Author Topic: Your high school car....  (Read 7823 times)

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
Re: Your high school car....
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2008, 07:41:59 PM »
1987 Chevy Camaro
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2008, 07:47:31 PM »
66 mustang  :) i bought it back form the person i sold it too recently.
A

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2008, 07:58:07 PM »

u didnt use the clutch once.....what do u mean?

When you drive an 18 wheeler, you learn to not use the clutch. In a tractor, the clutches are so heavy, it will tear your knee up after a prolonged amount of time. So, you learn to listen for the right RPM range and when it's right the transmission will slip right out of gear and you goose the gas again (more so when down shifting) it will slip right into the next gear. You're really just using the motor as the pressure plate/clutch system.
In cars, the clutches are not as heavy, so it's easier to use them. The only time you really use a clutch in a truck is stopping and starting. When I drove home, I didn't have to stop- all freeway and hit the lights right.
It's pretty funny to see someone who doesn't realize that you CAN shift without a clutch, finally see someone who can shift clutch-less.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2008, 08:00:08 PM »
1966 thunderbird convertible white with blue interior

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2008, 08:04:10 PM »
99 honda civic, my only car, still drive it.

monstercalves

• Getbig IV
  • Jesse James Dean Martin Lawrence Fishburne
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2008, 08:06:53 PM »
When you drive an 18 wheeler, you learn to not use the clutch. In a tractor, the clutches are so heavy, it will tear your knee up after a prolonged amount of time. So, you learn to listen for the right RPM range and when it's right the transmission will slip right out of gear and you goose the gas again (more so when down shifting) it will slip right into the next gear. You're really just using the motor as the pressure plate/clutch system.
In cars, the clutches are not as heavy, so it's easier to use them. The only time you really use a clutch in a truck is stopping and starting. When I drove home, I didn't have to stop- all freeway and hit the lights right.
It's pretty funny to see someone who doesn't realize that you CAN shift without a clutch, finally see someone who can shift clutch-less.

man....u must be a beast at the squat rack!!!!......hahah just kiddin i know what u mean

naaa i knew it could be done..... ive just never tried it....mainly out of fear of fucking the gearbox up

next time im driving someone elses car i will try shifting without the clutch  ;)

i havent driven any really heavy vehicles... ive driven quite a heavy dumper and yep..... the clutch was heavy ....but i just thought it was just that particular dumper ...and it was pretty old aswell

monstercalves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2008, 08:11:26 PM »
YOUNGBLOOD

how strict do u need to be with the gear change ...... timing i mean ....is there a big window for the change or is it hard to master?

im scottish ....so all i have ever driven is a manual..... never driven a "GO KART" in my life  ;D

thanks

MC

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2008, 08:24:03 PM »
YOUNGBLOOD
how strict do u need to be with the gear change ...... timing i mean ....is there a big window for the change or is it hard to master?

On a truck, you usually rev the RPM's up to about 2k....the shifter will allow you to slip right out of gear and by the time the RPM's hit 1500-1700, the transmission should allow you to go into gear without too much trouble. You'll have to find the "sweet spot," but the above range should cover you....in a car that you regularly drive, I would probably shift to neutral around 2500-3k and then put it back into gear around 2k or slightly more.
Lastly, GENTLY put it into gear. If you grind gears, don't worry, MORE RPM's (no need to rev up to 5k though!). Unless you're driving a shitbox, you probably won't hurt anything unless you are trying to slam it into gear.
Pretend it's your girls box....gentler the better! ;D

monstercalves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2008, 08:37:32 PM »
On a truck, you usually rev the RPM's up to about 2k....the shifter will allow you to slip right out of gear and by the time the RPM's hit 1500-1700, the transmission should allow you to go into gear without too much trouble. You'll have to find the "sweet spot," but the above range should cover you....in a car that you regularly drive, I would probably shift to neutral around 2500-3k and then put it back into gear around 2k or slightly more.
Lastly, GENTLY put it into gear. If you grind gears, don't worry, MORE RPM's (no need to rev up to 5k though!). Unless you're driving a shitbox, you probably won't hurt anything unless you are trying to slam it into gear.
Pretend it's your girls box....gentler the better! ;D

hah............

thanks mate!

the gearbox will be sitting in neutral b4 i even get in the car!

so im starting off in neutral.....i will have to use the clutch to get moving initially?...

will i not have to get used to how the engine should sound for changing from 1st gear to 2nd gear...

like...the optimum RPM to change from 1st to 2nd and the RPM will be different for changing from 2nd to 3rd and so on.......?

