Author Topic: How long do you leave your dog alone for each day  (Read 6096 times)

Method101

• Getbig V
How long do you leave your dog alone for each day
« on: November 04, 2008, 10:38:59 AM »
Ime just curious i don't own a dog but maybe oneday i will.

Everywhere i read you shouldn't leave your dog alone for over an hour, yet i know people who leave their dog alone in the house and they work 9-5 jobs.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: How long do you leave your dog alone for each day
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:55:36 PM »
Young puppies who can't control their bladders shouldn't be left alone for long, but most trained, well behaved dogs should be fine an entire work day.  Scout's had an occasional 12 hour day, but for the most part 4-6 hours, although he could care less if I'm home during the day.  Keesha had days up to 14 hours without accidents, but she had separation anxiety for years, so there were other issues, regardless of how long she was alone.
:

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 07:07:17 PM »
When I leave my dog just sleeps.  He can hold his bowels/bladder for almost as long as he wants, within reason of course.

When he was a puppy he was crate trained to develop bowel control, but the longest he ever spent in a crate was as a young puppy, around 8 hours a night when I was sleeping in the same room so if he had to go he would wake me.  And around 3-4 hours if he was totally alone.

As long as you go for a long walk with your dog every day to develop a bond and get him some exercise, once the dog is an adult there is nothing wrong with people having 9-5 jobs and owning dogs.  I tend to be on the other side of the fence with puppies though and don't believe you should get one unless it can be raised properly for the first 8 months or so.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 07:38:59 AM »
About 2-4 hours.

But as a puppy they need to go out about every 20 minutes until they are potty trained :P
R

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 09:08:15 AM »
About 2-4 hours.

But as a puppy they need to go out about every 20 minutes until they are potty trained :P

That is overboard.  Besides, you can't teach a dog not to go in the house until you catch them trying to go in the house and correct them.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 01:28:37 PM »
That is overboard.  Besides, you can't teach a dog not to go in the house until you catch them trying to go in the house and correct them.
Yeah, like every 20 minutes ;D
R

~weed~

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 03:43:33 PM »
I have never read that you shouldn't leave your dog alone for more than an hour?

???

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 04:05:07 PM »
my dog is maybe left alone 1 hour a week tops. i am in a position to take him everywhere with me, and when i travel i have someone stay in my house with him. unfortunately this has backfired a bit, as he gets very stressed on his own and has huge separation anxiety. let them spend time alone from the beginning and they will be used to it. once patterns are set it is tough to change them. creatures of habit.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 09:49:36 PM »
I have never read that you shouldn't leave your dog alone for more than an hour?

???

Because it isn't true.

If I'm home my dog sleeps or chews on a bone.  If I'm out he sleeps or chews on a bone.

lol