Author Topic: alex smith loses starting qb job to some no name  (Read 6157 times)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
Re: alex smith loses starting qb job to some no name
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 11:09:22 AM »
Least the tickets are cheap right now.

you said you were rich, right?

so why would ticket price be a problem ;)

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2008, 02:00:57 AM »
I agree... I even put him on one of my fantasy rosters.

:D

:)  Wish I had him.  I had the no. 2 pick in my draft and took AP.  Hope I don't regret it. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2008, 09:31:23 AM »
:)  Wish I had him.  I had the no. 2 pick in my draft and took AP.  Hope I don't regret it. 

Let me guess... LT went number 1!

I always worry about that sophomore slump... It's possible he (AP) really is THAT good, but I tell you... I just couldn't have gone there.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2008, 10:05:53 AM »
Let me guess... LT went number 1!

I always worry about that sophomore slump... It's possible he (AP) really is THAT good, but I tell you... I just couldn't have gone there.

Yep.  LT has to go no. 1. 

I was actually leaning towards Westbrook, but I let a couple guys talk me into AP.  He's the real deal, but I'm concerned about his health.

Who did you have at 2?  Where did you get Gore?   

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 10:07:08 AM »
you said you were rich, right?

so why would ticket price be a problem ;)

E
Lol, I have money because I don't spend it on "lavish" things that others need to make themselves happy or to define themselves. Many people live paycheck to paycheck because they have no idea how to control their finances. So, it's not a problem of cost, it's whether or not the cost is justified.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2008, 12:53:36 PM »
Yep.  LT has to go no. 1. 

I was actually leaning towards Westbrook, but I let a couple guys talk me into AP.  He's the real deal, but I'm concerned about his health.

Who did you have at 2?  Where did you get Gore?  

I had Westbrook number 2... Followed by Addai.

I got Gore as the 8th pick overall. (He should have been gone around 6, but some people went with Brady or Moss.)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2008, 01:09:31 PM »
Lol, I have money because I don't spend it on "lavish" things that others need to make themselves happy or to define themselves. Many people live paycheck to paycheck because they have no idea how to control their finances. So, it's not a problem of cost, it's whether or not the cost is justified.

Vernon Davis had an amazing career at U. Of Maryland. I hope his NFL career takes off.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2008, 01:11:32 PM »
I had Westbrook number 2... Followed by Addai.

I got Gore as the 8th pick overall. (He should have been gone around 6, but some people went with Brady or Moss.)

Gore was a good pick at 8. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 01:14:01 PM »
Ya think?   ::)

Posted: 09/04/2008
Former top overall pick Smith has one year to secure job with 49ers
Associated Press

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- If Alex Smith can't reclaim the San Francisco 49ers' starting quarterback job over the next 17 weeks, he can forget about getting another chance next season.

General manager Scot McCloughan confirmed the harsh realities of NFL salary cap life Wednesday for Smith, the former No. 1 overall draft pick who will begin his fourth pro season Sunday as the backup to journeyman J.T. O'Sullivan. Although the 49ers appear committed to keeping Smith this season, given the meager benefits of cutting him and the minuscule chances of trading him, their largesse won't continue in 2009.

When asked if the 49ers could keep Smith as anything less than the clear-cut starter next year, McCloughan said: "You can't."

"The amount of money we're going to invest in him, he'd have to be proven that he's the guy," McCloughan added. "When we get to the offseason, he'd have to be the guy for next year."

If the 49ers' decision to start O'Sullivan works out, Smith could make a hefty salary just by holding a clipboard this season. Smith also is scheduled to make more than $9 million in base salary next year, with a cap figure over $12 million.

McCloughan acknowledges he was "surprised" last month when O'Sullivan beat out Smith, who was McCloughan's first draft pick with the 49ers three years ago. McCloughan expected Smith to be the Niners' starter Sunday against Arizona, getting the experience and seasoning he would need to be the long-term starter.

But O'Sullivan, the eight-team NFL veteran who spent last year in Detroit with 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz, apparently has a more thorough knowledge of San Francisco's new offense than Smith, who's on his fourth offensive coordinator in four years. O'Sullivan will make his first NFL start against the Cardinals.