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2008, 08:52:12 PM »
so im starting off in neutral.....i will have to use the clutch to get moving initially?...

NO!!!!
The only time you actually use the clutch and HAVE TO, is from a dead stop and once you get down to speeds under 5-10mph. From a dead stop, do everything you regularly would. ;)

No how to get used to when to shift, is kind of different for each person. But, for now, where you regularly shift, is where you would. Let's say that's 3k. So you hit 3k RPM, and take your foot off the gas. As you take your foot off the gas, slide the shift out of gear. Now each car is a bit different, so you might have to shift faster or maybe a bit slower. But the key is to try to get the car back in gear around the same range you usually would. So, let's say that's 2k. Slip the shifter out (going into) neutral at 3k, and then as the RPM's fall to somewhere near 2k (or the place you would normally watch the tach fall as you put the car back in gear (with clutch, for the record) pull or push the shifter into your next gear.
I'll outline it at the end of the post, but I'm off to bed. Hit me up tomorrow or via PM if I confuse you. Start off by driving as you usually would, but make note of where the RPMs are when you're shifting WITH THE CLUTCH. All you're doing, by following my instructions, are using the gas as your clutch. Now, do the same without the clutch. "Simple as that!" ;)

-From a dead stop, let the clutch out as usual and drive down the street. It's probably best to try this in an empty parking lot.

-You listen to the motor, and notice the RPM's approach 3k. As you get to 3k, let off the gas and slide the shifter into neutral.

-Your RPM's probably won't drop extremely fast like a truck, but be alert (doing this; it's ALL ABOUT THE RPM's!!!). As you near the sweet spot, around 2-2500rpm, gently push the shift into second gear. If you don't get it, just tap the accelerator and try again. Do not force the shifter in- that's where you will damage something.

Once you learn that, just repeat going into 3rd and 4th.
For now, I'll just tell you the up-shifting. Once you understand that, I'll teach you down shifting.
Good luck!

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2008, 09:06:56 PM »
MB 300E

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2008, 09:42:53 PM »
Are you kidding? that's like a f-ing model-T, right?

Yep.  and if you have never done it before it is dangerous as hell.  It kicks back and if you don't let go your arm would easily break.  I remember I was with one of the cheerleaders and we were driving down by the beach.  I ended up at a red light which was a very steep hill.  I had never been in this situation before.  I had just turned 16.  This car sat so low you could hang your arm out the top of the door and your fingers could reach the ground.  Anyway, a biker dude pulled right up behind me within inches.  I knew what was going to happen.  I revved the motor up and tried to let the clutch out but I still rolled back.  It hit his tire and I took off.  I told the girl next to me oh shit!  The guy came along side of me and said hey you fucking asshole kid and spit on me then took off.  there was no way I could catch him  Plus I was about 140 pounds or so and he was a big biker dude on a Harley.  Anyway, I started practicing on hills after that.  That was a cool car.  That grill was $400 back in 1974 or so.  I had to buy part from catalogs.  I bought the whole car from my neighbor for $400.  If you look just above the front license plate you can see the hole where you put that rod to crank the motor.  And the horn button was in the middle of the dash

