Author Topic: Five greatest breakthrough moments in MMA history.  (Read 1739 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Five greatest breakthrough moments in MMA history.
« on: September 09, 2008, 10:23:33 AM »
I found this article on Sherdog, check it out!

"No moment stands out more than when a fighter distinguishes himself as a true force with which to be reckoned, having blossomed beyond the world of contenders and prospects.

We take a look back at the five greatest breakthrough moments in MMA history. "

5. Matt Hughes vs. Hayato "Mach" Sakurai

In his first bout as welterweight champion, Hughes faced a skeptical public after taking the title from Carlos Newton in bizarre fashion at UFC 34. Having a title handed to you after passing out from a triangle choke will not endear you to many fans. Going into his March 2002 bout against Sakurai -- whom UFC analyst Jeff Osborne described as “a legend in his own time” -- at UFC 36, Hughes looked more like a placeholder than a champion.

Once the final bell rang, the only question that remained revolved around whether or not anyone could stop Hughes. He neutralized Sakurai’s considerable offensive arsenal with what has become his trademark ground-and-pound style.

In beating Sakurai, Hughes lived up to the personal creed UFC announcer Mike Goldberg shared with the world. “Anyone can win the title,” Goldberg said. “I think it takes someone special to defend the title.” That provided a nice foreshadowing for the success Hughes has enjoyed in the UFC, as he has gone on to rack up eight successful title defenses spread over two reigns.

None were more significant than his victory over Sakurai, upon which he built the foundation for one of the greatest runs in UFC history.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Fve greatest breakthrough moments in MMA history.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 10:24:31 AM »
4. Forrest Griffin vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua

The UFC probably had designs on a blockbuster rematch between Rua and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson before the ink had dried on the contract for the Brazilian’s promotional debut in September 2007 against Griffin. Sure, the UFC hoped Griffin, a charismatic alumnus of “The Ultimate Fighter,” would someday develop into a champion, but losses to Tito Ortiz and Keith Jardine had tempered expectations.

Most viewed Griffin as a stepping stone for Rua, who had left a trail of crushed egos in his wake in Pride Fighting Championships. The trend seemed all but certain to continue at Griffin’s expense, but no one could calculate the underdog’s will.

Over the course of three rounds, Griffin chipped away at Rua’s resolve and took his own licks with the sort of masochistic glee that’s as disturbing as it is captivating. In the final moments of the bout, Griffin coaxed the tapout from Rua with a rear naked choke and finally experienced that moment of unadulterated glory for which he had toiled so hard.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:25:33 AM »
3. Takanori Gomi vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri

Choke artist. Those were two words cynical observers attached to Pride Bushido poster boy Gomi, an undeniably talented lightweight who entered his tilt with Kawajiri having come up on the short end in the biggest bouts of his career.

Two and a half years of favorable matchmaking certainly did not strengthen Gomi’s reputation, and the consensus seemed to be that Kawajiri would be the one to corral his Shooto predecessor and give the Bushido circuit a champion who truly deserved such status.

By the end of the hotly anticipated contest in September 2005, Bushido did have a champion who had earned the right to wear gold, but it was Gomi who made Kawajiri look like a choke artist with a dominant showing that launched him to the top of the division.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 10:27:19 AM »

2. Fedor Emelianenko vs. Heath Herring

People today make it sound as though Emelianenko has been the best heavyweight fighter in the world since the dawn of mankind. However, there was a time when the Russian’s existence was privileged information, reserved for those with access to the underground network of tape traders and fight merchants.

Thankfully, Pride stepped up and rescued Emelianenko after the Rings promotion collapsed. While his promotional debut against Semmy Schilt was a ho-hum affair, Emelianenko’s second fight under the Pride banner in November 2002 captured the imagination and attention of the MMA world.

Herring was viewed as a stiff test for any heavyweight -- a rugged, skilled veteran with surprising versatility and an endless reserve of moxie. Still, Herring barely survived the opening stanza with his stoic Russian foe, as Emelianenko turned the American’s face into a morbid mess, adorned by a ground-and-pound drubbing that echoed through the cavernous Tokyo Dome.

On that evening, MMA christened its own Jack Johnson, an improbable mesh of talent and technique that seemed out of place when compared to his lagging contemporaries.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Five greatest breakthrough moments in MMA history.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 10:28:14 AM »
1. Randy Couture vs. Vitor Belfort

It was supposed to be uglier than a Roseanne Barr spread in a Victoria’s Secret Catalog. Belfort was MMA’s answer to Mike Tyson, an unstoppable boogeyman in the cage, a genetic mutation of Darwinian proportions. Many wondered if it would take Belfort more than a minute to take out Couture in their October 1997 encounter at UFC 15.