"Am I disappointed? Not whatsoever," McCloughan claimed. "I think that you would have gone into this last offseason thinking that our starting quarterback would be (found) on the street. I don't think you'd find one team that would say that. ... We brought a quarterback in that fits the system that we're going to run, and he showed during the offseason and preseason that he was getting better with the system and it was working for him."

Smith is well aware of his predicament and his imminent departure from San Francisco unless he gets the job back. His tense relationship with Nolan in 2007 has largely cooled, and Smith remains publicly positive about his chance to contribute in San Francisco this season.

"I'm ready to do whatever they ask me to do," Smith said recently. "My shoulder feels fine. (I'm) just looking forward to learning all of the offense and playing whatever role I get."

In the first few months since McCloughan's promotion to a nominal position of authority over coach Mike Nolan, the GM has stayed out of coaching decisions such as O'Sullivan's promotion, just as he did over the past three seasons when Nolan had the final say on every decision. McCloughan claims he and Nolan still make personnel decisions together, and they almost never disagree.

The general manager doesn't regret giving $24 million in guaranteed money to Smith despite his middling statistics with one of the NFL's worst offenses over the last three years. McCloughan also insists Smith had a fair chance to win the starting job, contrary to rumors that O'Sullivan got the nod despite doing little to distinguish himself in practice.

"From a pure talent standpoint, I see something different, but that doesn't matter," McCloughan said. "You've got to go out there with the guy who understands the system and knows how to work the system best."

Nolan managed to get a fourth year at the 49ers' helm from owner John York despite a 16-32 record in his first three seasons. Now that McCloughan has the authority to fire the coach who hired him to run the personnel department in 2005, he's making no bold predictions about Nolan's future beyond this season.

"We're all under fire, from the standpoint that we need to win," McCloughan said. "We have not won as many games as we would have liked so far. Not making excuses, we feel this team is talented enough to win. We've got to go out and do it. I wouldn't pinpoint one guy that's under more pressure than another guy. We all work together."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80a7ad15&template=with-video&confirm=true

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 01:27:27 PM »
Lol, now Smith is on the IR list with a broken bone in his shoulder. I me thinks the 9ers are just opening space for a backup.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 11:53:14 AM »
Good job by the no name this weekend. First 9er QB to throw for over 300 yds since 2004.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2008, 12:08:57 PM »
That's sad.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2008, 12:18:27 PM »
Hey at least they got the W.  Maybe they can get to 500 hundred this year.   :-[

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2008, 12:28:26 PM »
It's possible.

and they did get the W.

But 3 years without a 300+ passing day?

Nolan should go back to being a DC

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2008, 12:44:05 PM »
I think you have to look at who has been playing QB since 04:  Tim Rattay, Smith, and Dilfer.  We also had some pretty bad offensive coordinators.   

For the most part, the coach is only as good as his players.  No one accused Belichick of being a genius before Tom Brady became Joe Montana. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2008, 12:47:57 PM »
I think you have to look at who has been playing QB since 04:  Tim Rattay, Smith, and Dilfer.  We also had some pretty bad offensive coordinators.   

For the most part, the coach is only as good as his players.  No one accused Belichick of being a genius before Tom Brady became Joe Montana. 

Looking at a year by itself is something that i agree with in relation to your argument.  But we are talking about 3 years.  The coach and GM are responsible for getting the right players.

I think the problem is, Nolan philosophy.  i.e. a conservative approach to offense that was similar to the Ravens Super Bowl run.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2008, 01:35:41 PM »
Looking at a year by itself is something that i agree with in relation to your argument.  But we are talking about 3 years.  The coach and GM are responsible for getting the right players.

I think the problem is, Nolan philosophy.  i.e. a conservative approach to offense that was similar to the Ravens Super Bowl run.

I would blame Nolan for drafting Alex Smith and not hiring the right offensive coordinator, but he doesn't call the plays.  He inherited a mess with a lousy owner and did an okay job improving the team. 

But I agree he and the GM could have done a better job of getting better players.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2008, 02:07:34 PM »
I would blame Nolan for drafting Alex Smith and not hiring the right offensive coordinator, but he doesn't call the plays.  He inherited a mess with a lousy owner and did an okay job improving the team. 

But I agree he and the GM could have done a better job of getting better players.

