Author Topic: 9-year old kicked out of Little League for being too good  (Read 8675 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
9-year old kicked out of Little League for being too good
« on: August 26, 2008, 07:27:57 AM »

And the pussification of America continues:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/sports/baseball/26youth.html?ref=sports

Too Good to Pitch? 9-Year-Old Is Barred
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 25, 2008

NEW HAVEN (AP) — Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player — too good, it turns out.

The right-handed Scott has a fastball that travels about 40 miles an hour. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that Scott could no longer pitch in the league. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, Scott’s coach, Wilfred Vidro said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they would disband Jericho’s team, redistributing its players among other teams, and offered to refund the $50 sign-up fees. Officials also said that Vidro had resigned.

But Vidro said he did not quit and the team refused to disband. Players and parents protested at the league’s field Saturday, urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

“He’s never hurt any one,” Vidro said. “He’s on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?”

The controversy bothers Jericho, who said he missed pitching.

“I feel sad,” he said. “I feel like it’s all my fault nobody could play.”

Vidro and Jericho’s parents said he was being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league’s administrators.

He instead joined a team that was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when he was barred from pitching.

“I think it’s discouraging when you’re telling a 9-year-old you’re too good at something,” his mother, Nicole Scott, said. “The whole objective in life is to find something you’re good at and stick with it.

“I’d rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner.”

Peter Noble, a lawyer for the league, said the only factor in banning Jericho from pitching was that his pitches were too fast.

“He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower,” Noble said. “There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport.”

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not hit any batters in the coed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but he said that parents expressed safety concerns.

“Facing that kind of speed” is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials said they first told Vidro that Jericho could not pitch after a game Aug. 13. He played second base in the next game, Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

"You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

Moosejay

Re: 9-year old kicked out of Little League for being too good
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:30:52 AM »
Will Vidro is a friend of mine and one hell of a bodybuilder. He made it to WNBF pro level, and won his class a number of times and nealy won the overall at the NPC CT. Tremendous arms.

That is a BS deal.

I hope he ends up on HBO's Real Sports with Gumbel.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 07:33:03 AM »
All chocolate milk.

Seriously though, good job to the moms and dads who are teaching their kids to be pussies and to wimp out instead of improving their play to hit a pitch from this kid.
Squishy face retard

spinnis

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 07:33:15 AM »
Maby he should try bodybuilding insted

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 07:35:04 AM »
All chocolate milk.

Seriously though, good job to the moms and dads who are teaching their kids to be pussies and to wimp out instead of improving their play to hit a pitch from this kid.

I agree with you 100%. 

My daughter's mom is one of those "I can't"  and "well, she doesn't have to do it if she doesn't want to, even though she committed to do it" people and it pisses me the fuck off.     

Where I'm from, you finish what you start.  And if an opponent is better than you, you get better. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 07:37:08 AM »
can't he just move up to the next level?

When i played little league, there were a few hitters and pitchers who were too good for our AAA level (age 10-11 or whatever).

So instead having them hit 5 HRs a game or pitch no-hitters, they moved up to AA level (age 12-13 I believe) and they were suddenly very GOOD players there.

A year there, and they were ready to move up to A ball, which meant they were 12 years old playing with 15 year olds... and they were stars, phenoms, getting plenty of press for it.

instead hitting homers all day off slow 10 year olds, they were playing against high schoolers, and they got more opportunities because of it.

Just move the kids up.  It would be hella boring to go to a little league game and see 1 kid strike out every kid.  Let them have some fun.  If he wants to be a star in baseball, move up to the next level, and stop picking on scrubs all day.

Moosejay

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 07:38:07 AM »

When i played little league, there were a few hitters and pitchers who were too good for our AAA level (age 10-11 or whatever).

So instead having them hit 5 HRs a game or pitch no-hitters, they moved up to AA level (age 12-13 I believe) and they were suddenly very GOOD players there.

A year there, and they were ready to move up to A ball, which meant they were 12 years old playing with 15 year olds... and they were stars, phenoms, getting plenty of press for it.

instead hitting homers all day off slow 10 year olds, they were playing against high schoolers, and they got more opportunities because of it.

Just move the kids up.  It would be hella boring to go to a little league game and see 1 kid strike out every kid.  Let them have some fun.  If he wants to be a star in baseball, move up to the next level, and stop picking on scrubs all day.

Likely true

nicky.smth

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Hugo Chavez looks like hugo chavez
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 07:39:54 AM »

+2x^2

agreed

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 07:42:27 AM »
I agree with you 100%. 

My daughter's mom is one of those "I can't"  and "well, she doesn't have to do it if she doesn't want to, even though she committed to do it" people and it pisses me the fuck off.     

Where I'm from, you finish what you start.  And if an opponent is better than you, you get better
Spoken like an adult.

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 07:44:08 AM »
I agree with you 100%. 

Where I'm from, you finish what you start.  And if an opponent is better than you, you get better. 

You hit the nail on the head

Everyone wants their kids to become lawyers and shit but their attitudes are on the contrary.
Kids should be perseverant, it will come naturally to some than others but they should be encouraged by their family anyway.

