Author Topic: Galveston Residents Told To Get Out Or Face Death As Ike Approaches  (Read 1241 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Galveston Residents Told To Get Out
...Or Face Death As Ike Approaches

Friday September 12, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

Photo credit: Scott Olson/Getty Images

Residents of Galveston, Texas have received an urgent and ominous warning as those along the Gulf of Mexico coast await the arrival of Hurricane Ike: get out or face death.

The National Weather Service said citizens of the Texan town could "face certain death" should they choose to hunker down and try to ride out the storm expected to hit the U.S. late Friday or early Saturday. The majority of people in the area have heeded the evacuation call, but considering the traffic gridlock created by people trying to avoid Ike's projected path, authorities told Houston residents to get prepared and stay put. Thousands flooded grocery stores and gas bars Friday to stock up on supplies.

By Friday afternoon large waves, measuring about five metres, smashed against Galveston's seawall, sloshing onto some streets. Ike, currently a Category 2 system packing sustained winds of up to 169 kilometres per hour, has the potential to whip up 50-metre waves.

Galveston was devastated by the deadliest hurricane to ever hit the U.S. back in 1900 when a brutal storm killed at least 6,000 people. That was before mandatory evacuation orders and before a seawall was built to protect the barrier island.

The U.S. National Weather Service didn't start naming hurricanes until the 1950s.

Ike's progress has been closely monitored by the oil and gas industry and the storm threatens to damage some of the United States' largest facilities, which represent about one fifth of American refining capacity. Many platforms have been shut down and Canadians are already feeling the pinch as gas prices rose to near-record levels in the GTA Friday.

Track Ike's progress here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a look some notable hurricanes that have hit Texas since the devastating storm of 1900:

Sept. 24, 2005: Rita hits along Texas-Louisiana border; 110 deaths, most during the evacuation. Damages: $4.7 billion.
Aug. 18, 1983: Alicia hits Galveston-Houston; 21 dead. Damages: $2 billion.
Sept. 11, 1961: Carla hits Port O'Connor-Galveston-Houston; 34 dead. Damages: $300 million
Sept. 4, 1933: Brownsville hit; 40 dead. Damages: $16.9 million.
Aug. 13, 1932: Velasco (Freeport) hit; 40 dead. Damages: $7.5 million.
Sept. 14, 1919: South of Corpus Christi hit; 284 dead. Damages: $20.3 million.
Aug. 18, 1916: Corpus Christi hit; 20 dead. Damages: $1.6 million.
Aug. 16, 1915: Galveston hit; 375 dead. Damages: More than $56 million, most to crops.
July 21, 1909: Velasco (Freeport) hit; 41 dead. Damages: at least $2 million.
Sept. 8, 1900: Galveston hit; more than 6,000 dead. Damages: $30 million to $40 million. Deadliest natural disaster in U.S. history.

w

Cardfan

• Getbig III
Re: Galveston Residents Told To Get Out Or Face Death As Ike Approaches
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 08:07:58 PM »
Yes this is obviously a republican storm. How dare they. You are a great American for blaming the conservatives that made this weather injure the poor. How can I help you further destroy the right? I know they all suck W's ass.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:10:04 PM »
Yes this is obviously a republican storm. How dare they. You are a great American for blaming the conservatives that made this weather injure the poor. How can I help you further destroy the right? I know they all suck W's ass.

??? WTF?  dumbass  :-\
w

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 08:24:39 PM »
??? WTF?  dumbass  :-\

Stella thinks cardfan is a stray billy-goat who has internet access this weekend.  Must be out in Texas.

Cardfan

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 08:26:02 PM »
Are you really that stupid???????? This has no business on the politics board dummy.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 08:39:05 PM »
Are you really that stupid???????? This has no business on the politics board dummy.

Global Warming / Climate change and the intensified storms it causes qualifies. Are you that illiterate?   ;)

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=112411.msg1622948#msg1622948
w

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 08:56:23 PM »

Yes, she is but she's jumping in gleee since gas prices will go back up and she may be able to shuffle some gas pills out the doors to unsuspecting mail order victims.

Cardfan

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:13:37 PM »
Global Warming / Climate change and the intensified storms it causes qualifies. Are you that illiterate?   ;)

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=112411.msg1622948#msg1622948
You are the kind of person we laugh at on the golf course. Now I get to laugh at you in my own home. Illiterate? Really? Where'd you go to school?

Alex23

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:16:20 PM »
jaguarenterprises, rumor is you're a tornado in bed.

Can you comment on this?

Cardfan

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 09:20:03 PM »
if ya repeat it enough it becomes true!!!!

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 10:11:26 PM »
jaguarenterprises, rumor is you're a tornado in bed.

Can you comment on this?

It's been confirmed by Heraldo that her queefs have disrupted the earth's wind patterns, causing tornados

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 10:13:29 PM »
It's been confirmed by Heraldo that her queefs have disrupted the earth's wind patterns, causing tornados

LOL  ;D

Cardfan

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 10:36:57 PM »
Nothing from the other side?????? weak  ass libs.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 10:54:43 PM »
Yes, she is but she's jumping in gleee since gas prices will go back up and she may be able to shuffle some gas pills out the doors to unsuspecting mail order victims.

