Author Topic: Proof that you do not need heavy weights to build a stellar physique...  (Read 6065 times)

mazrim

• Getbig V
Re: Proof that you do not need heavy weights to build a stellar physique...
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 08:36:05 AM »
That's odd that your incline is higher than your flat bench.

Moosejay

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 08:44:21 AM »
That's odd that your incline is higher than your flat bench.

Yeah, I know, but inclines are easy for me in comparison, even tho my chest never showed it, they are better for pec dev

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • You gotta bring it to get it!
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 09:16:15 AM »
...or to even get a pump.

Just don't injure yourself. Too many of you have a complex where "How much" is the oft-queried axiom.

Make light weights look heavy, and you will capture the glory.

Here I am warming prior to one of my best bb performances ever.

About 25 pounds total.

Success!

So true....   "Make light weights look heavy, and you will capture the glory."  so, so true.
And Muscle with strength is good for....what?

Are you in the NFL?

Not being funny, but being uninjured and increasing my longevity lifting is more important than destroying my joints with too much weight

"being uninjured and increasing my longevity lifting is more important than destroying my joints with too much weight"
exactly....

heavy weights & strength training is essential for the look which we all seek and helps us get there quicker.  however heavy training probally makes up 20 - 30 % of total training methods.  Forging foundation with moderate weights is bb'n. :)
capture the glory moosejay   8)

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 09:16:33 AM »
Yeah, I know, but inclines are easy for me in comparison, even tho my chest never showed it, they are better for pec dev
I'm the extreme opposite. I could bench 265x8 flat, but incline was like 185x6. Incline is a bit higher nowadays that I am prioritizing it.

Moosejay

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 09:21:17 AM »
So true....   "Make light weights look heavy, and you will capture the glory."  so, so true.
"being uninjured and increasing my longevity lifting is more important than destroying my joints with too much weight"
exactly....

heavy weights & strength training is essential for the look which we all seek and helps us get there quicker.  however heavy training probally makes up 20 - 30 % of total training methods.  Forging foundation with moderate weights is bb'n. :)
capture the glory moosejay   8)

I will give you the "Lion's" share of the glory for your fine post ;D

Moosejay

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 09:21:54 AM »
I'm the extreme opposite. I could bench 265x8 flat, but incline was like 185x6. Incline is a bit higher nowadays that I am prioritizing it.

smart

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • You gotta bring it to get it!
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 06:34:09 PM »
I agree with 240.

300=heaviest becnh
315=heviest incline for 5 reps
420=2 rep deadlift max
low 500's heaviest squat

Mediocre # 's maybe, but best I coiuld do. Not built for styrength

dont be so quick to call those #'s mediocre.....    everyone who's for real on these boards know that those #'s are way above average ..... especially for guys who don't weight train.( people who don't train could get fractions of those lbs., and yes there are exceptions to every rule )....   most guys can't even bench their own body weight let alone benching in the 200's... even people that weight train.....  it takes years of sweat to reach those levels....

You are strong Mossejay, you can admit it, people know it. :)

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 06:36:10 PM »
Agreed.

Moosejay

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 07:27:05 PM »
dont be so quick to call those #'s mediocre.....    everyone who's for real on these boards know that those #'s are way above average ..... especially for guys who don't weight train.( people who don't train could get fractions of those lbs., and yes there are exceptions to every rule )....   most guys can't even bench their own body weight let alone benching in the 200's... even people that weight train.....  it takes years of sweat to reach those levels....

You are strong Mossejay, you can admit it, people know it. :)

Okay, I WAS strong :)

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 01:40:21 AM »
As long as the muscle is broken down and is given time to recover it doesn't matter.

But i have achieved results with very light weights, slow movements and squeezing the bar in times my nervous system was overtrained.

Moose you got hard and have a nice beach body but you have no thickness which indicates no heavy weights or not being serious for any length of time.

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 02:52:58 AM »
If you keep the proper form and tension on the muscle, and you manage to up the weight you will gain extra muscle. It's not rocket science. The body needs to adjust to the new weight.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 04:38:04 AM »
  But the machines, and relatively light work on them compared with 350 lb tugs in the garage on deadlifts, have made a difference.

So much for the standard claim that weights are always better (not).

Ya, most pros realize later that the ego could be thrown out earlier and injuries avoided, by training smarter while still hitting the muscles as hard or harder with lighter weights. That's not to avoid lifting heavy, it's to combine moderately heavy poundages with other methods.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 04:41:55 AM »
Why in the hell would you want to LOOK strong and not BE strong?
Everyone should lift heavy, occasionally if not regularly. Good for growth and bone density.
Muscle without strength = USELESS

This is the classic trap that creates problems.

The idea's to get reasonably strong without it being the main focus contributing to injury problems.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 05:08:42 AM »
This is the type of Thread squadfather lived for ...

PIP
L

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 07:10:11 AM »
I guess alot o people go to the gym to look good and feel good about themselves.So in that case its not always about how strong they are.
Whereas others who are insecure in life need to lift heavy to satisfy their ego

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 02:45:57 PM »
I guess alot o people go to the gym to look good and feel good about themselves.So in that case its not always about how strong they are.
Whereas others who are insecure in life need to lift heavy to satisfy their ego
Yeah ego trainers are funny. Everybody laughs at them and they tend to hurt themselves.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 03:11:14 PM »
If you are natural...You need relatively heavy weights to build muscle.

Pump Pump Pump does nothing or very little if you are natural.

I dont agree with make light weights look heavy. i can make push-ups look hard though that will do fuck all.

