09:56:45 AM »
I am young. Time is on my side.

Sadly time is working against you Right said Fred.