Author Topic: Need your help, ladies.  (Read 2899 times)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
Need your help, ladies.
« on: September 13, 2008, 07:52:03 PM »
Ok, I have a female friend who is woefully ignorant of proper weight loss, dieting, and exercise.  She's trying to lose weight by eating barely 600 cals per day of god-knows-what and I think she's fallen into the classic "cut calories/cut weight mentality.

I was hoping some of you could come up with some simple, easy to understand, web resources that I could point out to her.  Unfortunately she doesn't exercise like most of us getbiggers (maybe once or twice a week) so whatever I show her needs to focus mostly on dieting for weight loss. 

Oh, and she's still terrified of lifting weights for being "masculine," but she still wants to "tone."  She still can't seem to make that connection. ::)

Thanks!!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: Need your help, ladies.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 07:39:59 AM »
Ok, I have a female friend who is woefully ignorant of proper weight loss, dieting, and exercise.  She's trying to lose weight by eating barely 600 cals per day of god-knows-what and I think she's fallen into the classic "cut calories/cut weight mentality.
I was hoping some of you could come up with some simple, easy to understand, web resources that I could point out to her.  Unfortunately she doesn't exercise like most of us getbiggers (maybe once or twice a week) so whatever I show her needs to focus mostly on dieting for weight loss. 

Oh, and she's still terrified of lifting weights for being "masculine," but she still wants to "tone."  She still can't seem to make that connection. ::)

Thanks!!

These are the basics of weight loss, in the end it is what it takes. 

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=179383.0

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
There are a lot of threads on this board related to dieting, getting started, basic training plans, why women should lift weights, etc.  Scroll through the last 4-5 pages of threads on this board.  :)

I think a good possibility for her may be joining  Weight Watchers.  It definitely works if you learn how to do it and stick to the points system, and it teaches you how to put together balanced meals that can help you lose weight.

I posted this somewhere else as a basic starting diet...
I would recommend starting by constructing a diet that is relatively SIMPLE.  Keep it basic!!  It makes it easier to follow.  Don't worry so much about counting calories, and focus more on healthy food combinations at least for starters.

---6 or 7 small meals spaced out evenly throughout the day.
---Breakfast is a MUST.  Breakfast jump starts the metabolism and gets the body burning calories early in the day.  It would be a good idea to do some cardio before breakfast if possible.
---Proteins should be LEAN (chicken breast, turkey, egg whites, fish, occasional lean red meat)
---Carbs should be "good" carbs - NO refined sugar and minimize dairy (skim milk only) - stick with things like oatmeal and sweet potatoes or brown rice for complex carbs. 
One or two servings of complex carbs per day (maybe three depending on how much activity she's doing), and then veggies can be eaten freely without any concern about quantity.  Put the complex carbs early in the day, like breakfast and lunch.
---Stick to low cal sauces and salad dressings...avoid things like BBQ sauce or cream based dressings.  Go for things like lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and spices like Mrs. Dash.
---FATS should be "good" fats, and they are essential in the diet.  Nuts, avocados, and omega egg yolks are all sources of healthy fats.

Here's a sample that you could use to modify based on her eating preferences and other lifestyle issues
She could do a meal replacement or protein shake for one of the meals later in the day if she wants to, but it should be a relatively clean protein, like whey or something without a ton of carbs in it.

1.  Breakfast - 1/2 cup oatmeal and 4 or 5 eggwhites (one omega yolk would be fine too)
2.  apple with 1 TBSP natural Peanut butter (peanuts should be the only ingredient)
3.  Lunch - Chicken breast on salad with LF dressing (I usually use 1 tbsp LF dressing mixed with lemon juice and vinegar); 1/2 avocado can be added to the salad.
4.  Tuna or other lean protein with 4 rice cakes and carrot/celery sticks (a small potatoe or 1 cup brown rice could be substituted for the rice cakes)
5.  Dinner - chicken/fish with veggies (brocolli, asparagus, whatever); another option is an eggwhite omlette with veggies
6.  Veggies as needed; raw almonds (a couple handfuls) or 1 Tbsp peanut butter

There are lots of ways to mix and match, but just try to stick to the basic elements of dieting...no sugar, minimal dairy, eat veggies whenever hungry, eat throughout the day, minimize carbs late in the day.
That's a good way to start, and then you can adjust the diet and training as necessary to get results.

