Author Topic: Vitamin C following a workout?  (Read 8864 times)

barrettaswine

• Getbig II
Re: Vitamin C following a workout?
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2008, 03:20:02 AM »
Ascorbic acid or calcium ascorbate???

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2008, 03:24:12 AM »
4 to 6 grams daily for years and my arteries are 100% clear as of 6 months ago. Is it the Vit C? I believe it is and that's all that matters.  :)

bump for the truth  8)
175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2008, 03:24:47 AM »
Ascorbic acid or calcium ascorbate???
ascorbic acid only
175lbs by 31st July

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2008, 03:48:02 AM »
ascorbic acid only
exactly----its ph is formulated so it doesnt cause upset stomachs in large doses

barrettaswine

• Getbig II
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2008, 04:06:16 AM »
Acobic acid is acidic. calcium ascorbate is ph neutral.

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2008, 06:34:35 AM »

c'on Luke...You showed up on an IFBB stage with a physique that would have been out of the top 5 at most local state shows...You should be open to anything my friend ;)

I'm not Luke Wood.
i

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2008, 09:46:14 AM »
bump for the truth  8)

Had an EBT Scan done. Do a google search if you want to know more. The test was $450 and my insurance reimbursed me over 90%. Mystery solved.  ;D

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2008, 11:17:30 AM »
I've read it kills free radicals in the body, helps immune system, etc.
I've also read it, like NSAIDS, prevents the muscles from growing following training.

Do you take vitamin C following your workout?

If you take steroids, wont matter....

If youre drug free and have been lifting heavy for more than 4 years it wont matter either.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2008, 11:56:55 AM »
I'm not Luke Wood.

Don't be humble luke.  You looked great in australia this week.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2008, 11:58:06 AM »
exactly----its ph is formulated so it doesnt cause upset stomachs in large doses

That's not my experience.

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2008, 12:30:03 PM »
Don't be humble luke.  You looked great in australia this week.

lol
i

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2008, 01:33:15 PM »
I've read it kills free radicals in the body, helps immune system, etc.
I've also read it, like NSAIDS, prevents the muscles from growing following training.

Do you take vitamin C following your workout?

It depends on your taste in music I guess. If you like her, listen to it.

E

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2008, 09:22:57 PM »
I'm not Luke Wood.

Your all the same, whats it matter...

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2008, 10:26:09 PM »
don't take vic pre or post unless your cutting bro, when you cut that is when you need vit c the most

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2008, 04:48:52 AM »
I have 1 gram of Vit C with breakfast, 1 gram with dinner and 1 gram after workout.  Sometimes with lunch and other meals too.  I'm growing.

paul84

• Getbig II
  • Nuke 'em, Rico!
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2008, 09:53:51 PM »
I failed Chemistry I.

Can anyone break it down in layman's terms?  

Vit C before workout - good?
Vit C after workout - bad?

Simplest advice is to keep it within the moderate range.  There's really no evidenced-based reason to exceed 1g/day, however you'll always hear anecdotal evidence in favor of, or against, megadosing. Rather than searching through articles on pubmed and reading abstracts without actually looking at the statistics (sample size, alpha level, power analysis, etc.), it's much easier and more efficient to look through a systematic review database like Cochrane.  Experts get paid to go through all the experiments involving say antioxidant supplementation and it's effect on X, carefully examine the statistics, and give a systematic review of the current literature.  I think for most antioxidant systematic reviews, you'll find that large enough studies to produce statistically significant data yield neutral results.  Typically, positive and negative results are more common in small-sample size studies here.

It's also hard to separate out what's actually effective from anecdotal evidence since most people who megadose one vitamin also take other supplements.  For example, someone megadoses C (>2000mg/day) and E  (>1100 units/day) and thinks his arteries are better off as a result.  Well, Vitamin E can neutralize oxidized-LDL, C may have some function in regenerating E, assisting in lipid transport, functioning as a reducing agent etc., so it's all very connected, but taking it overboard isn't necessarily the answer.  The problems I've seen with Vitamin C megadosing are GI distress and urine acidosis, leading to uric acid stones, but the stones aren't very common.

You probably won't see much of an effect at all in terms of muscle mass.  The article referenced earlier concludes decreased cellular adaptation from mitochondrial markers, but if there is any gross effect, it will probably be seen in slow twitch adaptation to sustained stress (think stabilizing muscles that are always at work).  Hypertrophy will probably not be significantly affected. 

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2008, 09:11:01 AM »
I take a pack everyday.

google fresh start vitamin company,

The best deals around.
Most are all show no go!

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2008, 09:12:54 AM »
http://www.freshstartvitamins.com/
GReat deal on vitamins
and all in packets.  High potency.
Most are all show no go!

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2008, 12:04:32 PM »
I have a decent home gym - everything but a squat rack - but I can't lift in florida during the summer much, as it's 92 degrees at 7 am most days.

uh, perhaps some light ac or even a fan would do the trick

i guess that's a big NO on the ac and/or fan  ;D 

suckmymuscle

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »
I think it was an MD, I'll look.
The article was about how the things you eat that make you healthy, are often counter-productive to muscle growth.  Fish, for example, is great for health, but may retard growth following a workout.  Vitamin C is another.  

Something about how our bodies release the toxic free radicals as a result of the cell destruction of lifting.  That is a good thing for muscle building, but bad for toxin buildup.

Vit C kills free radicals, but also kills growth as a result.  Not sure how much I'm paraphrasing or remembering correctly.  I'm all about killing free radicals, and I like my vitamin C and E a few times daily. JUst didn't know if it was particularly useful, or counter-productive, following a workout.

Pseudo-science at it's best. What causes the muscle to grow is the nerve stimuli that indicates the myosin and actin filaments have been damaged, not the free radicals released by this damage. Don't buy MD: toilet tissue is better and cheaper for the purpose MD serves.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2008, 04:54:53 PM »

the opposite of what your claiming is true.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2008, 05:39:18 PM »
vitamin c is great for stress. it is especially good for your adrenal glands during periods of emotional and physical stress. we are one of the few animals that do not produce vitamin c naturally.

measure the vitamin c levels in a horse at room temperature, then measure the horses vit c levels when you put the it in the freezing cold. the vit c levels will be much higher in the frigid temperatures. they produce it naturally as a response to the stress from the cold.

humans dont have this ability, so vit c supplementation is important if youre looking to strive for optimum health. no more than 200-250 mg per dose, as anything significantly greater is a waste. take this dosage several times throughout the day. anywhere from a total of 1000-1500 mg per day works for most people.

when taking vitamin c, you must also be sure to have a good intake of bioflavonoids, which are found naturally in the pulps of fruit. without the intake of bioflavonoids, a lot of vitamin c can be loss due to lack of absorption.

vitamin c wont make you pack on muscle though, and whether before or after a workout, i wouldnt worry about that.

California Muscle

• Getbig II
  • War in the West
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2008, 08:52:25 PM »
i guess that's a big NO on the ac and/or fan  ;D 

Maybe he's not into bodybuilding.  Did you ever think of that?  :)
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬►

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2008, 09:00:13 PM »
Maybe he's not into bodybuilding.  Did you ever think of that?  :)

But I live here.