Author Topic: The late Curtis Leffler was the original Palumbo  (Read 37202 times)

schwarzenpecker

• Getbig II
  • You may have seen me at your local video store
Re: The late Curtis Leffler was the original Palumbo
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 10:51:05 PM »
I was at the 1996 USA  show that Titus won and what was shocking to me was that when they announced the top ten in the HW division, Titus was the smallest guy. Curtis Lefler, Dave Palumbo, Tom Prince and the rest, I can't remember the names, all dwarfed Titus. But Titus' posing and stage presence made him stand out. He really came alive when he posed, especially in the pose down.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 11:13:50 PM »
I met Curtis for the first time within the first week I moved to Hawaii in 1989.  My friend Duke introduced me to Harold who at the time owned World Gym in Waikiki and Harold sponsored me and let me train for free.  Harold was a great guy.  Duke my friend was a very popular guy on the gym scene in Hawaii and also a cop.  So he introduced me to everyone he knew just about.  I met Curtis at World Gym and of course we became friends.  He was strong back then but I think I was stronger at at that time.  We didn't really hang out but we did always seem to meet up at clubs and hung around there.  He was a good friend but not someone I hung around all the time with. 

He thought is was funny when at the gym some guy came up to me when I was benching and I had just finished a set and the guy asked me if I was "pau".  I thought he was asking me my name and I said "no my name is Keith"  Well Curtis and everyone else just started busting up and laughing so hard.  I didn't know why then someone told me what it meant and then I felt stupid.  Pau means done or finished.  He was asking me if I was done benching.

Anyway we then ended up training at Gold's on Kapiolani which at the time was the largest Gold's in the world at 56,000 sq ft.  We never really trained together but we trained at the same time and many times next to each other.  I know deep down we were trying to outdo the other on like the bench and incline.  He was definitely one of the strongest guys in Hawaii.  He won the Hawaii strongman numerous times.  He trained very intense.

In regards to the WSM he did after the BB show where he lost to Dillet I think he told me after the event that he was very drained from the show prior to the WSM.  He also said they had him be the first person to do most of the events and he had no idea how to do them or the technique.  He said it was very important to watch the guys before so you can pick up on some techniques but he didn't have that.  And anyone that says Curtis was an asshole at anytime is full of shit.  Like me it took a whole lot to get Curtis pissed off even just a little.  He was very friendly to everyone.  he was really a great guy and it is too bad what happened to him.  I saw him at Golds Venice about 2 weeks prior to his death when I was in LA seeing friends.  I later saw his brother at the Golds on Sahara and Decatur in Vegas and he told me how Curtis died. 

Everyone knew that Curtis was taking way to much shit.  His color was just not right.  And I would hope some of the people who were closer to him would have helped him more.  Its to bad what happened. 

We had a great time doing the tug-o-war event I put on too.  Even with me and Curtis along with Jim Mersberg and just about every other strong guy in Hawaii we lost to team with the heaviset guys weighing maybe 210.  We got our ass kicked.  The pic below is from that event.  I brought in my friend Bill to help referee.  the other guy is Norm Compton who is very popular in Hawaii and was Dolly Parton and Stallone bodyguard for many years.

chocolate fizz

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 11:22:09 PM »
great stuff keith.

It a shame all this shit happened back before digi cams became so easily available, half of this shit would make for some crazy footage.

Keith, what sort of in the gym stuff do you recall Curtis lifting?

avesher

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Oh Potato, Sleepy Time
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 11:25:47 PM »
I met Curtis for the first time within the first week I moved to Hawaii in 1989.  My friend Duke introduced me to Harold who at the time owned World Gym in Waikiki and Harold sponsored me and let me train for free.  Harold was a great guy.  Duke my friend was a very popular guy on the gym scene in Hawaii and also a cop.  So he introduced me to everyone he knew just about.  I met Curtis at World Gym and of course we became friends.  He was strong back then but I think I was stronger at at that time.  We didn't really hang out but we did always seem to meet up at clubs and hung around there.  He was a good friend but not someone I hung around all the time with. 

He thought is was funny when at the gym some guy came up to me when I was benching and I had just finished a set and the guy asked me if I was "pau".  I thought he was asking me my name and I said "no my name is Keith"  Well Curtis and everyone else just started busting up and laughing so hard.  I didn't know why then someone told me what it meant and then I felt stupid.  Pau means done or finished.  He was asking me if I was done benching.

Anyway we then ended up training at Gold's on Kapiolani which at the time was the largest Gold's in the world at 56,000 sq ft.  We never really trained together but we trained at the same time and many times next to each other.  I know deep down we were trying to outdo the other on like the bench and incline.  He was definitely one of the strongest guys in Hawaii.  He won the Hawaii strongman numerous times.  He trained very intense.