A lamb was led to slaughter, but the lamb turned out to be Belfort. His trademark thunderbolt punches meant nothing to Couture, who closed the distance early, mauled Belfort in close quarters, picked his spots and outboxed the Brazilian in jaw-dropping fashion.

UFC announcer Bruce Beck said, “The Phenom’s run has been derailed … temporarily.” Belfort was never the same after that night. Couture has become synonymous with the sport. Not bad for a wrestler who was supposed to be more Frank Bruno than Lennox Lewis.

Z

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:02:13 AM »
That list sucks,

Mine would look like this (in no particular order):

Big Nog vs. Bob Sapp- the first time we really got a good look at Nog's chin,heart, and skills.

Anderson Silva vs. Chris Leben- I remember having numerous conversations with various TUF nuthuggers that were saying Leben would kill that nobody.  Anderson came,saw, conquered and hasn't lost since, now all the nuthuggers know his name.

Cro-cop vs. Wandy/Barnett- Cro-cop has been on a slump since then, but that night he was unstoppable and he let everyone he was for real.

Randy Couture vs. Father Time- His fight against Tito was supposed to be his swan song, and he was supposed to lose.  Ever since then he's been defying the odds and proving people (and father time) wrong.

Bj Penn vs. Matt Hughes 1- Matt Hughes, riding a 14 fight win streak, came into the fight not only confident, but cocky as he said, "It would be embarrassing to lose to a lighter guy", "he can't even win at his own weight".  Bj "embarrassed" Matt that night in his 170 lb debut.

There is so many, it really isn't fair to put into just 5 moments, but really only two of those moments belong on that list.

Predictions
 40/61

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 11:46:58 AM »
I agree with Big Nog vs. Bob Sapp- that was a brutal match.

I would also add Nog Vs Fedor- their first encounter. Both Bas and Quadros were trying to get some on screen controversy going but during their pre-fight interview both fighters were very humble and spoke very positively about each other. Great match

When Liddell made his appearance on Pride FC- that was huge.

Fedor Vs Crocop - it was delayed a couple of times but finally happened.

Liddell Vs Ortiz - first encounter.

Anderson Silva Vs Rich Franklin - first encounter

Too many moments to list.

I figure everyone will have their own list of favorite fights/moments for different reasons  so there will never be a universal top 5 list

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 12:47:57 PM »
I'll try looking for these fights online. Kind of a useless thread if there are no videos.

No time to search for it right now.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 01:29:50 PM »
 I did try to find them on Youtube to add to the post but no luck, it's kinda weird cause there's plenty of fights there (even with some of the fighters mentioned) but just not those particular ones...
Z

Logan32

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 01:47:23 PM »
I'll try looking for these fights online. Kind of a useless thread if there are no videos.

No time to search for it right now.

Tough to find videos Zuffa forces people to take them down pretty quickly.... 

Dball

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 03:56:38 PM »
I agree with dreadlord about Anderson vs Rich volume one.  That night changed the mind of the world about Anderson.  Rich is easily the 2nd best middleweight in the UFC, but the margin is large.

What about Ken vs Dan Sevrn? BJ vs Gomi?

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 08:58:32 PM »
I agree with dreadlord about Anderson vs Rich volume one.  That night changed the mind of the world about Anderson.  Rich is easily the 2nd best middleweight in the UFC, but the margin is large.

What about Ken vs Dan Sevrn? BJ vs Gomi?

How about Don Frye Vs mark Coleman - first encounter?

Dball

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 09:53:08 PM »
How about Don Frye Vs mark Coleman - first encounter?

Wow, I forgot about that.  Eleven minutes of fury. That's back when Mark looked unbeatable.  Frye vs shamrock and then later vs Takayama were damn amazing bouts.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 10:25:37 PM »
Wow, I forgot about that.  Eleven minutes of fury. That's back when Mark looked unbeatable.  Frye vs shamrock and then later vs Takayama were damn amazing bouts.

Agreed.

Don Frye was on a winning streak until Coleman put a stop to it. I remember that one tournament where mark Coleman won (Ultimate Ultimate??)because all the other fighters were injured and no one was there to face him at the final.

Vitor Belforts first few fights (until he faced Randy) were fast and furious as well. His  knockout of Wandy will be on highlight reels for years to come.

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 09:07:32 AM »
Wand/Sak 1

Nuff said

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 03:16:37 PM »
Page vs. Wand..

I also loved BJ vs. JEns #1 when BJ was coming in as the kid with heavy hands!