Author Topic: It is time the Olympia was changed for the better.  (Read 1573 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
It is time the Olympia was changed for the better.
« on: September 28, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
I think Joe Weider made a mistake when he created a contest that guys could win year after year. In 1965 Joe and Ben came up with this idea because they were competing with the NABBA Mr Universe in England. Today there is no competition for the top contest.

In 1941 the AAU had to change the rules in the Mr America contest because it looked like John Grimek, who also won in 1940, would be winning every year. That was a good decision and we had a new champion every year and it gave everyone a chance to win the top title in America in those days.

I think much of the controversy over the years occurred when guys like Arnold, Lee Haney, Dorian and Ron Coleman won because of their reputations and not necessarily their condition in some years. We have seen how it has been a bit difficult to dethrone a current champion.

There could still be some Grand Prix shows where past champions can compete but the Olympia should be for non Mr Olympias. I would predict that the excitement and interest would improve, too.

Benito Mutumbo

• Getbig IV
Re: It is time the Olympia was changed for the better.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 06:06:08 PM »
mercy bump

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 06:12:26 PM »
You're ridiculous.
It's Hip to be Square!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 06:47:49 PM »
Not a bad idea, but the IFBB and that show are commercial enterprises masquerading as contests. They'll do whatever sells.

leon

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 07:26:02 PM »
 The need for a representative of the "sport" who can sell is, and long has been, in conflict with who deserves to win applying only the criteria of their condition on a given night.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 10:55:41 PM »
The highlight of the Olympia was the monkey jacket Bob Chick wore. I mean, as the annointed son of professional bodybuilders we deserve our reps ato be properly attired in official IFBB blue blazers. At least Bob showed some respect by wearing a tie. Not the official colour but I guess that is all the say he has in this sport! The show was not the same without Bob giving his biased opinions on the telecast.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 11:15:36 PM »

Do you really think Dexter "sells"?

When Jay and Phil are the alternatives Dexter's in the acceptable category.

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 11:18:40 PM »
When Jay and Phil are the alternatives Dexter's in the acceptable category.

Yet more BS from the king of BS/trolling on getbig LMFAO.

According to you, no one could beat Yates because he was white. Now we have a disrespectful, poorly spoken Mr. Olympia chosen over the "golden boy" Jay Cutler. Health is also much more well spoken and comes off as much more educated than Dexter. BUT, you know what? Dex had the best physique at the show and he won  ;)
Team Yates

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 11:51:07 PM »
Basile is making fun of Bobs $700 blazer but if we were to have Basile fill Bobs shoes, he would wear a jacket that he made himself (but was ripped off from other designers) and Basile's girlfriend would be handing out the medals...That is a 600 pound girlfriend handing out medals to bodybuilders...

What a fucking weird world you live in Basile...You bang 600 pound woman in the kids department of Toy's R Us and think thats cool but think that Chick's $700 coat is something that needs to be brought up...

Seriously bro, how in the world are you not hanging from a noose? And i truly mean no disrespect with that comment...But you truly do seem more delusional then King Kamali...

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 12:24:32 AM »
The haters love Getbig. Many probably have shitty lives so we have to give them some slack.

One thing I would do away with is that silly practice of having sponsors and promoters raising the hands of winners. WTF is that all about? Should cease asap.

Bob Chick is an insider with a Weider contract. That says it all. I am glad he has no shame and can take home his pay check to feed his family.

io856

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 12:56:07 AM »

One thing I would do away with is that silly practice of having sponsors and promoters raising the hands of winners. WTF is that all about? Should cease asap.

Why would a sponsor pay thousands of dollars to prize winnings yet have no public association with it?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 01:04:43 AM »
Maybe many of you haven't competed. Those of us who have deserve some dignity. No one should have his hand raised if he doesn't want to do that pose. That is essentially what it is. The stage belongs to the competitors and then winners, not the sponsors. They have exposure on programs, posters, etc. They can be introduced to the audience and perhaps donate trophies. Raising the hands should not be part of the procedure. It was a way that Joe and Ben got into photos at the Olympia and essentially proclaiming all winners as THEIR champions. Joe even said this. So, I can understand Joe wanting to do that but now that Joe won't be there anymore? then perhaps it is time to cease that practice. To me, it demeans the bodybuilders. This isn't boxing and so let us forget about raising hands in token of victory.

io856

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 01:57:14 AM »
No one should have his hand raised if he doesn't want to do that pose. That is essentially what it is. The stage belongs to the competitors and then winners, not the sponsors. They have exposure on programs, posters, etc. They can be introduced to the audience and perhaps donate trophies. Raising the hands should not be part of the procedure.

I totally understand where you are coming from. The main issues with attracting sponsorship to IFBB pro show contests is the lack of value of the brand association. Posters, programs really are limited forms of brand association. Unfortunately the capacity for signage on a bodybuilding stage is limited due to its potential to detract from the highly visual nature of the sport. Adding value for a bodybuilding sponsorship package should include a stage presence. The raising of the competitor's hand signifies not only respect by the sponsor to the athlete but also the athlete respecting the sponsor. Its very common nowadays for title sponsors to have a stage presence at their events. In Australia, its very evident e.g. KIA motors presenting a speech at the medal ceremony of the Australian Open.

I would suggest emailing your concerns to Bob Thick and the IFBB and see what responses you get.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 03:59:19 AM »
Speaking of change I think it's time for a fresh colostomy bag VBAZ.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 04:59:56 AM »
Bob initiates nothing important at all. He is part of the problem. He is most effective getting the IFBB message across to the errant muscleheads. Does anyone imagine that those who run the sport respect the bodybuilders? I have my doubts.