He may not call the plays but he does have the final say in the game plan right?  He's conservative in his approach.  Being conservative does not a high scoring offense make.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2008, 02:11:48 PM »
BB,

Doesn't it really make you wonder that with all the experience and knowledge in player evaluation that coach's have that any drafted player, no matter how high, doesn't guarantee they will be a good player?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »
He may not call the plays but he does have the final say in the game plan right?  He's conservative in his approach.  Being conservative does not a high scoring offense make.

I'm sure he approves the game plan, but I doubt he dictates what kind of offense they run or what plays are called (unless it's fourth down).  Three hundred yard passing games aren't necessarily indicative of a high scoring offense.  Could just mean they're always behind, different philosophy, don't have a good running game, etc.  Also, the Bill Walsh Offense (improperly named the "West Coast Offense") doesn't rely on throwing the ball down the field.  It's a short passing game with a balanced running offense.  

If we're talking about 300 yard passing, it would not surprise me that Rattay, Alex Smith, and Dilfer didn't have one.  I doubt Dilfer has many in his entire career.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2008, 02:23:16 PM »
BB,

Doesn't it really make you wonder that with all the experience and knowledge in player evaluation that coach's have that any drafted player, no matter how high, doesn't guarantee they will be a good player?

Yeah mang.  It's a real crapshoot.  You typically get a stud with the first few picks, but you never know how college success or "measurables" will translate in the NFL.  Just look at the 05 draft.  We took Alex Smith at 1, but should have drafted Merriman, who went 12th.

And then when a player doesn't pan out, the teams keep them longer than they should, because the GM and everyone involved in the selection don't want to admit failure. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2008, 03:08:29 PM »
BB,

most knew smith was a huge risk, tom donahoe said that 05 draft was so weak  he would've passed on taking a pick if he was in the lottery that year

he was a system qb with tiny hands, it was a terrible pick and many teams are looking quite foolish right now for making aaron rodgers wait to get picked

E
E

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2008, 03:43:32 PM »
I'm sure he approves the game plan, but I doubt he dictates what kind of offense they run or what plays are called (unless it's fourth down).  Three hundred yard passing games aren't necessarily indicative of a high scoring offense.  Could just mean they're always behind, different philosophy, don't have a good running game, etc.  Also, the Bill Walsh Offense (improperly named the "West Coast Offense") doesn't rely on throwing the ball down the field.  It's a short passing game with a balanced running offense.  

If we're talking about 300 yard passing, it would not surprise me that Rattay, Alex Smith, and Dilfer didn't have one.  I doubt Dilfer has many in his entire career.  

and Dilfer hasn't exactly been considered a good QB either.   But I beg to differ with you on the game plan.  If the head coach doesn't influence the game plan offensively and defensively then what's the point of the job?

I agree about 300 yards passing not being a measuring stick, however, all good offenses have far more 300 passing games then 1 every 3 years.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2008, 03:45:12 PM »
most knew smith was a huge risk, tom donahoe said that 05 draft was so weak  he would've passed on taking a pick if he was in the lottery that year

he was a system qb with tiny hands, it was a terrible pick and many teams are looking quite foolish right now for making aaron rodgers wait to get picked

E

Yep.  I agree.   

We'll see about Aaron Rogers when he plays a real good team.  Although,  he appears to be far better than Smith ever was.  Don't they play Dallas next week?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2008, 03:49:58 PM »
and Dilfer hasn't exactly been considered a good QB either.   But I beg to differ with you on the game plan.  If the head coach doesn't influence the game plan offensively and defensively then what's the point of the job?

I agree about 300 yards passing not being a measuring stick, however, all good offenses have far more 300 passing games then 1 every 3 years.

I agree the head coach influences both sides of the ball.  He has to set the tone for the entire team (all three phases).  What I can't really see is a good head coach who is defensive minded calling plays on offense.  He needs to draft and sign good players, hire a good offensive coordinator, and get out of the way. 

Our offense has been among the worst in the NFL the past three or four years.  (It's remarkable that Gore had 1700 yards rushing a couple years ago.)  Given that it has been so bad, I wouldn't really expect a lot of yards.  I do agree that no 300 yard passing games sounds pretty bad though.   

But hey I see your point:  the buck stops with the head coach.  I agree with that, although he must have the horses to get the job done.