In regards to the WSM he did after the BB show where he lost to Dillet I think he told me after the event that he was very drained from the show prior to the WSM.  He also said they had him be the first person to do most of the events and he had no idea how to do them or the technique.  He said it was very important to watch the guys before so you can pick up on some techniques but he didn't have that.  And anyone that says Curtis was an asshole at anytime is full of shit.  Like me it took a whole lot to get Curtis pissed off even just a little.  He was very friendly to everyone.  he was really a great guy and it is too bad what happened to him.  I saw him at Golds Venice about 2 weeks prior to his death when I was in LA seeing friends.  I later saw his brother at the Golds on Sahara and Decatur in Vegas and he told me how Curtis died. 

Everyone knew that Curtis was taking way to much shit.  His color was just not right.  And I would hope some of the people who were closer to him would have helped him more.  Its to bad what happened. 

We had a great time doing the tug-o-war event I put on too.  Even with me and Curtis along with Jim Mersberg and just about every other strong guy in Hawaii we lost to team with the heaviset guys weighing maybe 210.  We got our ass kicked.  The pic below is from that event.  I brought in my friend Bill to help referee.  the other guy is Norm Compton who is very popular in Hawaii and was Dolly Parton and Stallone bodyguard for many years.

are you jealous that MemberX has accomplished more than you and I will ever accomplish in our life--and he is only 19 and is massive for only one year of lifting--ahahahahahahaahha--I nearly kept a straight face through that

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 11:41:42 PM »
I see Sherlock Holmes has joined the thread.
Brutal.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 11:42:27 PM »
great stuff keith.

It a shame all this shit happened back before digi cams became so easily available, half of this shit would make for some crazy footage.

Keith, what sort of in the gym stuff do you recall Curtis lifting?

I never really notice others in the gym.  I noticed Curtis when he was there because he lifted what I did or more.  The times I remember most is doing inclines next to each other.  315 was easy for him as it was for me.  Once we got to 405 it was harder but we still kept up with each other.  What freaked him out and others was that I usually warmed up with 315 on the incline cause I was already warmed up from benching.  So I generally didn't waste time doing 225.  I used to do inclines sometimes as a warmup to my shoulder training.  Then I could lift more in the incline cause I was not tired from the benching.  I seen him do a whole lot of weight on the deadlifts, and squats and bentover rows.  He went heavy all the time like I did.  I don't recall seeing him do arms but I am sure I saw him just don't remember.  My chest and shoulders were my strongest parts along with my arms. He had unreal strong legs when my legs were weak as shit.  I could no way squat 405 but I could calf raise a while lot.  I just never worked my quads and very little ham.

are you jealous that MemberX has accomplished more than you and I will ever accomplish in our life--and he is only 19 and is massive for only one year of lifting--ahahahahahahaahha--I nearly kept a straight face through that

I don't get jealous but I do envy people sometimes.  I am fat right now and easily the past 7 years has been the worst in my life.  But, when I look back at previous 42 years and what I have done I guess I am still pretty lucky.  Things are looking up for me finally so I should be back doing fun and memorable things soon.  And if he has accomplished more than I have and he is only 19 then he is truly one of the people I would envy. 

DOGGCRAPP

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 11:42:49 PM »
I talked to Curtis regularly back in the 90's ....as onlyme and stunt said he was a great guy. Curtis was one of the first bodybuilders I knew of that used Olive oil in abundance to gain weight because he had trouble with his appetite at times. The year Curtis died he had experimented with DNP and wound up in the hospital with an extremely dangerous body temperature and they had to put him on meds and in an ice bath (for 2-3 days I believe) to cool him down (and keep him alive)....he was very embarrased about that and wanted to keep it hush hush......it was a very short time later that he had the blood clot/heart attack......and I still to this day wonder how much the Dinitrophenol overdose had to do with that (along with his RBC's being thru the roof the DNP caused severe dehydration which is the keypoint setup to a bloodclot).

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 07:29:56 AM »
I talked to Curtis regularly back in the 90's ....as onlyme and stunt said he was a great guy. Curtis was one of the first bodybuilders I knew of that used Olive oil in abundance to gain weight because he had trouble with his appetite at times. The year Curtis died he had experimented with DNP and wound up in the hospital with an extremely dangerous body temperature and they had to put him on meds and in an ice bath (for 2-3 days I believe) to cool him down (and keep him alive)....he was very embarrased about that and wanted to keep it hush hush......it was a very short time later that he had the blood clot/heart attack......and I still to this day wonder how much the Dinitrophenol overdose had to do with that (along with his RBC's being thru the roof the DNP caused severe dehydration which is the keypoint setup to a bloodclot).
THAT SUCKS,HE WAS DRY AND HAD ONION SKIN ANYWAY,WHY PUSH IT,OR DID HE GET THAT WAY BY PUSHING THE ENVELOPE.HE HAD TO BE NATURALLY LEAN AND VASCULAR NO?

plutonianman

• Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 08:02:35 AM »
THAT SUCKS,HE WAS DRY AND HAD ONION SKIN ANYWAY,WHY PUSH IT,OR DID HE GET THAT WAY BY PUSHING THE ENVELOPE.HE HAD TO BE NATURALLY LEAN AND VASCULAR NO?

