Author Topic: trouble with bench press  (Read 2315 times)

gymrat01

• Getbig II
  • Lift or Die!!!!
trouble with bench press
« on: August 05, 2008, 09:59:17 PM »
I have been lifting for almost 2 years now and I cannot seem to get my bench to go up very much. my lifting partner said that it was because of my really long arms.  I work chest twice a week, it really pisses me off b/c ive only increased my bench 25 pounds in the past 6 months. i have been able to increase weight on everyother bodypart very easily it is just the damn bench press pisses me off.  any help would be greatly appreciated.
J

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: trouble with bench press
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:26:10 PM »

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 11:02:56 PM »
you want a big bench do these things:

1) learn correct form for your body.  I seriously think 95% of the gym goers I see in commercial gyms and 99.9% of the "trainers" don't know how to bench press worth a shit.  All they are doing is repeating bullshit they get from a stupid bodybuilding magazine thats on the market to sell supplements, not tell you how to train correctly.  There is a link in this forum on "bench press setup".  Start there.   
2) build strong triceps.  Don't fart around with dumbell kickbacks.  Pick up a heavy barbell and do JM presses, close grip presses, dips.  Make the triceps work. 
3) build a big upper back.  You have to have a platform to launch the weight off of.  Look at the biggest RAW benchers at powerlifting meets. They all have HUGE backs.  deadlift and ROW, ROW, ROW
**** While you are building that big back and triceps, learn to use your lats and triceps and to drive with your legs when you bench***

4)  Dont' be afraid of the heavy weights.  Get under the bar, squeeze the shit out of it, and push like the person spotting you won't pull it off.  Your brain is your weak link.  Get your brain to think you are strong by overcoming fear of the weight and you will become stronger. 

5) work your training with a day focusing on speed and a day focusing on maximum wieghts.  A fast bench is a strong bench, but you have to be balanced.  If you just work on speed you won't get enough heavy weight lifted to get stronger. If you just focus on maximum efforts, you will break down and eventually get weaker 

6) Gain weight.  If you get bigger, your bench will get bigger because you will shorten the range of motion.   

NATIVE ONE

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 11:04:49 AM »
4)  Dont' be afraid of the heavy weights.  Get under the bar, squeeze the shit out of it, and push like the person spotting you won't pull it off.  Your brain is your weak link.  Get your brain to think you are strong by overcoming fear of the weight and you will become stronger. 

Enough said......
3 REPS....I'M DONE!

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 11:15:54 AM »

Enough said......

check magoo's thread, i dont like him but i tried his training and along with 4) i made it these days up to 225x30 :)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 01:08:38 PM »
you want a big bench do these things:

1) learn correct form for your body.  I seriously think 95% of the gym goers I see in commercial gyms and 99.9% of the "trainers" don't know how to bench press worth a shit.  All they are doing is repeating bullshit they get from a stupid bodybuilding magazine thats on the market to sell supplements, not tell you how to train correctly.  There is a link in this forum on "bench press setup".  Start there.   
2) build strong triceps.  Don't fart around with dumbell kickbacks.  Pick up a heavy barbell and do JM presses, close grip presses, dips.  Make the triceps work. 
3) build a big upper back.  You have to have a platform to launch the weight off of.  Look at the biggest RAW benchers at powerlifting meets. They all have HUGE backs.  deadlift and ROW, ROW, ROW
**** While you are building that big back and triceps, learn to use your lats and triceps and to drive with your legs when you bench***

5) work your training with a day focusing on speed and a day focusing on maximum wieghts.  A fast bench is a strong bench, but you have to be balanced.  If you just work on speed you won't get enough heavy weight lifted to get stronger. If you just focus on maximum efforts, you will break down and eventually get weaker 

6) Gain weight.  If you get bigger, your bench will get bigger because you will shorten the range of motion.   

BOOOOOOOOOOM!

gymrat01

• Getbig II
  • Lift or Die!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 01:03:21 AM »
hey guys thanks for the advice, im gonna check into all of that shit.  and i'm gonna get my head right
J