Author Topic: MMA in the Olympics  (Read 1084 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
MMA in the Olympics
« on: August 19, 2008, 03:14:04 AM »
You reckon MMA will have a shot at making the Olympics in the future?

Here's what Dana says about it:

“I hope I’m alive to see it. I don’t think it’s going to happen soon, but then again I thought it was going to take longer than it did for us to get where we are today…. There’s still a lot of work to be done, but seeing mixed martial arts in the Olympics would be incredible…. If you combine boxing, judo and wrestling, what do you have? That’s what mixed martial arts is.”
Z

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Re: MMA in the Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:34:14 AM »
will never happen. period.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 06:46:02 AM »
will never happen. period.

Agreed, they already have boxing, wrestling, judo, taekwondo, so why would they want to get rid of all of those for one medal?

TheIronWarrior

• Getbig II
  • Do you know Meecho?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:18:44 AM »

Agreed, they already have boxing, wrestling, judo, taekwondo, so why would they want to get rid of all of those for one medal?

Spot on.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:40:26 AM »
they already had boxing, wrestling, judo when taekwondo got accepted. and it's only been part of the olympics since 2000.
Z

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 08:52:06 AM »
they already had boxing, wrestling, judo when taekwondo got accepted. and it's only been part of the olympics since 2000.

What is your point? I am saying they aren't going to combine all of the sports to make one.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 09:55:19 AM »
What is your point? I am saying they aren't going to combine all of the sports to make one.

but the final product is something different. mma should be able to hold its own side by side with wrestling, judo etc in the olympics.
Z

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:18:33 AM »
If the sport continues to grow and the mainstream can get over the "shock" factor, it definitely has a chance.  But, it would likely be a much watered down version from what we see in the UFC i.e. bigger gloves, head gear, more rules, etc.
w

gymrat75

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 03:50:48 PM »
I agree, just because they allow MMA into the Olympics does not mean they have to get rid of wrestling, boxing, Taekwondo, ETC...They have a swimming event that involves all the different types of strokes...did this mean they had to eliminate each individual swimming competition to satisify the one event that uses all the different strokes? Absolutely not!

Dball

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 08:58:31 PM »

I wasn't expecting that type of answer.  I think it is it's own sport altogether.

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 09:04:03 PM »
no, one retarded redneck (micheal phelps) is already enough

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 09:41:04 PM »
maybe they should make it legal for swimmers to punch each other before they shoot the gun off to start thier races.

that would be kind of cool !