Why don't you ask him?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 09:02:01 AM »
Did Curtis have any real friends?  A wife?  gf?  bf?  Someone… anyone in his life who cared about him?  If he was walking around looking purple all the time, had onion thin skin, and having near death experiences that require hospitalization something was obviously not right.  Why didn’t someone intervene to help this guy?  :-[

DOGGCRAPP

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 10:41:05 AM »
Bay, both Phil Hernon and I talked to Curtis about it...in fact Phil and I discussed the best way to talk to Curtis about it between us....because how do you bring up the subject "Uhh Curtis you are purple". I came at him with a "People are saying this Curtis"......Curtis kind of shrugged if off with "ive always had this color skin even before I starting lifting".....the whole DNP thing noone knew about until after he wound up in the hospital.
As far as the sauce.....Curtis swore up and down he wasnt abusing himself.....you can only suggest so much to someone....they are their own man and make their own decisions....

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 10:54:40 AM »
quality natural physique...

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 02:48:40 PM »
Curtis was just some  'gym hero' type who was friendly to all, but had no true and meaningful relationships!

Yes, he was sickly and running 'close to the edge' yet no one tried to help him!

Everyone is quick to jump on this bandwagon and sing the praises of Curtis, yet, not one these spineless-nuthuggers would/did anything  to help him out; as he spiralled into  drug and psychological abyss!

Curtis died without any 'real' friends.  How sad and pathetic.

Well, it seems, nothing at all has changed within this sordid and drug riddled  pass-time. 

What a shallow and meaningless so-called sport!

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 10:15:45 PM »
I remember seeing Curtis hanging out with the UFC fighters. I think he was part of the Lions Den team for awhile there. I know there was also a time when Dan Freeman hung out with the UFC...I can't remember which team for sure.

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 10:27:22 PM »
Curtis wanted his cake and to eat it too.

Curtis found it difficult to decide whether he was a going to be a bodybuilder or have a 'real' shot at the WSM.

The earlier dehydration, then blood clot should have been warning signs.  However, he was surrounded by too many 'fake' people. 

Yes, if he actually had just 'one' true friend then maybe he would still be alive today!

It is true he was a lovely person.  This outwardly friendly exterior masked the torment he felt within!

Gino30

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2008, 04:10:21 AM »
hank....you say it like your mans best freind....lol....

maybe curtis never developed a truly close relationship with people on a level that gave then the chance tohelp him

ppl on here are saying how they knew him slightly, good and very good......in either case, doesnt make that person responsilbe for this guys life

stick to sarcastic and biting attacks on other pros.....go beyond that scope and you're like a metaphor for GH15 and his mental political posts

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2008, 04:21:17 AM »
Curtis was one of the first bodybuilders I knew of that used Olive oil in abundance to gain weight because he had trouble with his appetite at times.

A pioneer of the Falcon method.
O

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2008, 04:27:23 AM »
I don't think this guy ever sold anyone fake gear.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2008, 09:39:39 AM »

At his weight, Keith "weighs in" 24/7.

Any and all stories he might tell about this will involve at least four well-known celebrities, exotic locales, and a 1980's sports car.

Sounds like you are little jealous.  Is there something you want to tell us?
No Worries 4 me

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2008, 03:44:23 PM »

At his weight, Keith "weighs in" 24/7.

Any and all stories he might tell about this will involve at least four well-known celebrities, exotic locales, and a 1980's sports car.
Fucking brutal.

chocolate fizz

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2008, 03:56:05 PM »

He weighed 300lb, I think he did a bit more than merely 'wanting'

ninja turtle

• Getbig II
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2008, 04:06:12 PM »

Curtis found it difficult to decide whether he was a going to be a bodybuilder or have a 'real' shot at the WSM.

The earlier dehydration, then blood clot should have been warning signs.  However, he was surrounded by too many 'fake' people. 

Yes, if he actually had just 'one' true friend then maybe he would still be alive today!

It is true he was a lovely person.  This outwardly friendly exterior masked the torment he felt within!

WAWAVEVA

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2012, 02:46:07 AM »
Anyone know Curtis' best lifts/feats of strength?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2012, 08:28:55 AM »
he did a strongman show espn one yr ,,didn't beat the more heavier strenght trained guys but he looked insane conditioning wise...

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2012, 09:45:51 AM »
Mohammed Benaziza was one of the first bodybuilders to abuse insulin and place well.