Moosejay

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 07:45:37 AM »
You hit the nail on the head

Everyone wants their kids to become lawyers and shit but their attitudes are on the contrary.
Kids should be perseverant, it will come naturally to some than others but they should be encouraged by their family anyway.

I have worked with a big time branding expert, Rob Frankl.

best advice he has ever given me:

Don't Quit.

My best friend /circuit court judge gave me  good advice at gbraduation:

"DFU"= Don't Fuck Up.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 07:54:19 AM »
I agree with you 100%. 

If my kid was playing against him, I'd spend extra time practicing with him.  Simple as that. Everyone expects their little Susie or Johnny to be the shit at all times and when they are not, the system is flawed.  Moms would be worried about their kid's emotions and possibly safety and dads just wouldn't want their kid to look stupid.
Squishy face retard

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 07:59:03 AM »
thats the way of these people
w

The Coach

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 08:05:08 AM »

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW HAVEN (AP) — Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player — too good, it turns out.

The right-handed Scott has a fastball that travels about 40 miles an hour. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that Scott could no longer pitch in the league. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, Scott’s coach, Wilfred Vidro said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they would disband Jericho’s team, redistributing its players among other teams, and offered to refund the $50 sign-up fees. Officials also said that Vidro had resigned.

But Vidro said he did not quit and the team refused to disband. Players and parents protested at the league’s field Saturday, urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

“He’s never hurt any one,” Vidro said. “He’s on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?”

The controversy bothers Jericho, who said he missed pitching.

“I feel sad,” he said. “I feel like it’s all my fault nobody could play.”

Vidro and Jericho’s parents said he was being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league’s administrators.

He instead joined a team that was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when he was barred from pitching.

“I think it’s discouraging when you’re telling a 9-year-old you’re too good at something,” his mother, Nicole Scott, said. “The whole objective in life is to find something you’re good at and stick with it.

“I’d rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner.”

Peter Noble, a lawyer for the league, said the only factor in banning Jericho from pitching was that his pitches were too fast.

“He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower,” Noble said. “There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport
.”

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not hit any batters in the coed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but he said that parents expressed safety concerns.

“Facing that kind of speed” is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials said they first told Vidro that Jericho could not pitch after a game Aug. 13. He played second base in the next game, Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

"You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

This attorney is a complete idiot. Even the kid that's good is in the developmental stages, he just progressed faster than the other kids. My suggestion to the parents is to get their kid some individual coaching be it hitting, pitching, fielding or catching. On the other hand if I were the parent of that kid, I'd yank him out of that league in a heartbeat and stick him in a travel ball league where the players are recruited onto a team or scouted.

Parents are turning kids into a bunch of pussies nowadays by being over protective when it comes to sports.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 08:46:32 AM »
I know when I played ball when I was 12 or so there would be pitchers throwing curves and hard fastballs from the inner city.  My dad took me to the batting cage and had me go to the fastest cage.  Pretty soon the fastest pitchers were not so fast.  I thank my dad for not being a fucking pussy and just throw in the towel like those poor excuse for parents.  What's next?  "Fuck school it's too hard",  "Fuck a job it's too hard"?  They are not doing these fag kids any favors by walking away from a challenge.

The Coach

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 08:54:40 AM »
On a side note, I think that coaches and parents who allow and teach kids to throw just is as close to child abuse as one can get....nothing pisses me off more :(

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 09:11:03 AM »

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

40 mph is not fast at all.  Wonder why they said he pitched to fast. 

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 09:13:20 AM »
40 mph is not fast at all.  Wonder why they said he pitched to fast. 

Because the other 9 year olds are pitching 20 MPH....

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 09:14:42 AM »
All chocolate milk.

funny

Moosejay

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 09:14:50 AM »
On a side note, I think that coaches and parents who allow and teach kids to throw just is as close to child abuse as one can get....nothing pisses me off more :(

Yes...fucking curveballs at the age of 12...and Tommy John surgery at 17

Great plan

I would not change a thing.... :-\

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 09:17:12 AM »

lol

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 09:24:14 AM »

It's possible that I did not end up with a career in baseball because my dad wouldn't let me throw my curveball, which was my dominant pitch at the time.  I'm not going to say that I was the best in the state or anything, but even at the age of 10, I knew it was nasty. 

Life has turned out ok, but maybe it would've been a little bit sweeter if I was playing in the Big Show.   ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 09:39:58 AM »

Good call

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 10:09:16 AM »
It's possible that I did not end up with a career in baseball because my dad wouldn't let me throw my curveball, which was my dominant pitch at the time.  I'm not going to say that I was the best in the state or anything, but even at the age of 10, I knew it was nasty. 

Life has turned out ok, but maybe it would've been a little bit sweeter if I was playing in the Big Show.   ;D

10 years old and throwing a curve? Are you sure that wasn't a Wiffle Ball..lol.  J/K.  You would have never made it if you started that young.  Arm would have been screwed.  I think 16 is a good age to start an advanced plan in pitching. 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 10:12:23 AM »

What if all the kid can do is pitch well.it would suck for him to sit the rest of the time because he can't hit or field at that level.
parents are pussies today.how often does this kid pitch.the kids will face him maybe once or twice a year? kids should deal with it.
I guess Mariano Rivera shouldn't be allowed to close games for the Yanks because major league hitters can't hit his cutter ::)