Author Topic: DAVID PAUL......STRONGEST MAN IN THE GYM, STRONGEST.....  (Read 8439 times)

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
Re: DAVID PAUL......STRONGEST MAN IN THE GYM, STRONGEST.....
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 02:59:11 PM »
Actually I would to make a fair assessment of his physique.

Is there a problem with that?

Calm down Suzy, it's just the internet.
P

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 03:13:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure Mike Mentzer said David Paul was the strongest individual he had seen. At least on the leg extension machine lol.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2008, 03:36:05 PM »
David Paul is the ONLY old timer who still trains at Golds Venice-Jerry Brainum from the 60's still may, but I dont know for sure. Ill ask Jerry if he stil hits Venice Golds.

But I dont think any from the 70's or early 80's are still around.
Wrong , Wrong , Wrong !!!! IFBB Pro from the 70's Steve Davis trains early in the morning at 5am. So does a top amateur competitor from the late 70's Larry Jackson too. Larry competed against Pearson and Teufel in the America. Strydom still trains there, if you want to call him an oldtimer. 70's IFBB legend Eddie Giuliani still hits some workouts there from time to time. Sorry Bro.

Topskin69

• Getbig IV
  • Deshay with the gauge, Vanilla with the nine.
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2008, 05:16:38 PM »

David Paul is the ONLY old timer who still trains at Golds Venice-Jerry Brainum from the 60's still may, but I dont know for sure. Ill ask Jerry if he stil hits Venice Golds.

But I dont think any from the 70's or early 80's are still around.

This isnt quite true.... Lou "Douchbag" Ferrigno still trains there pretty often.... and I could have swore I have seen Bob Paris in there a couple of times in the last 6 months...

Also Gary Strydom still trains/ lives in Venice...

M!

chris2489

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2008, 06:09:11 PM »
10 years ago David Paul ooked as skinny as he does today-and he aint shit today.

Lets see how you compare to him. A more recent pic

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 06:23:02 PM »
I find it funny when guys say David is a skinny shit.  He still is 225 or so.  And he is skinny compared to how he was before.  there is a reaosn why they both got so skinny.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 06:32:40 PM »
They look like they had hair that would make a Puerto Rican stripper jealous
$

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 06:46:16 PM »
Wrong , Wrong , Wrong !!!! IFBB Pro from the 70's Steve Davis trains early in the morning at 5am. So does a top amateur competitor from the late 70's Larry Jackson too. Larry competed against Pearson and Teufel in the America. Strydom still trains there, if you want to call him an oldtimer. 70's IFBB legend Eddie Giuliani still hits some workouts there from time to time. Sorry Bro.

And HERE'S LARRY................... ..............

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2008, 07:05:39 PM »

I saw Steve Davis back in 89 or 90, told me he was in the film/video business, looks like he hardly trained at all. But Steve Davis never really trained at Gold's Gym venice on a regular basis, he had his own gym in Torrence?? or somewhere. Cant recall.

Gary Strydom has been at Venice Gold's since the mid 80's, well past the they point when Gold's moved into the Hampton Drive location, so I don't really call him an old timer.

Eddie Guliiani was the manager of World Gym from the late 70's until they closed, and he trained exclusively at WG  from 77 on as far as I know-he may be at Gold's now because WG MDR closed last year.

Lets see how you compare to him. A more recent pic

I never said he didn't look good, I said he was skinny, and your pic proves that.

He is lean and thin, not big. Certainly not big compared to his peak in the late 70's early 80's.

I find it funny when guys say David is a skinny shit.  He still is 225 or so.  And he is skinny compared to how he was before.  there is a reaosn why they both got so skinny.

Last time I saw David Paul he was not 225#, maybe 215#-220# max-and for a guy that is 6' tall  or close to it that is not what I would call big-I would not call 225# for a guy 6' tall big either.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2008, 07:15:45 PM »

Last time I saw David Paul he was not 225#, maybe 215#-220# max

What are you a fucking human scale?

what a ridiculous comment.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2008, 08:39:04 PM »
I saw Steve Davis back in 89 or 90, told me he was in the film/video business, looks like he hardly trained at all. But Steve Davis never really trained at Gold's Gym venice on a regular basis, he had his own gym in Torrence?? or somewhere. Cant recall.