Two other essential elements - PATIENCE and CONSISTENCY.  Nothing happens overnight.

:)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 10:11:45 AM »
There are a lot of threads on this board related to dieting, getting started, basic training plans, why women should lift weights, etc.  Scroll through the last 4-5 pages of threads on this board.  :)

I think a good possibility for her may be joining  Weight Watchers.  It definitely works if you learn how to do it and stick to the points system, and it teaches you how to put together balanced meals that can help you lose weight.

I posted this somewhere else as a basic starting diet...
I would recommend starting by constructing a diet that is relatively SIMPLE.  Keep it basic!!  It makes it easier to follow.  Don't worry so much about counting calories, and focus more on healthy food combinations at least for starters.

---6 or 7 small meals spaced out evenly throughout the day.
---Breakfast is a MUST.  Breakfast jump starts the metabolism and gets the body burning calories early in the day.  It would be a good idea to do some cardio before breakfast if possible.
---Proteins should be LEAN (chicken breast, turkey, egg whites, fish, occasional lean red meat)
---Carbs should be "good" carbs - NO refined sugar and minimize dairy (skim milk only) - stick with things like oatmeal and sweet potatoes or brown rice for complex carbs. 
One or two servings of complex carbs per day (maybe three depending on how much activity she's doing), and then veggies can be eaten freely without any concern about quantity.  Put the complex carbs early in the day, like breakfast and lunch.
---Stick to low cal sauces and salad dressings...avoid things like BBQ sauce or cream based dressings.  Go for things like lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and spices like Mrs. Dash.
---FATS should be "good" fats, and they are essential in the diet.  Nuts, avocados, and omega egg yolks are all sources of healthy fats.

Here's a sample that you could use to modify based on her eating preferences and other lifestyle issues
She could do a meal replacement or protein shake for one of the meals later in the day if she wants to, but it should be a relatively clean protein, like whey or something without a ton of carbs in it.

1.  Breakfast - 1/2 cup oatmeal and 4 or 5 eggwhites (one omega yolk would be fine too)
2.  apple with 1 TBSP natural Peanut butter (peanuts should be the only ingredient)
3.  Lunch - Chicken breast on salad with LF dressing (I usually use 1 tbsp LF dressing mixed with lemon juice and vinegar); 1/2 avocado can be added to the salad.
4.  Tuna or other lean protein with 4 rice cakes and carrot/celery sticks (a small potatoe or 1 cup brown rice could be substituted for the rice cakes)
5.  Dinner - chicken/fish with veggies (brocolli, asparagus, whatever); another option is an eggwhite omlette with veggies
6.  Veggies as needed; raw almonds (a couple handfuls) or 1 Tbsp peanut butter

There are lots of ways to mix and match, but just try to stick to the basic elements of dieting...no sugar, minimal dairy, eat veggies whenever hungry, eat throughout the day, minimize carbs late in the day.
That's a good way to start, and then you can adjust the diet and training as necessary to get results.

Two other essential elements - PATIENCE and CONSISTENCY.  Nothing happens overnight.

Excellent.. thanks Rip!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 04:17:01 AM »
No worries.  I really do think that Weight Watchers may be a good program for her to consider.  It might get her motivated to exercise too!

:)

CHEVEN

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 05:54:49 AM »
I've seen alot of good results from the weight watchers program. And its not hard to stick too. My girl used it and found it very easy to stick too. It freaked her out at first to see my diet when I was getting ready for a show and it almost traumatized her.