Author Topic: Improving Memory  (Read 5027 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Improving Memory
« on: April 29, 2008, 10:44:20 AM »
I am considering getting back into a scholastic program soon and would like to find a book to help with remembering and regurgitating information. Anyone know of a good one? It has been years since I have been in school and I just want to ensure that I am ready.

Thanks in advance!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
Re: Improving Memory
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 05:44:58 PM »
Learn some basic principles of memory: "Your Memory : How It Works and How to Improve It" by Kenneth L Higbee. A no BS book that teaches the fundamentals.

Really mastering visual/auditory mnemonic strategies is extremely useful, but it takes a lot of practice. Mindmapping = also useful. The Higbee book teaches you some basic mnemonics.

The most important thing: Some stuff in your curriculum you HAVE to memorize properly, so you can recall it without thinking about it. Map out all these things from your curriculum, and force yourself to retell these things from memory at least 200 times. Then you've commited the stuff to long term memory.
If certain information is to be applied to problems (like certain rules = applied to equations in algebra), you need to drill problems until you are blue in the face. Only when you can to a problem without much effort you have learned it properly.

Most people, including teachers has no idea how to effectively memorize and integrate huge amounts of information, thus, learn from the pros.

Thanks Debussey! That is one of the books I came across as I was searching earlier. Some reviews of the book said its too basic and others praised it (more of the latter). I say, if you get one good idea from any book, it was worth buying.

I will be going to school for medicine so I will have to memorize thousands of seemingly insignificant facts about the various medications as well as biology and physiology. I have no problem remembering something that I physically do (procedures, practical examinations, etc.), but if all you can do is read about something until it presents itself in real life, thats where I have a problem.

Thanks again and if you have more recommendations on such info, please let me know!

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 02:49:15 PM »

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 02:57:44 PM »
Thanks, MB. I will have to look at those later.

What is your experience with this? Have you used such things to improve your memory?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 09:51:32 AM »
wow, some good stuff here.  I just play Simon.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 06:56:54 AM »
I keep on forgetting to click in this thread.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 12:49:01 PM »
the more nights I drink wine, the duller I become during the day.  Does alcohol indeed make one stupid?

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 07:43:16 PM »
the more nights I drink wine, the duller I become during the day.  Does alcohol indeed make one stupid?

You remember being more lively and fun to be around while drinking? Its all in your head Im sure.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 10:17:54 AM »
I had an amazing memory until my twenties... now my memory is completely fucke up... I can't even memorize my own cell phone number... however (and this is the irritating part) if I am watching TV or listening to the radio while I am doing some other thing, I memorize, involutarialy, lots of information that keeps on banging my brain for hours. Then I find myself repeating, verbally, what I heard or saw... Strange as hell...
S

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 12:38:12 PM »
Simon rocks.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 12:49:19 PM »
At the University of Paris, during the era when paper was very expensive,(around 1000 AD) they taught a memory system.  When you start, you visualize your personal space, at first the size of a kitchen drawer.  You visualize the things you learn as material objects that you place in the drawer.  As your space fills up, you replace it with larger storage areas.  After the drawer fills up, you replace it with a cupboard, then a wardrobe, then a walk in closet.  At the end, your personal space is the size of Notre Dame Cathedral, with all you have learned sitting in the pews. 
It parallels what you achieve with weight training.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 12:45:12 AM »
Studying for Success

Dr Richa Palmer "Brain Train: Studying for Success"
Taylor & Francis (1996-07-01) | ISBN 041919830X | 352 Pages | PDF
about:
An updated edition of a highly successful study skills books. The style and approach is particularly suited to current student needs as the author stresses the importance of adopting a positive response to study. The lively and enthusiastic tone, and the practical advice on everything from planning revision to designing CVs gives this book enormous appeal to all, from A-level to mature students.
Review:

'The book has a general air of optimism with an emphasis on study for pleasure rather than as work and a positive self-directed approach to study' - Desmond Rutherford, University of Birmingham

Code: [Select]
http://rapidshare.com/files/154716335/BrainTrain-Studying_for_Success.rar
pass
Code: [Select]
www.maxgrab.org

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 05:33:06 PM »
Just play Simon online.

MB_722