Author Topic: Weird lower back injury from leg press machine....need analysis and advice...  (Read 14909 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
So I was doing leg presses and I don't know what happened; maybe I arched my back but all of a sudden I had an excruciating pain in my lower back. Now the leg press is not an angled one, but looks like a car seat and you can adjust how crunched up your legs are from the start position; I do it so I start as if I were at the bottom of a squat, going up. I don't know exactly what happened; can anyone offer any insight? Will be doing leg extensions instead tommorow for obvious reasons (still have back pain)...

Thanks, D.
I hate the State.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
So I was doing leg presses and I don't know what happened; maybe I arched my back but all of a sudden I had an excrutiating pain in my lower back. Now the leg press is not an angled one, but looks like a car seat and you can adjust how crunched up your legs are from the start position; I do it so I start as if I were at the bottom of a squat, going up. I don't know exactly what happened; can anyone offer any insight? Will be doing leg extensions instead tommorow for obvious reasons (still have back pain)...

Thanks, D.

If you have pain, don't workout.

Go see a doc, it's for free where you are.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
If you have pain, don't workout.

Go see a doc, it's for free where you are.

Yeah and shitty...everything they said about NHS is true.  :'(
I hate the State.

DK II

• Getbig V
Yeah and shitty...everything they said about NHS is true.  :'(

Well, "You get what you pay for"...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Well, "You get what you pay for"...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sooooo De Su Neeeeeeeeeeee........... .
I hate the State.

DK II

• Getbig V
Sooooo De Su Neeeeeeeeeeee........... .

やっぱりそうだな。

;D

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
Rub some Franzbrandtwein on it and you're fine.
Btw, crutches are pretty cheap nowadays and come in awesome colors :D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
That back pain may be anything from a ligament/tendon, muscle, nerve or disk problem. It really does not take much of an effort to damage any one of these. Give it some resting time (prefer a couple of weeks) before doing any serious compound leg work. Leg extensions, or even sissy squats, should be OK for now. Try some heating/cold pads on it or a good sports lotion/rub.

Some American think NHC is the answer over here. Wild about the socialized medicine thing and all that. With 320 million Americans (and a under estimated 20 million illegal's from Mexico alone)  it would be way too costly to handle. Unless we want a tax level like England and Sweden, which seems to be drawing mounting concerns to their whole national structure...going broke.

Our great white neighbor to the north (Canada) has a socialized system  but with a much smaller population base. But it is still a hurry up and wait process. Seeing a medical professional may take months in advance. People in Canada who can afford it, come to the U.S. for any emergency treatments or operations. Even the Arabian oil sheiks come over here for operations (using quite a few Jewish doctor by the way). A lot of the uninsured here, that people running for elective office are shouting about, are illegals who should be back in their own country anyway. Looking for the U.S. free lunch..... again. Good Luck.
F

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
So I was doing leg presses and I don't know what happened; maybe I arched my back but all of a sudden I had an excrutiating pain in my lower back. Now the leg press is not an angled one, but looks like a car seat and you can adjust how crunched up your legs are from the start position; I do it so I start as if I were at the bottom of a squat, going up. I don't know exactly what happened; can anyone offer any insight? Will be doing leg extensions instead tommorow for obvious reasons (still have back pain)...

Thanks, D.

If I would guess your lower back "lifted" from the seat at some point. Keep in mind that the lower back is involved in quite a few exercises, be very picky which exercises you do over the next days (or how long it will take)

Z

laurion

• Getbig III
I'll keep this short and sweet, I believe that I slipped a disc doing t-bars, let it heal about a month then took a year going heavy on the press re injured it and caused more problems and finally went to the doctor and got an MRI.  I wished I had done it sooner.  If the pain persists and your sure it's not just fatigue from overtraining, see a doc immediately.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Weird lower back injury from leg press machine....need analysis and advice...
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 05:38:19 AM »
Our great white neighbor to the north (Canada) has a socialized system  but with a much smaller population base. But it is still a hurry up and wait process. Seeing a medical professional may take months in advance. People in Canada who can afford it, come to the U.S. for any emergency treatments or operations. Even the Arabian oil sheiks come over here for operations (using quite a few Jewish doctor by the way). A lot of the uninsured here, that people running for elective office are shouting about, are illegals who should be back in their own country anyway. Looking for the U.S. free lunch..... again. Good Luck.

In addition to the long waiting periods, I also worry about the quality of the care administered.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
Re: Weird lower back injury from leg press machine....need analysis and advice...
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 12:56:07 PM »
So I was doing leg presses and I don't know what happened; maybe I arched my back but all of a sudden I had an excruciating pain in my lower back. Now the leg press is not an angled one, but looks like a car seat and you can adjust how crunched up your legs are from the start position; I do it so I start as if I were at the bottom of a squat, going up. I don't know exactly what happened; can anyone offer any insight? Will be doing leg extensions instead tommorow for obvious reasons (still have back pain)...

Thanks, D.

Happened to me too, in my case doing squats. I would just go to the emergency unit of a big hospital, preferrably early in the morning, when it's not crowded. That's what I did and within half an hour I had a diagnosis.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 12:58:28 PM »
Happened to me too, in my case doing squats. I would just go to the emergency unit of a big hospital, preferrably early in the morning, when it's not crowded. That's what I did and within half an hour I had a diagnosis.

I was a warrior today; I trained despite the pain; was careful wore a belt with most exercises.

Ein Freund von mir hat mir mal geraten, dass man Wege finden muss, an den Schmerzen vorbeizutrainieren, wenn es geht.
I hate the State.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 01:17:05 PM »
I was a warrior today; I trained despite the pain; was careful wore a belt with most exercises.

Ein Freund von mir hat mir mal geraten, dass man Wege finden muss, an den Schmerzen vorbeizutrainieren, wenn es geht.

I do that also, work around the pain. But in case of lower back, I would still first make sure it's nothing serious like a disc problem.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 02:20:50 PM »
I do that also, work around the pain. But in case of lower back, I would still first make sure it's nothing serious like a disc problem.

Jawohl!
I hate the State.

Redwingenator

• Getbig II
Where is the pain?
Does it extend into the leg(s)?
What makes the pain worse?
What makes the pain better?
Does it hurt when you cough or sneeze?
Can you stand and touch your toes, arch your back, lean to each side?
Does it hurt when you raise from a seated position?
Have you had anything like this before?
Is the pain sharp/dull/achy/burning/etc?