Gary Strydom has been at Venice Gold's since the mid 80's, well past the they point when Gold's moved into the Hampton Drive location, so I don't really call him an old timer.

Eddie Guliiani was the manager of World Gym from the late 70's until they closed, and he trained exclusively at WG  from 77 on as far as I know-he may be at Gold's now because WG MDR closed last year.

I never said he didn't look good, I said he was skinny, and your pic proves that.

He is lean and thin, not big. Certainly not big compared to his peak in the late 70's early 80's.

Last time I saw David Paul he was not 225#, maybe 215#-220# max-and for a guy that is 6' tall  or close to it that is not what I would call big-I would not call 225# for a guy 6' tall big either.

In 2004 he weighed exactly 225 when he trained at my gym in Kona.  So not sure when the last time you saw him but instead of guessing he weighed himself on the scale.

dodger

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2008, 08:47:48 PM »
a very good friend of david and mine told me he is around 215 rite now,he doesnot care  whatsoever about being big anymore,just wants to stay lean,all that is behind him now,hes into his art and music....so what if isnt 270 or 170,hes still a great guy and super talented,check him out at flickr.com

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2008, 09:29:12 PM »
What are you a fucking human scale?

what a ridiculous comment.

Yes  :D

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2008, 01:49:57 AM »

Keith what were the most memorable feats of strength you saw the brothers perform?

Gino30

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2008, 02:08:54 AM »
pee pee toucher vids = fail

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2008, 04:17:19 AM »

Keith what were the most memorable feats of strength you saw the brothers perform?

Did they squat?

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2008, 07:08:23 AM »
Did they squat?

not much, apparently

Galvatron

• Getbig III
  • I have contacts in Washington
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2008, 07:14:04 AM »
david paul was fucking awesome

why wear the tank top at all?

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2008, 07:41:34 AM »
Yes they did squat, but they never built more than 28 inch thighs.
. They drew lots of criticism for their legs and it wasn't like they didn't want to develop them. They had VERY small waists and hips and this probably had something to do with their lack of ability to build big impressive legs.

Peter had a bad knee too. Not an excuse or anything, I am just mentioning it now that we are on the subject.

The brothers also did deadlifts and heavy ass BB rows..500 lbs on the barbell rows (cheated of course, like ron's and others) and as I remember it from my research low reps with 700 on deadlifts (low reps..that's like a double, MAYBE a triple).

These guys were silly strong, and their strength was - and is - legendary.  Ask anyone who's trained with them.

Hopefully Keith can tell us some more. 

Remember, these guys did 150 lbs DB shoulder presses when they were young...365 lbs BTN BB presses, and so on.

There are people here who've seen them train. They can tell us more.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2008, 07:48:40 AM »
why wear the tank top at all?

some gyms require "clothing"...of course the way around that if you want to exhibit yourself is to wear skimply clothing...

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2008, 08:29:19 AM »
there's a picture in Bob Kennedy's book Beef It of one of them squatting around 500 in jeans and knee wraps, but their other lifts were legendary, 500 pound reverse grip bench presses, 315 pound for reps presses behind the neck, 150 pound db curls, etc.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2008, 08:34:18 AM »
BTW he's hardly "skinny" in the most recent picture of him, he's smaller than he was back in the 80's but still looks like he carries a damn good amount of muscle, you have to remember that he was probably around 275 or so at 5'9" in pretty good condition before.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2008, 08:37:01 AM »
This it Quakor?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2008, 08:38:29 AM »

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2008, 08:41:40 AM »
This it Quakor?

if it's the shot of him squatting wearing a baseball cap backwards, a flannel shirt and jeans with the old fat 45 pound plates standing on a little board then that's the one.