This pic looks exactly like it  but mine was left hand drive

monstercalves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2008, 10:09:12 PM »
Yep.  and if you have never done it before it is dangerous as hell.  It kicks back and if you don't let go your arm would easily break.  I remember I was with one of the cheerleaders and we were driving down by the beach.  I ended up at a red light which was a very steep hill.  I had never been in this situation before.  I had just turned 16.  This car sat so low you could hang your arm out the top of the door and your fingers could reach the ground.  Anyway, a biker dude pulled right up behind me within inches.  I knew what was going to happen.  I revved the motor up and tried to let the clutch out but I still rolled back.  It hit his tire and I took off.  I told the girl next to me oh shit!  The guy came along side of me and said hey you fucking asshole kid and spit on me then took off.  there was no way I could catch him  Plus I was about 140 pounds or so and he was a big biker dude on a Harley.  Anyway, I started practicing on hills after that.  That was a cool car.  That grill was $400 back in 1974 or so.  I had to buy part from catalogs.  I bought the whole car from my neighbor for $400.  If you look just above the front license plate you can see the hole where you put that rod to crank the motor.  And the horn button was in the middle of the dash

i doubt it would break your arm keith !   ;D

suppose u were only 16 at the time  ;D

roc

• Getbig III
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2008, 10:16:18 PM »
moose i was a monte carlo s.s.person, loved that car drove it to cali and back, i aslo drove a 85 riveria, same body as the eldo, classy car no doubt

capirnakus

• Getbig II
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »
1992 eagle talon turbo and a 1988 supra  t-top turbo. both 5 speeds. talon was fun and fast  and the supra was a p.o.s.  money pit.

Moosejay

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2008, 04:25:20 AM »
Moosejay, you always post cool stuff.  But don't you mean your physique smoked adonis'.  You can't compare the two now.  And I think that is his entire point.  That you might live a little bit for the past.  No offense.

yeah. I know. I am high on opiates these days...prescribed, mind you!

Moosejay

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2008, 04:27:25 AM »

Cool!

What year was tha?

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2008, 04:51:57 AM »

now that's a machine

Moosejay

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2008, 06:50:06 AM »
moose i was a monte carlo s.s.person, loved that car drove it to cali and back, i aslo drove a 85 riveria, same body as the eldo, classy car no doubt

Monte Carlo's are very popular around my way, Roc

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2008, 06:53:59 AM »
I'm not sure you'd have to ask my limo driver :D

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2008, 08:29:57 AM »
Would you like to have that today? :D 

Only for the gas mileage.  Otherwise, the car was a piece of junk.

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2008, 08:31:29 AM »
how many of u yanks can drive a manual car?

BTW do any of u take offense to the term "yank"...?

Both of my current vehicles are standard transmission.  I won't buy anything else.  You get better gas mileage, have better control (especially driving in Colorado mountains and snow) and it is just more fun to drive than an automatic.

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2008, 08:46:37 AM »
Never owned a car and cannot not drive but had my 1st roadbike at 16.

Used to blow off fast cars with 12.5 sec quatermiles and point to the 250 badge to the driver ;D
Arnold For President 2012.2016

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2008, 09:00:35 AM »
Cool!

What year was tha?

My dad bought it for me just before my 16th birthday which would have been in december 1974.  My neighbor was selling it a few houses down.  It had a 4 cylinder twin SU carburator motor in it.  The original.  I ended up blowing up the motor and then selling the car to a friend of mine.  I remember sleeping in it the last night I had it.  He bought with the blown motor and two days later he came driving up to my house and I went outside and he put a 327 small block in it.  it took him 2 days to do that.  That car was unreal fast and sounded so bitchin after he did that.  Those cars in mint condition sell for over $50,000 at auction nowadays.

Moosejay

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2008, 10:01:38 AM »
My dad bought it for me just before my 16th birthday which would have been in december 1974.  My neighbor was selling it a few houses down.  It had a 4 cylinder twin SU carburator motor in it.  The original.  I ended up blowing up the motor and then selling the car to a friend of mine.  I remember sleeping in it the last night I had it.  He bought with the blown motor and two days later he came driving up to my house and I went outside and he put a 327 small block in it.  it took him 2 days to do that.  That car was unreal fast and sounded so bitchin after he did that.  Those cars in mint condition sell for over $50,000 at auction nowadays.

Betcha you'd like toi have that now....