Make heavy weights look as light as you can and you will build better muscle and much more of it.

Good form and good weight is the key.

rep range not so much so as people liek myself grow well off low reps whereas other need at least 10-12s to grow

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2008, 04:48:14 PM »
you've really gone off the deep end if you think your body was ever "stellar", you have the arms of a 12 year old girl in that pic.

Yours aren't too much different....

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 06:22:32 PM »
If you are natural...You need relatively heavy weights to build muscle.

Good form and good weight is the key.

Good form isn't essential, what's important is working the muscle, which can be done with or without good form.

As far as the amount of weight, moderate or moderately heavy will work, it doesn't have to be super-heavy, as many guys realize later.

Team Diver

• Getbig IV
  • Squeeeeze!!!
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 10:51:58 PM »
I have trained back in the garage with deadlifts and BB rows for years, and never really had anything impressive.

I joined a "fitness center" about 4 months back, and have been training on all sorts of iso-lat machines, hammer strength, lat pulldown bars, weird cable rows...

and for the first time in my life, I have upper lat 'wings' that show from the front.  Sorta like the ones that stand out on Chris mason, albeit mine are a mite bit smaller.  But the machines, and relatively light work on them compared with 350 lb tugs in the garage on deadlifts, have made a difference.

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna use kick ass isolation machines!"

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2008, 02:16:44 AM »
There's no such thing as not being built for strength imbecile. You might not be built for certain lifts but that doesn't mean
you can't achieve a respectable goal. It's moron's like you that hit a sticking point make excuses and give up. Your lifts
you list above are hardly impressive any high school kid with a couple years of efficient training could get those numbers.
I can't believe how stupid people are nowadays. Stop reading your fucking muscle magazines for training tips they will
get you nowhere fast. I'll never understand you idiots who want form over function. You pussies can make all the excuses
in the world for not lifting heavy but at the end of the day you just don't want to do what it takes to get strong. If anybody has a problem with insecurity it's fucking bodybuilders not weightlifters. Do you think olympic lifters who can press 400 lbs overhead flex in the mirror after every set to see if their arm got bigger in the last 5 minutes?

I've had numerous idiots like most of the people who post on this site come up to me after watching me complete a set of
heavy good mornings and look at me in disbelief. Yeah, I'm crazy... I'm gonna kill myself...I'm gonna blow out my back.
Go do your 50 sets of chest work wimp. Go do your cable flys for "definition". ::) BTW, I'm not a fat powerlifter or a
roid user so go fuck yourselves. It takes more then physical strength to lift heavy. It's more mental than anything.
Plus a pair of balls doesn't hurt. All you muscle pumpers can fuck off and fucking die. I put fags like you to shame
all the time. I can outlift guys who have 20-30 pounds more muscle mass than me. These guys get visibly upset watching
me and who can blame them with all the money they have to spend on gear cause they think they have to do 50 sets
per bodypart. Thank god for Louie Simmons and Brooks Kubik.

Take a few deep breaths, buddy.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2008, 02:23:50 AM »
There's no such thing as not being built for strength imbecile. You might not be built for certain lifts but that doesn't mean
you can't achieve a respectable goal. It's moron's like you that hit a sticking point make excuses and give up. Your lifts
you list above are hardly impressive any high school kid with a couple years of efficient training could get those numbers.
I can't believe how stupid people are nowadays. Stop reading your fucking muscle magazines for training tips they will
get you nowhere fast. I'll never understand you idiots who want form over function. You pussies can make all the excuses
in the world for not lifting heavy but at the end of the day you just don't want to do what it takes to get strong. If anybody has a problem with insecurity it's fucking bodybuilders not weightlifters. Do you think olympic lifters who can press 400 lbs overhead flex in the mirror after every set to see if their arm got bigger in the last 5 minutes?

I've had numerous idiots like most of the people who post on this site come up to me after watching me complete a set of
heavy good mornings and look at me in disbelief. Yeah, I'm crazy... I'm gonna kill myself...I'm gonna blow out my back.
Go do your 50 sets of chest work wimp. Go do your cable flys for "definition". ::) BTW, I'm not a fat powerlifter or a
roid user so go fuck yourselves. It takes more then physical strength to lift heavy. It's more mental than anything.
Plus a pair of balls doesn't hurt. All you muscle pumpers can fuck off and fucking die. I put fags like you to shame
all the time. I can outlift guys who have 20-30 pounds more muscle mass than me. These guys get visibly upset watching
me and who can blame them with all the money they have to spend on gear cause they think they have to do 50 sets
SHADUPP !!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2008, 02:25:16 AM »
Take a few deep breaths, buddy.

Don't bother him now GR, he's busy missing the point of bodybuilding.

Moosejay

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2008, 05:04:02 AM »

The sad fact is
Thet there is no originality left in the world
This
I have come to know

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2008, 11:53:17 AM »
The reason so many of these bodybuilders have bad joints is because of the rapid strength gain from drug use which
you idiots aren't taking into consideration. Like it or not everybody gets old and even you fucking pussies who want
longevity in the gym are going to experience it. There are people who've never touched a weight in their lives who
will have joint problems, bad hips and arthritis so why live your life in fear of injury. For fucks sake there's the possibility
of injury just from moving your tv set or a heavy bag of garbage. How many people has the bench press injured or even
killed for that matter? I don't see people warning others of the dangers of that exercise but when it comes to good mornings, deadlifts or even squats it never fucking ends. BTW, you my friend are hardly original. Just keep living in the
past and telling us how great you were back in the early 80's oiled up and in your man panties.

Its funny cause its true