Victims?!

I'll have you know these are some of the happiest victims you'll ever hear from.
But you don't have to take MY word for it, ...when you can hear from the 'so-called victims' for yourselves.  8)
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 11:11:49 PM »
You are the kind of person we laugh at on the golf course. Now I get to laugh at you in my own home. Illiterate? Really? Where'd you go to school?

Cardfan,
Truth is, ...if you were on the golf course with me, ...you'd be so busy taking cover, there'd be no time to laugh
I'm no Tiger Woods  :-[    Whether I drive, ...or whether I putt, there's just no telling where that ball will end up.
But I do look mighty cute in a little golf skirt.  :P
w

Cardfan

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 11:14:08 PM »
Cardfan,
Truth is, ...if you were on the golf course with me, ...you'd be so busy taking cover, there'd be no time to laugh
I'm no Tiger Woods  :-[    Whether I drive, ...or whether I putt, there's just no telling where that ball will end up.
But I do look mighty cute in a little golf skirt.  :P
Hahahaha. That's too funny. I had no idea you were a chick. Sorry.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 11:26:15 PM »

huh,  ??? she just told you she's swinging a club around.

lol

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 11:29:50 PM »

Moi, ...a chick?! Nah, ...I'm just a transvestite  ;D  ...either that, ...or you're illiterate.  ;)    8)
w

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 09:00:09 AM »
Galveston Residents Told To Get Out
...Or Face Death As Ike Approaches

Friday September 12, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

Photo credit: Scott Olson/Getty Images

Residents of Galveston, Texas have received an urgent and ominous warning as those along the Gulf of Mexico coast await the arrival of Hurricane Ike: get out or face death.

I'm often reminded just how stupid people are, just how clueless they are, and just how helpless they are, by major natural disasters. I'm speaking mostly of the current hurricanes in this case.

For example, Galveston TX. The population is told in no uncertain terms "get out." Many people decide to stay. I'm actually fine with that, but if you decide to stay, freakin' prepare for it!

Before the storm I hear a reporter on NPR talking to someone who said he was not leaving. The reporter asked him what he has done to prepare, and he said "I got a few cans of tuna and a gallon of water."

"Christ on a stick what a moron" I thought. So thousands of people like this bone head decide to stay, are totally unprepared, and put their own lives in danger (which is their right), which created a huge man power drain as the National Guard, and all manner of other first responders have to put their lives in danger to go find these people and rescue them.

Others talked about all the stuff they lost. Heard one women talking about all her heirlooms lost when 3 ft of water came in her home, but everything on the second floor was fine! If you know there's a major storm surge coming (and they did) and you have enough notice (which they did) move your sh*& you don't want destroyed to the second floor! It's not rocket science...unless your house is literally ripped off it's foundation - which could happen - you will have greatly increased the probability of your stuff coming through the storm undamaged. If the water makes it all the way up to your second floor, you're screwed, but at least you tried...

If you decide to stay during a storm, be prepared! Have at least enough food, water, and supplies for a week or more for the number of people that are staying. Candles, blankets, radio, etc, etc.*

If you live in an area where a major storm is not a matter of if, but when, why would you not have all this stuff on hand at all times? Again, I am reminded how clueless and helpless people seem to have become when there's a big rush to the food stores and hardware stores and such literally the day before the storm shows up!

What are these people thinking? (a) they are simply in total denial how bad the storm might be (b) they are thinking "if it's really bad, the government will save me!" are the only two lines of thought I can come up with, and neither bode well...

Now I live in New England. We don't get hurricanes too often, but we do get major winter storms which can knock out power, burst water pipes, knock down trees, etc. I keep pretty much everything I need to stay in my house or at least a week, probably longer if I had to, without any outside help. None of this stuff is expensive or difficult to find.

A few years ago we had a major ice storm that literally brought the region to a total stop, with power down, roads closed, state of emergency declared, etc. Much of the drama and costs were emergency workers trying to get to people who had not prepared in the least for a storm they knew well in advance was coming! Me, I had food, water, candles, gas cans filled for cooking on grill, wood for fire place, etc, etc, and other then being bored silly, was perfectly fine.

Has the ability of American's to take care of themselves in basic emergencies - much less truly unexpected emergencies - all but gone? It never fails to amaze me just how clueless people are when it comes to dealing with these issues and they greatly compound the problems of storms and other disasters by being so damn stupid. Sorry, but that's how I feel about it.

I'm no survivalist, I am not some special forces type either, just a person who realizes some preparation and a little common sense goes a long way, and if you live in an area that has natural disasters (hurricanes, earth quakes, blizzards, etc, etc) which more or less covers the entire country (hint, hint) either listen to the local authorities when they tell to pack up and get the hell out of Dodge, or take steps to prepare for it. Is that too much to ask?

Rant off!

* = personally I would always add a means of self defense to that list, but you can make that judgment call for yourself.